Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Brilliant Ireland. It makes a mockery of the icc wanted to cut the amount of associate members for the next world cup to 2. Ireland is my second country. My late father was from Kildare.

To be fair only Ireland and Afghanistan are half decent, the rest are a waste of time really. Hopefully one day Ireland can become a full Test nation anyway. The competition is just too long for me to get that excited about, certainly at this stage.

Brilliant Ireland. It makes a mockery of the icc wanted to cut the amount of associate members for the next world cup to 2. Ireland is my second country. My late father was from Kildare.

To be fair only Ireland and Afghanistan are half decent, the rest are a waste of time really. Hopefully one day Ireland can become a full Test nation anyway. The competition is just too long for me to get that excited about, certainly at this stage.

Holland have done pretty well over the years. They beat England. Scotland aren't bad. 

How is the game going to develop if its run by the same 10 teams all the time qualifying. What have Bangladesh or Zimbabwe done to deserve automatic qualification

Look at Fifa World Cup, they allowed lesser regions/teams to qualify and over time these teams have got better, it took for example US or South Korea a long time to be taken serious but if you played them tomorrow then it would be a tough game

• Like 1

I don't think Holland have done it in 50 over stuff so much. I think a preliminary tournament before the actual cup starts would be better to get the best two associates. Otherwise, the Champions Trophy is a much better tournament IMO.

They pushed England all the way in the 2011 world cup scoring 292 with Ryan Ten doeschate scoring a 100.

Terrible start for the Scots

I don't think Holland have done it in 50 over stuff so much. I think a preliminary tournament before the actual cup starts would be better to get the best two associates. Otherwise, the Champions Trophy is a much better tournament IMO.

They pushed England all the way in the 2011 world cup scoring 292 with Ryan Ten doeschate scoring a 100.

Terrible start for the Scots

I love Ryan Ten Doeschante - he's a beast.

How is the game going to develop if its run by the same 10 teams all the time qualifying. What have Bangladesh or Zimbabwe done to deserve automatic qualification

Look at Fifa World Cup, they allowed lesser regions/teams to qualify and over time these teams have got better, it took for example US or South Korea a long time to be taken serious but if you played them tomorrow then it would be a tough game

Aren't likely Ireland or Afghanistan (whoever is ranked highest affiliate at the time) playing the 10th ranked test nation in a series in 2017 where the winner gets (or retains) test status? Ireland could well be an automatic qualifier for the next world cup themselves

Edited by P3te

only the top 8 looks like getting automatic qualification for next World Cup so we would still have to compete in a play-off with more than likely Bangladesh or Zimbabwe in Bangladesh. Also by the time that comes around im sure England will be taking a few more of our players 

It's a difficult choice for Irish cricketers, unless the ICC would allow them to play ODIs for Ireland and Tests for England, there are inevitably going to be some players who are left in limbo. Morgan has been quite lucky in that he had a central contract for a couple of years plus the IPL, the others have been left chasing an England place but not quite getting there but giving up the chance to play for Ireland, thus getting the worst of both worlds. As a Sussex fan I'd love to have seen Joyce play Tests, he for me has been a class apart in county cricket since Ramprakash retired.

think the problems that the players are facing now could benefit the Ireland team in the future as they will look at Rankin and see what happened to him. Maybe best stick it out with Ireland as the clamour for Test status will only get bigger after this. Saw Ponting and Michael Holding back us

though I think of current squad only Dockrell be taken by England as O'Briens are getting on and Joyce wont go back and Stirling wouldnt fit the England "fitness" criteria no matter how good he is

Following the NZ/Eng game on Cricinfo whilst at work and wow, looks like England were rubbish.

I didn't realise NZ were this good and England were this terrible.

Edited by Ghost

McCullum put on a real show before he was bowled. Incredibly aggressive batting. The English bowlers just didn't know what to do at all. Though based on their performance I'd have knocked up a quick half ton in my pomp against them too :lol: (48* off 16 was my sloggy best - it should also be noted I had more ducks than scoring games)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â