Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

yet new Zealand only just won it. They really struggle defending smaller totals. They'd have been better off giving Australia another 60 odd runs, they'd have paced their chase more responsibily then - although looks like Starc bowled very well mind.

We're just shit at one day cricket. I think it was obvious from the start that we will lose to the established nations and scrape wins over the minnows. 

Getting rid of Cook has made no difference whatsoever

I went to bed after Root put down Thirimanne when he was on 4 I think. Regulation slip catch which Butler should have gone for. That would have made a huge difference! For me the seam bowling is a bigger problem than the batting. 300+ should be a competitive score and they chased it down with ease. Anderson and Broad coming back into the side have made us even worse than we were in Sri Lanka. Look at Australia and New Zealand new ball attack, Lack of variety. Woakes is a new ball bowler and yet they change it to Broad right before the first match. Whats the point, I give up on late nights, lack of sleep to watch this rubbish. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

English Cricket (and all our team sport) reveres the conformal, the statistic, the percentage, the adherence to planning and the belief that the tactic is everything. There's not really any room given for anything outside the tightly controllable.

Watching the other sides (the good ones) they're much more based around individual talent and ability, thinking on the go, according to the state of the game. That Australia NZ game was a brilliant example. All kinds of creative field placings, bowling bowlers for longer when they're on a hot streak. Going for the win in different ways as the game changed.

We're just timid and predictable in comparison, yet bizarrely, with all this control and regimen by the coaches, their thinking is muddled.

The players are good, it's just that they're handicapped mentally by the way they've been brought up to play and the way that they're being told to play.

It's fine to play conventionally, as a batsman - Bell, on form, does it, Sangakkarra does it, Joe Root does it - it works when the game situation allows it - so it's fine for an opener, on a good pitch, say. But the mental befuddlement that hit our middle overs batting, and the lunacy that brought in Balance at 3 for Taylor who was doing really well there, and the way Morgan batted - taking forever to score not many runs when we should have been accelerating, the inflexible batting order...

And the coach is not up to the job.

Yes we are far too rigid and stubborn. Why the heck is Ballance still playing. He's a good batsman but he's in no form and we don't need a blocker at 3. Why do we refuse to take the batting power play early when batsmen are in. I don't blame Morgan for the way he batted. At the end of the day we got over 300 and we should have been able to defend that. Wickets always bring a reduction in scoring rate and our inability to get wickets was the reason we lost. Not one wicket for a seamer!

A little disappointed England weren't in Ireland's pool tbh, not wishing to stoke the flames or anything, but I think we'd be almost certain for the quarters if we still had England to play

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â