Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

No point declaring yet. If Australia can bat for 2 days (doubtful as that sounds) they'd be uncomfortably close to the 500 England will have set for them. I'd declare tomorrow morning 550-600 ahead with 5 and a bit sessions to go.

Top knock by Root.

Trust me, growing up in the 90s and watching the Aussies tear us to shreds repeatedly means that this time in my life and such a poor side is excellent viewing :)

• Like 3

The ashes has always been a spectacle though, its a bit sad to see this great rivalry and competition turn into such a whitewash. Although I'd rather this then let the Aussies win...

Yeah not as if we've seen England get whitewashed in the last 7 years...

Some big hitting from Root here... shame he won't get a double ton but still. Cracking run

Some big hitting from Root here... shame he won't get a double ton but still. Cracking run

can't see why he won't, I reckon we'll bat for at least an hour

I assumed we'd declare at stumps. Reckon we'll wait for him to get out/get 200 then we'll declare then

I assumed we'd declare at stumps. Reckon we'll wait for him to get out/get 200 then we'll declare then

Yep I reckon, 5 and 1/2 sessions is plenty of time to bowl the Aussies out

Trust me, growing up in the 90s and watching the Aussies tear us to shreds repeatedly means that this time in my life and such a poor side is excellent viewing :)

Absolutely.  They had no sympathy for us when they won eight in a row.  Payback time now. 

Yep I reckon, 5 and 1/2 sessions  overs is plenty of time to bowl the Aussies out

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

I don't think runs are relevant at all at the moment, it's just about time and the pitch. It's getting rougher and rougher and Swann must be rubbing his hands. England will go out there tomorrow, let Root get his 200, take a look at the pitch and then let Anderson and Broad swing it and use the unpredictable bounce. When the ball is rough, Swann will find those patches which Agar and Smith were finding earlier. 

I really thought we'd declare half way through the evening session and have a go at them for an hour today, but we're putting the game well and truly beyond them now, and I can't see them holding out for the draw on that pitch as long as we've declared / all out by the afternoon session tomorrow. 

I think Root getting much needed runs made Cook's decision easier, but he's a very conservative captain.

That said, I don't think Australia will get to 150 second innings.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

The Aussie's spent years pushing our face in the dirty of the cricket pitch and took huge amounts of pleasure in doing so, they dominated us and they enjoyed every moment and never took their foot off even when we were beaten. Nothing wrong with that in such a rivalry.

I do though expect the same from us now we are in the ascendancy, I want to see us punish them to enjoy destroying them and to relish the opportunity  to send them home with their tales between their legs.

I don't care if it is a whitewash and the series won't be devalued or any less entertaining for it, in fact I'd much rather it a whitewash than us win the first 3 then give them the last two because we eased off. The Aussie's never eased off on us and I don't want to see us do that.

I want to see us come out in the morning and the superb Root break the 200 and then I want the boys to swing away to their hearts content and hopefully put another 50+ on the board.

Then we can declare and let Jimmy and Swanny and co rip into them for a day and try and skittle them.

The Ashes is about so much more than just the cricket which is why it is so damn watchable, after years of it being unbearable viewing I love the idea of miserable Aussie's sitting up all night watching their boys take their turn to eat dirt. 

• Like 2

The main purpose is winning the game not individual achievements.  Ok they should be able to bowl the Aussies out in 5 and a half sessions but why not give ourselves as much time as possible.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â