Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Seeing as we seem to be upsetting people in other threads, I'll ask this here. Is it worth giving Chris Jordan a go in the test side? He bowled well today, and was more than decent with the bat too. 

He has been very good in one day and T20 cricket but I would rather he gets a few more county games under his belt. Has the potential to be a very good player. 

Gurney has also impressed, don't think he is good enough to be a test bowler but will definitely play a role in the limited overs sides in the years to come.

Bell disappointed me today, played very well for his 50 and then played an incredibly stupid shot to get out. Seems to be a recurring theme in his England one day career, 3 hundreds and 31 half centuries. 

Surrey reject so almost certainly not good enough for England :)

Snob.  ;)

Seeing as we seem to be upsetting people in other threads, I'll ask this here. Is it worth giving Chris Jordan a go in the test side? He bowled well today, and was more than decent with the bat too.

Where and in place of whom?

I'm not averse to the idea but what does he bowl in normal cricket (as opposed to one day stuff)?

p.s. Worcs back to the top of Div II, no?

Surrey reject so almost certainly not good enough for England :)

We can't let silly little county biases get in the way of the England team though, Tony, If we did, I'd never be happy to see a Yorkshireman playing for England.  ;)

Tbf he joined the country bumpkins from Sussex .. Had he gone anywhere else it would have been fine , but not there

My mate who I travel up to villa Park with lives in Horsham and I have to suffer the Sussex cricket talk whenever he's in the car !!

Agree he's probably not quite ready yet, but he's worth keeping an eye on. I like that he bowels with real aggression. It's great to see. 

Definitely, has the potential to be a very very good player for England. More potential than Stokes in the all rounder slot too.

p.s. Worcs back to the top of Div II, no?

Hope they come back up. Bears vs Pears is always a highlight of the county season.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

More potential than Stokes in the all rounder slot too.

I don't agree with that and I can't see why you make the claim.

It may turn out that Jordan does better, perhaps, but I can't see why the claim at the moment?

• Like 1

Agree he's probably not quite ready yet, but he's worth keeping an eye on. I like that he bowels with real aggression. It's great to see. 

Definitely, has the potential to be a very very good player for England. More potential than Stokes in the all rounder slot too.

I watch quite a bit of Durham living up here, and as well as he played in Aus, I'm still a bit unsure about Stokes,

• Like 1

I watch quite a bit of Durham living up here, and as well as he played in Aus, I'm still a bit unsure about Stokes,

That's interesting (esp taken together with AvFc's post) - why so?

I think he has problems (they're almost too apparent) but so did the likes of Freddie (I think there may be real parallels).

More potential than Stokes in the all rounder slot too.

I don't agree with that and I can't see why you make the claim.

It may turn out that Jordan does better, perhaps, but I can't see why the claim at the moment?

I don't think either of them are genuine all rounders yet. Jordan bowls well and can bat a bit, where as Stokes is better with the bat than the ball imo. 

That's interesting (esp taken together with AvFc's post) - why so?

I think he has problems (they're almost too apparent) but so did the likes of Freddie (I think there may be real parallels).

His bowling is not up to the standard of Flintoff, as I mentioned just above. I'm in no way writing the lad off, it's just a little nagging doubt I have. I remember first hearing about him from some mates of mine who are members at Durham, and they raved about him. I watched him play a few times, but just couldn't see it. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

His bowling is not up to the standard of Flintoff, as I mentioned just above. I'm in no way writing the lad off by the way, it's just a little nagging doubt I have. I remember first hearing about him from some mates of mine who are members at Durham, and they raved about him. I watched him play a few times, but just couldn't see it.

Freddie's bowling wasn't up to much early on. He was hailed as a middle order bat who could bowl quickish.

My point about the parallel was that Stokes can bowl quickly (but not necesarily well) as well as bat aggressively and perhaps he may turn in to a Freddie kind of all rounder (a sort of converted fast bowler who can bat a bit rather than an all rounder per se).

I'm not for one moment saying that Stokes is a new Freddie but then again Freddie wasn't the Freddie he was supposed to be (he turned out to be some kind of ommense wicket taking fast bowler and that wasn't ever the prediction).

I also have doubts over Stokes' temperament.

Again, not comparing him to Flintoff in terms of talent, promise or whatever but Freddie's temperament was 'in question' for most of his career.

Agree with this. I actually don't think his temperament is that bad now. He's clamed down, and grown up a lot. I like to see a player with a bit of fire in his belly anyway.

I also have doubts over Stokes' temperament. 

I don't. I think he's got excellent temperament. From the Ashes it seemed to me he was level headed, not overawed, able to handle pressure and come back if batters got on top. His innings in Perth was fantastic and showed real mental strength.

:blink:  :lol:

I'll stand by my statement, as it works as it is. He's worth keeping an eye on, in case he shits himself!

• Like 1

I don't think he's as good a batsman as Stokes or Woakes

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â