Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Stokes joins Sobers and Kallis as part of the select group to score over 6000 runs and take 200 wickets in test cricket. Not bad company!

• Like 1

It's a really good period for England test cricket; Anderson signing off in style, Root approaching 12,000 runs, Stokes joining that very select club of all rounders, and, beneath those legendary figures we a debutant with eight wickets and another that scored 70 and hit a ball clear out of Lords. A lot to be pleased with.

• Like 1

just need opponents to be up for test cricket. It'll be very dull if we just end up having big series v australia and india. I want 5 match series against all the nations :(

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

just need opponents to be up for test cricket. It'll be very dull if we just end up having big series v australia and india. I want 5 match series against all the nations :(

There a lot of reasons for the decline of the likes of Sri Lanka, South Africa and the West Indies and the inability of Bangladesh and latterly Ireland to kick on.

But the main one for me is the fact that us, Aus and India take the large majority of the cash from the ICC and then scraps get given to the rest of the nations. Then to try and make up the shortfall and the massive cash disadvantage compared to us, Australia and India they create T20 franchise leagues, first-class cricket gets less attention and by nature, the test team suffers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

There a lot of reasons for the decline of the likes of Sri Lanka, South Africa and the West Indies and the inability of Bangladesh and latterly Ireland to kick on.

But the main one for me is the fact that us, Aus and India take the large majority of the cash from the ICC and then scraps get given to the rest of the nations. Then to try and make up the shortfall and the massive cash disadvantage compared to us, Australia and India they create T20 franchise leagues, first-class cricket gets less attention and by nature, the test team suffers.

Rugby has the same issue. A refusal by the larger nations to realise they need to take less money out of the pot in order to grow the game. Although rugby isn't totally dying on its arse like Test cricket is.

• Like 1

Reckon they get 30-45 minutes of play tomorrow, if that.

Will be a shame for Jimmy's final game to end in front of a quarter full Lords but it is what it is.

4 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Reckon they get 30-45 minutes of play tomorrow, if that.

Will be a shame for Jimmy's final game to end in front of a quarter full Lords but it is what it is.

If I had a ticket for tomorrow I wouldn't even consider going. Be lucky to see an hours play. Maybe the loss of revenue will make England realise the dire straights Test Cricket is in. Can't blame the rain anymore. 

Edited by villa89

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

If I had a ticket for tomorrow I wouldn't even consider going. Be lucky to see an hours play. Maybe the loss of revenue will make England realise the dire straights Test Cricket is in. Can't blame the rain anymore. 

Nah, the ECB will ignore it as they have done with the men's hundred which has been a financial disaster. 

Test cricket is the only form of the game that's sold out this summer at Edgbaston - I think rumours of its demise are a bit previous, It's still the best form of the game to watch by a distance for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

Nah, the ECB will ignore it as they have done with the men's hundred which has been a financial disaster. 

Has it? The stadiums have looked pretty full to me. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has it? The stadiums have looked pretty full to me. 

https://www.memerycrystal.com/the-hundred-hit-for-six/#:~:text=The Telegraph has reported that,in the first year and

The Telegraph has reported that Deloitte previously valued the competition at £1bn in 2023, but another report produced in 2023 by Fanos Hira, a chartered accountant and former chair of Worcestershire County Cricket Club, showed that the competition generated only 41.8% of the income predicted in the first year and ended with losses of £9m in its first two years.

That's not including the money they paid the counties not involved in it (IE the non test ground counties) to give it the go ahead in the first place. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â