Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Agreed with above. Perhaps England should look for a "captain" as opposed to a good player and then make him captain; an example might be Rob Key of Kent who I reckon is a good captain and incidentally a good batsman ! You are lucky to get both - however, Shane Warne was a good example of both in recent times.

Gower was a great batsman but poor captain, likewise Botham. Mike Brearley was a great captain but (personally)  I didn't rate him as an opener much.

But back to more important cricket matters: great win for Warks; just thought Chris Wright was a bit short and gave away a few. There wasn't a spinner on show in the Test today as good as either Patel or Ajmal from last night - did wonder about Ajmal's fielding though, thought Worcs were trying to hide him a bit. A bit of a long shot for Warks to progress though isn't it ? 

If England are going to progress under Moores we need a new captain. Cook is rubbish, follows the ball and then takes Moeen off after taking his 2nd wicket. How is that going to give him confidence... 

I think that was due to the fact there were two new people at the crease. Get your pacemen in against them to rough them up a bit in the final few overs

it worked didn't it.   

Agreed with above. Perhaps England should look for a "captain" as opposed to a good player and then make him captain; an example might be Rob Key of Kent who I reckon is a good captain and incidentally a good batsman ! You are lucky to get both - however, Shane Warne was a good example of both in recent times.

Gower was a great batsman but poor captain, likewise Botham. Mike Brearley was a great captain but (personally)  I didn't rate him as an opener much.

But back to more important cricket matters: great win for Warks; just thought Chris Wright was a bit short and gave away a few. There wasn't a spinner on show in the Test today as good as either Patel or Ajmal from last night - did wonder about Ajmal's fielding though, thought Worcs were trying to hide him a bit. A bit of a long shot for Warks to progress though isn't it ? 

Yes Patel has improved a lot and really should be playing test cricket for New Zealand.  First year at Warwickshire in 2009  he was rubbish...Not in the class of Ajmal though but what a mistake by Chopra forgetting he had another over left. Lucky it didn't cost. Wright has been rubbish the last few games for Warwickshire. We miss having Piolet and Maddy to take the pace off in the middle overs...We can progress but not of we continue to make mistakes like we have done in the last few games. Last game for Ajmal in t20 and they miss Moeen big time for both his batting and spin option, so think they may miss out..

Edited by PaulC

I've been saying this for a while now: http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/3904-cricket-general-chat/page-127

Cook is not the right man and was chosen as the 'glory boy' rather than the best all-round leader and captain.

GREAT batsman, but not a great captain.

Cook has just taken a wicket!

Cant work out if that is more surprising or Anderson getting such a large score with the bat.

It has been a very wierd test match. Bowlers making loads of runs for both sides and then Cook taking a wicket for us. I did laugh at his Bob Willis impression as he ran up to bowl one of the balls.

But nine tests without a win for England which I am sure must be a record.

Kerrigan added to the squad for the second test alongside Jordan and Woakes to the eleven that played this match.

Yes really awful test match though because of that wicket.....I've seen Kerrigan bowl Warwickshire out but I don't think India wlll be too concerned.  I have to feel sorry for Woakes as he's included in virtually every squad and keeps being left out.  Stokes has a no ball problem and hasn't scored runs this season I think Woakes should replace him and they have to make a decision about the balance of the side....Lords is bad for spinners so little point bringing Kerrigan into the side I think....

Cook taking a wicket was a nice moment. Was nice to see him with a smile on his face, and it seems the team are with him. I'm still not convinced he's quite up to it as captain, but its hard to dislike the chap. 

• Like 1

Cook's wicket was great! Jordan will be back in for Stokes I think. I do like Woakes but I just can't see the selectors picking him. 

Elsewhere, Worcestershire I noticed at lunch had pwered to 133/0 on the first morning. I come back at the end of the day and they're 317/9 ! fragile middle, but need to make use of Ajmal this game, not sure how much longer he's with us.

Yeah it seems Woakes is very much the third choice "all rounder". There's a lot of cricket to be played this Summer though, so we may see him at some point.  

Cook's wicket was great! Jordan will be back in for Stokes I think. I do like Woakes but I just can't see the selectors picking him. 

Elsewhere, Worcestershire I noticed at lunch had pwered to 133/0 on the first morning. I come back at the end of the day and they're 317/9 ! fragile middle, but need to make use of Ajmal this game, not sure how much longer he's with us.

Last match for Ajmal... I bet you have a spinners wicket at New Road so 317 isn't bad at all especially as their spinner has taken 3 on the first day. Choudry playing as well...

Yeah it seems Woakes is very much the third choice "all rounder". There's a lot of cricket to be played this Summer though, so we may see him at some point.  

They could bring both Woakes and Jordan into the side for Plunkett and Stokes. Also Broad looked a bit knackered. Just 3 days off, they will need to freshen it up a bit..

Cook taking a wicket was a nice moment. Was nice to see him with a smile on his face, and it seems the team are with him. I'm still not convinced he's quite up to it as captain, but its hard to dislike the chap. 

I wonder why England never tried giving J. Anderson the captaincy. Why is it always a batsman. Cook got it too early IMO. He could have done with a few more years of just focusing on his batting.

Yes he''s qualified to play for England and Australia I think... Hope he chooses England. Best young player Warwickshire have had since Ian Bell and even outdoing Bell at the same age. Has more of a Jonathan Trott style though...

I wonder why England never tried giving J. Anderson the captaincy. Why is it always a batsman. Cook got it too early IMO. He could have done with a few more years of just focusing on his batting.

I think Anderson isn't really captaincy material. Swann explained the reasons but I forgot what they were..

Webb just hasn't impressed me at all, I know he got a fifty against Derbyshire in the T20 but he just doesn't look good enough.

Exciting times at Warwickshire though as we seem to have a very good crop of youngsters coming through.

To be fair its hard to judge a young player who comes into the side in the t20 format where the pressure is on for him to score quickly. Even Trott struggled in the two matches he played...We have some good young players but until they make the stepup from 2nd team cricket to the first team we really don't know how they are going to adjust. I've seen it all before we players like Luke Parker, Navdeep Poonia and James Ord who scored bag loads of runs for the 2nds but didn't make the stepup... Obviously Hain is an exceptional talent, Javid did well last season but is struggling this season. Laurie Evans had a great season last year and was offered a 3 year contract, which he didn't sign as he was holding on for something better. The club have just withdrawn the contract offer so chances are he will leave at the end of the season. Pity.....

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â