Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Incredibly sad news, I hope the ECB do a minute silence or something before the Ashes tests so fans on both side of the pond can show their respect.

Not just Abbott but I think the game itself will take a bit of time to recover. Even if your Jimmy or Broad roaring in to bowl a bouncer you have to have it in your mind and for all the openers across the world who are ducking and weaving every day, even subconsciously they are going to be a bit more twitchy.

Time is a good healer but I think all of Cricket and the fans will take a little while to get over the shock of this.

gotta feel for the lad who bowled the bouncer.how the hell does he carry on playing,poor kid.

It'll be very difficult, I guess.

I heard Peter Lever being interviewed on breakfast telly this morning regarding Ewen Chatfield and it sounded like it still shook him a fair bit 40 years on (and Chatfield obviously survived - went on to play test cricket for over a decade).

• Like 1

horrible for everybody both Hughes and Abbott and their families, the game is played hard but fair and nobody wants anybody to get seriously hurt and is very very sad to hear. think the cricket organisers rightly or wrongly will look at bouncers and probably try move them out of the game because of this even though as one doctor said it was a freak tragedy

Terrible tragedy.

I remember when my brother was playing for the local u16 team. It was slightly drizzling and he was fielding at point. Got hit in the head with a ball from a sliced shot. Had to be rushed to hospital and was there for about a week. His skull just above his eye had slightly caved in. Luckily there was no damage to his brain and he made a full recovery.

I was really surprised by how many people did't know how hard a cricket ball was, especially travelling at that pace.

horrible for everybody both Hughes and Abbott and their families, the game is played hard but fair and nobody wants anybody to get seriously hurt and is very very sad to hear. think the cricket organisers rightly or wrongly will look at bouncers and probably try move them out of the game because of this even though as one doctor said it was a freak tragedy

I can guarantee they won't get rid of bouncers. What they need is to keep improving the protective gear, a bit like a lot of safety advancements in technology it takes a tragic event to get people working harder to get things 100%. 8 deaths in the UK playing cricket in 400 years suggests it's almost as risk-free a sport as you can get.

The late Tony Greig used to say, there was a 100 year gap between the invention of the box and the invention of the cricket helmet, which shows man's priorities.

• Like 1

Terrible tragedy.

I remember when my brother was playing for the local u16 team. It was slightly drizzling and he was fielding at point. Got hit in the head with a ball from a sliced shot. Had to be rushed to hospital and was there for about a week. His skull just above his eye had slightly caved in. Luckily there was no damage to his brain and he made a full recovery.

I was really surprised by how many people did't know how hard a cricket ball was, especially travelling at that pace.

Yeah, in my brief and pathetic school cricket career I was bloody terrified of the thing. Hockey balls as well. Rugby I wasn't scared of in the slightest, although I ended up with a neck injury that still gives trouble.

Anyway, RIP Phil Hughes :(

England obviously need to get rid of Cook as captain and have Hales and Ali at the top of the order and as much as I think Bell is a great player he is not suited to one day internationals and needs to be replaced with Taylor and Taylor being made captain,he has done a wonderful job as Notts captain especially in the one day format.

Edited by Avfc96

I doubt it.

There may be something done about short pitched bowling to lower order players, though (even though Hughes obviously wasn't).

I played in a (very low) league game where we got skittled (our side were reported on the Charlie Colville programme as a shocking 'village team' - all out for 13) and the guy coming in at 9 got bounced first ball.

It was utterly out of order: we were 11 for 7 at the time and the bowler just wanted to hurt someone and he did. The lad was lay prone and the bowler walked back past the umpire saying, "Shudda worn a lid."

Utter clearing in the woods.

• Like 4

Its a tragic accident, however I don't think you can take the bouncers out of the game as it will become a very boring game without them. Batsmen are far better protected than they were 30 or 40 years ago. They can modify the head gear so the possibility of these accidents become less. 

Watched that this morning, and not ashamed to admit I shed a tear. Michael Clarke has gone up in my estimation in all of this. He always seemed like a decent bloke to be fair, although a couple of my mates who are Aussies have told me he's had a rep of being a bit of a big head. He gave a wonderful account of his friend and team mate, and has given us a sense of the unity in the Aussies team. I also think this is going to take a little bit of needle out the next Ashes series. Can't see the same level sledging under the circumstances, and certainly can't see many bouncers being bowled at tail-enders. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Woakes is the first Englishman to take two 6 wicket hauls in ODI's and the 8th overall.

His previous 6 for was against Aus in 2011 at the Gabba- 6-45.

How Cook keeps getting back into the team I do not know, his ODI record for the past 2 years is appalling and his captaincy is even worse. 

Since September 2012, England have won just 1 of the 6 ODI series in which Cook has captained.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â