Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

We can't just keep on dropping everyone, though. That's what we used to do (and the Aussies did) before we realized that it doesn't really get you anywhere.

If the side isn't good enough tnen I'm not sure that a second XI would be.

There seem to be a lot of batsmen making the same sorts of mistakes (especially to short balls - you're not going to hit it without looking at it unless you're Botham or Richards) and bowlers making the same sorts of mistakes, too. That should lead one to look at the England set up (from captain to backroom staff to coaches to coach to the top) which has been heavily criticized over the past year or so for a number of things.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Moores should never have been appointed, his record against top test sides was and is still appalling.

Oh and Lapal talking about playing like Boycott, first game for my secondary school 6/7 years ago I got 5 off 40 balls and caused us too lose the match. 

• Like 3

Moores should never have been appointed, his record against top test sides was and is still appalling.

Oh and Lapal talking about playing like Boycott, first game for my secondary school 6/7 years ago I got 5 off 40 balls and caused us too lose the match. 

haha!

People were getting right pissed off at me.. It was only a game with family and friends, think I lasted about 30 mins before pressure got the better of me and I just launched one.

• Like 2

haha!

People were getting right pissed off at me.. It was only a game with family and friends, think I lasted about 30 mins before pressure got the better of me and I just launched one.

Eventually the batsman at the other end ran me out. Did improve though as was the opening batsman for the rest of the year and was scoring quickly for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Appalling end to a match that England should never have lost, after winning the toss on that wicket. Drastic action needs to be taken here. I'd be looking at dropping Cook and Prior for a start off, and maybe bring Jordan back in for Stokes.

Edited by dAVe80

Time for change.

Cook

Prior

Stokes

Bell?? 

Broad??

Maybe all 5 out? Broad and Bell have had appalling summers.

Hard to disagree. Ali to open with Robson maybe? Try a frontline spinner (Kerrigan I'm guessing). Who do you make captain, Anderson? Root? Swallow your pride and bring back KP (very unlikely)? Someone else?

England need a Nasser style captain. Nasser wasn't the best and was limited tactically but he came in when the England side needed someone who wouldn't accept such catastrophic failures as we've been seeing lately. He set the foundations for Vaughn and Stauss to follow.

There isn't too much difference in class between the international test teams. It seems to be more and more about mentality. This England side have lost this.

Also, England have to make a change in mind for the long term. We have to accept that It's going to get worse before it gets better but England need to find players with the right mentality that they can stick with. Vaughan barely averaged 30 for the first part of his career but everyone could see he had the potential.

So who is in your team for the next test? I'd go for something along the lines of:

Ali

Robson

Ballance

Bell

Root

Butler

Jordan

Broad

Plunkett

Anderson (Captain)

Kerrigan

I'd consider dropping Broad and Bell, but feel you need some older heads in there.

Lyth

Robson

Ballance

Bell or someone else. Can't think of anyone at the moment.

Root

Ali

Buttler

Jordan

Woakes

Anderson (captain)

Kerrigan or Plunkett.

Kerrigan if the pitch is spinning.

Edited by Avfc96

Hard to disagree. Ali to open with Robson maybe? Try a frontline spinner (Kerrigan I'm guessing). Who do you make captain, Anderson? Root? Swallow your pride and bring back KP (very unlikely)? Someone else?

I would disagree (have done above!) with dropping five of the side.

England have lost/discarded Trott, Pietersen and Swann over the past year and I really don't think that getting rid of a further five players in one go would help matters.

It wasn't long ago that Root was dropped for a test after people wanted him dropped for a long time or that Ballance was being rubbished and Stokes was being lauded.

I thought Stokes didn't bowl badly and whilst his batting is appalling at the moment he is coming in at 8 so he's hardly in for his batting (drop him below Plunkett to 9).

I can see that a bowler or two may be dropped/'rested' for the next game or two for the reasons spoken about before (5 test matches in 6 weeks) but, other than that, I can't see that much is likely to be changed (or that it would do much).

Edit: Having seen Moeen's pretty successful start in the middle of the order and his real problems against the short ball then it would seem crazy to push him up to open. That would be a change ripe for people wanting him dropped to 'find form' should he not score in the next couple of games.

Edited by snowychap

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â