Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

The probably the worst batting display of the series. It all started badly with our bowling in the morning.

Agree, some of the bowling from Broad and Anderson was appalling. Why they were bowling short to a number 11 I have no idea.

The less said about the batting the better, 86-1 to 179 all out. Only Cook and KP come out with any sort of credit.

This tour is even worse than the 06/07 tour, in that tour we were facing the all time greats of Warne, Mcgrath, Lee and then the batting of Ponting, Hayden, Langer and Gilchrist. Whereas this time, were getting bowled out by the likes of Nathan Lyon. As difficult as it was to accept losing 5-0 in 06/07, I could stomach it somewhat because we were losing to one of the best teams world cricket has seen, but this time? No, it is just **** embarrassing.

Catalogue of collapses

Brisbane: England lost six wickets for nine runs in their first innings and 4-9 in their second.

Adelaide: England lost 6-24 in their first innings of 172 all out.

Perth: Five wickets fall for 43 in first innings 251.

Melbourne: England lost their last six first innings wickets for 53 and their last five for only six second time round.

The probably the worst batting display of the series. It all started badly with our bowling in the morning.

Agree, some of the bowling from Broad and Anderson was appalling. Why they were bowling short to a number 11 I have no idea.

The less said about the batting the better, 86-1 to 179 all out. Only Cook and KP come out with any sort of credit.

This tour is even worse than the 06/07 tour, in that tour we were facing the all time greats of Warne, Mcgrath, Lee and then the batting of Ponting, Hayden, Langer and Gilchrist. Whereas this time, were getting bowled out by the likes of Nathan Lyon. As difficult as it was to accept losing 5-0 in 06/07, I could stomach it somewhat because we were losing to one of the best teams world cricket has seen, but this time? No, it is just **** embarrassing.

Catalogue of collapses

Brisbane: England lost six wickets for nine runs in their first innings and 4-9 in their second.

Adelaide: England lost 6-24 in their first innings of 172 all out.

Perth: Five wickets fall for 43 in first innings 251.

Melbourne: England lost their last six first innings wickets for 53 and their last five for only six second time round.

Yes 5 wickets for Lyon on a day three pitch at Melbourne is a disgrace. 

England have been awful and shambolic this morning.

Bizarre to be bowling Root ahead of Monty; Broad bowling 8-10 mph down on the first innings in two over spells; no short leg for Watson; dreadful, lackadaisical fielding from a number of the players; lots of buffet bowling.

Sadly, it looked like they not only thought they couldn't win (or even put the Aussies under any pressure) but also it looked they couldn't give a toss about it either.

I like Cook but I think this morning has done it for me with him as skipper - only thing is I have no idea who they could hand it to who would do any better/different.

Away from the ashes for a moment. So glad J kallis hit a ton in his last test. Top top player.

Pure class. A fitting way to bow out on a truly great career.

Also nice that his knock took him above R Dravid (another top player) in the list of all time test runs scored. Factor in all the wickets and 200 catches in the field, he must be up there with the greatest cricketers to have ever played the game?

Away from the ashes for a moment. So glad J kallis hit a ton in his last test. Top top player.

Pure class. A fitting way to bow out on a truly great career.

Also nice that his knock took him above R Dravid (another top player) in the list of all time test runs scored. Factor in all the wickets and 200 catches in the field, he must be up there with the greatest cricketers to have ever played the game?

He'd have to be considered, certainly. One of the best I've seen. However, there a quite few player I'd rate higher. Paul C made a good argument for Sobers as the greatest all rounder. Add to that, Lara, Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Shane Warne, Bradman, Imran Khan etc. Interesting to hear what others think though? 

Though the likes of Bradman and Richards will go down in history as greats of the game, I prefer only to comment on players I've seen, and as a 34yr old guy kallis imo is certainly up there. Guys like lara, Tendulkar and the like are top top players whom im sure wil be talked about in 50yrs time in the same light as those mentioned above, why I think kallis will aslo be thought of in the same way is his brilliance as a all rounder. As I said, 3rd highest test runs, a feared bowler and (im too drunk to look this up so apologies if I'm wrong) took more catches than most. He will be remembered as a great.

Interesting to hear what others think though?

About better players than Kallis in general or better all rounders?

Both really, so I suppose it opens up the question as to who is the greatest cricketer of all time? I'd said earlier Kallis is the best all rounder I've seen in my life time. It'd be a three way tie between Lara, Tendulkar and Warne as the best cricketer, from the time I've been watching cricket, I think. That said, I'd still probably give Sir Viv the title of the greatest.  

Interesting to hear what others think though?

About better players than Kallis in general or better all rounders?

Both really, so I suppose it opens up the question as to who is the greatest cricketer of all time? I'd said earlier Kallis is the best all rounder I've seen in my life time. It'd be a three way tie between Lara, Tendulkar and Warne as the best cricketer, from the time I've been watching cricket, I think. That said, I'd still probably give Sir Viv the title of the greatest.

Warne would certainly be in my top 5, as would lara and Tendulkar.

I think it's always a very difficult question comparing people from decade to decade/era to era, especially as the amount of cricket that they play nowadays means that statistical records are rather difficult to compare.

As per Paul's earlier post, I would likely look at splitting all rounders between batting ones (Sobers/Kallis) and bowling ones (Imran, Kapil, Botham & so on).

I'd put Sobers top of the former and Both still at the top of the latter (for the first four/five years of his test career he was outstanding with the ball - something like 14/15 5 wicket hauls).

As for talents (in their particular disciplines) that I've seen: Warne, Viv, Tendulkar and then Lara.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I think it's always a very difficult question comparing people from decade to decade/era to era, especially as the amount of cricket that they play nowadays means that statistical records are rather difficult to compare.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â