Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

He has to go now. Awful form and awful wicket. Just take a break Alistair.

Go where? Back to Essex and out of the side or just step down as skipper?

I'm not sure what the former would achieve and I don't see who steps up as skipper in the latter case (or that it would make a great deal of difference - the 'negative' stuff is quite characteristic of England under numerous captains and not specific to Cook).

Either. I know the skipper is an issue due to lack of replacement, but he needs primarily to get his batting form back. I don't think the alternatives are great, but it might be worth giving it to Anderson or Bell next time around. I don't like Broad as captain either. Or we just keep hoping he suddenly hits a century one game. But a home series with Sri Lanka was fairly benign by test standards and he's failed every time as batter and leader. He is presently a distracting burden. I would love him to respond with several huge scores v India, but what if he doesn't? That's five tests where we're already vulnerable at the time.

3 down now... as skipper he's looking at a first home defeat for England v Sri Lanka now too, when we shouldn't have been near this position. I'm trying not to be guilty of an over reaction, but he's not in great form. 

I agree that he is not in any sort of form but I don't see that a few run outs in county cricket is going to sort that out (he's played a couple of games this year and scored a couple of hundreds but that hasn't helped his form in the Tests).
I think there's a huge difficulty in dropping him from the side now - just as there have been at other times in his England career when he has also gone on very bad runs of form (I'll grant that this is probably the worst but still).

I'm not averse to the idea of taking away the captaincy and allowing him to concentrate on batting but I wouldn't want Broad to take over and I would be worried about the possible advese effects on Bell's batting. Anderson might be a good shout (in that it would be unlikely to be for long and he was apparently the one responsible for suggesting the different fields at the end of the Lord's game).

52 for 4. :(

Its down to our bowling today. How many sides have scored 350 in the 4th innings to win a test match! Prasad has been excellent. Also credit to Matthews. Excellent cricketer and much better batsman than he's given credit for.

The £5 for entry tomorrow may have seemed like good value at 6 o'clock.

I think they'd need to pay me £5 to go there now. :)

Should be free. The game could be over in less than an hour.  I hope Root, Moeen and Prior put up some sort of fight at least.

Sri Lanka have shown real guts this series. They're not the best team test cricket has ever seen, but they're battlers, and have touches of class in Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Mathews, Herath, Got to say fair play to them, but can't help feel that England really have helped them out massively, and ultimately it's down to bad captaincy from Cook. 

• Like 2

Sri Lanka have shown real guts this series. They're not the best team test cricket has ever seen, but they're battlers, and have touches of class in Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Mathews, Herath, Got to say fair play to them, but can't help feel that England really have helped them out massively, and ultimately it's down to bad captaincy from Cook. 

Yes 100% agree with you Dave

No I think they were about 4/1 at Lunch and I thought about it..... Ben Stokes 7 wickets today....  Could come back into the side against India, maybe instead of Jordon who I think has been poor this match.

Anyone who says cricket is boring can go **** them selves. Amazing end to the test match. So close. Well done Sri Lanka. Very well played, and a deserved victory. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â