Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

What's the representation of black players playing cricket in England? Jordan seems to be the first I've seen in ages (if ever?)

Well there's been Carberry recently in the test side. Then there's Phil DeFreitas, Devon Malcolm, Gladstone Small etc. 

Mark Butcher.

There was also a bowler called Alex Tudor in the 90s. 

There's been a few more as well. 

Gutting to have lost that game on D/L. I really don't think New Zealand would have been as comfortable as the D/L made out. Not only did it rob us spectators of a good game but pretty badly damaged our net run rate. I don't argue the D/L method, I know there's not really anything better, but it favours the team batting second so heavily, especially when it's unexpected like that. 

With 2 balls to go to get a game, and the rain storm growing to the point it's obvious that it will not be continuing, the umpires basically looked at the scoreboard, said to New Zealand '2 more runs and you win this' and then played for a few more balls. Yes, England could have got a wicket and changed it all, but reducing a challenging run chase to a 2-run target is very harsh on England. New Zealand were always going to start quickly, they have power hitters up the order. Would they have kept up that momentum over 20 overs? I'm not so sure.

It's the one place D/L method is heavily floored. It suggests a steady innings. You always see in these games a team start well, then a lull in the middle, and then a bit of a slog at the end. Removing that middle section, which D/L does, makes the second batting team's job much easier. (plus you still keep all the wickets.. half the runs in half the overs [give or take], but still all 10 wickets to play more aggressively with).

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

What's the representation of black players playing cricket in England? Jordan seems to be the first I've seen in ages (if ever?)

Well there's been Carberry recently in the test side. Then there's Phil DeFreitas, Devon Malcolm, Gladstone Small etc. 

Sid Lawrence, the late Wilf Slack, Norman Cowans, the imprisoned Chris Lewis, Ricky Elcock and so on but the numbers over the years probably aren't huge.

I can't say too much about what the case is in today's county game, tbh, as I hardly follow it.

Just when my girlfriend was starting to get slightly interested in cricket, they go and do that. :-( no matter how good Sri Lanka are, 39 all out shows real lack of disapline.

Sounds like they tried to play like they did against Ireland, only didn't realise the quality difference. If your middle and lower order are coming in and Sri Lanka still have their first choice bowlers with overs to spare then you're always in trouble. Mendis and Malinga would plough through most lower orders.

Sid Lawrence, the late Wilf Slack, Norman Cowans, the imprisoned Chris Lewis, Ricky Elcock and so on but the numbers over the years probably aren't huge.

I can't say too much about what the case is in today's county game, tbh, as I hardly follow it.

Theres not that many playing county cricket. Keith Barker at Warwickshire but cricket is his second choice because he was on Blackburn's books i think. Guess its not a sport too many young black people are that interested in taking up. A bigger question is the lack of asian cricketers playing for England or even playing county cricket when it is a sport they participate in at young age. Still not totally sure why Moeen Ali left Warwickshire seven years ago to play for Worcestershire. He said it was the time he becoming a fully fledged muslim and he wanted to start afresh where nobody knew him without a long beard. Certainly if he had have been at Warwickshire he would  not have had to wait until he was 26 to play for England.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

On the subject of non-white players playing for England in any form of international cricket I can think of a few-

Bopara, Ali, Panesar, Carberry, Butcher, Tudor, Mascharanes, Shahzad, Jordan, Patel, Khan, Mahmood, Shah, Rashid.

On the subject of non-white players playing for England in any form of international cricket I can think of a few-

Bopara, Ali, Panesar, Carberry, Butcher, Tudor, Mascharanes, Shahzad, Jordan, Patel, Khan, Mahmood, Shah, Rashid.

and Basil Dolivera who was probably the first non white and was picked the England tour of South Africa i think in 69 and eventually caused the absence of test cricket for South Africa because of Apartheid.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â