Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Well, it seems a Nexus S refresh is almost with us, there is wild speculation that a new model of the Nexus S called the GT i9023 is due out in Italy (and probably mainland Europe) imminently. The current Nexus S, the GT i9020 is only available in two countries in the world, the USA and here in the UK, everybody else is still waiting. The i9020 is the one with the super AMOLED screen but only records video in 480p. The i9023 will not have a super AMOLED screen, it will have something Samsung are calling "super clear LCD" which they have already used in their recent Samsung Wave 2 phone, and was getting rave reviews.

Obviously this is very interesting to me, given the posts I made earlier in this thread about disappointing the video camera on the Nexus S, the 720p capabilities of this updated model mean the phone is an instant buy if I can get hold of one. Hopefully it will be released with a universal software update meaning that the UK model with the super AMOLED screen can shoot HD video. I will be a very happy bunny if that is the case.

Brother picked up a Nexus S this weekend so got to have a good couple of hours serious play with it.

Very impressed and sorely tempted to go for one myself. I'd like it to be less plasticy, and I'm not keen on some of the aesthetics of it (apps menu particularly) and also didn't much like the 'keyboard', but those asides I was entirely sold on it.

Now weighing up if dual core is really going to make that much difference to me.

Yeah, that's the same boat as I am in. It's only really HD video that I would want on top of what the Nexus S has to offer, and if that revised model (the i9023) comes with 720p video then there should be no reason why the UK model cant do it either. Hopefully the i9023 comes with Android 2.3.3 (or whatever) that makes 720p video a stock feature. If it does, I'll get an Nexus S the next time I walk past a carphone warehouse.

The camera is another place it does fall down for me actually. A couple of shots taken in our living room (which is to be fair a fairly dark room) were not impressive at all.

I'm not at all bothered by video but still images I am rather a lot, and it left a bit to be desired. But I'm told in better conditions it's quite impressive. I think I may just make the jump, the Nexus S seemed plenty fast enough for me (it's hard to describe but using it, it genuinely feels powerful, absolutely flies from program to program) and I can't see myself downloading any apps/etc that are going to test it's processor to the point I fancy dual core.

It's still just a galaxy s with no removable sd card. I wouldn't even dream of getting one especially on the day the galaxy s2 teaser video was released.

It's an old generation phone guys. In the next three months a whole host of new phones with better everything will be released. I think you're on crack to consider it, especially you chindie after dismissing the galaxy s, which is essentially the same phone and which feels ancient already.

This new generation of screens is what exits me most.

This conversation is in danger of going into a repetitive loop, isnt it?

For me, its a hardware vs software thing. I havent dived in yet because, yes, multi core processors might be amazing so I am waiting on reviews. But waiting for tech is often dumb because the next big thing is always three months away. I could wait on the Galaxy S2, but then the iPhone 5 will only be a couple of months away so I should wait for that. But by the time the iPhone 5 comes out I'll only be a couple of months away from whatever HTC and Samsung have to offer in Q3 of 2011. And If I wait for those to come out then I wont be far from the Nexus 2012 or the phones announced at CES 2012. It could just go on and on and on and on.

Being Google's baby is an attractive feature for me. It will get every update first, and every update will be optimised for that phone. The Galaxy S was the best hardware on the market when it came out, but everybody said TouchWiz was so shit that the phone ran horribly unless you lagfixed it. As somebody who waited ten months for 2.1 on my HTC Hero updates are important, and the Nexus S will always have that over every other handset on Android.

Being Google's baby is an attractive feature for me. It will get every update first, and every update will be optimised for that phone. The Galaxy S was the best hardware on the market when it came out, but everybody said TouchWiz was so shit that the phone ran horribly unless you lagfixed it. As somebody who waited ten months for 2.1 on my HTC Hero updates are important, and the Nexus S will always have that over every other handset on Android.

is my viewpoint. I'm currently running CyanogenMod 7 nightlies. I get a new update every day with the day's enhancements / bug fixes in.

I can't see dual-core phones having such a massive impact as to make the single-cores obsolete. And I'm on the Nexus train now, so if some super dual-core phone with SAMOLED2hyper+PRO comes out, I'll wait until it comes out as a Nexus and upgrade.

The camera is another place it does fall down for me actually. A couple of shots taken in our living room (which is to be fair a fairly dark room) were not impressive at all.

I'm not at all bothered by video but still images I am rather a lot, and it left a bit to be desired. But I'm told in better conditions it's quite impressive. I think I may just make the jump, the Nexus S seemed plenty fast enough for me (it's hard to describe but using it, it genuinely feels powerful, absolutely flies from program to program) and I can't see myself downloading any apps/etc that are going to test it's processor to the point I fancy dual core.

You might have missed the night shot mode. It's REALLY good, I've heard people say it's the best night shot they've seen on any phone and I won't disagree. Everyone seems to miss the setting and think it's auto.

Taken under my desk with night mode on. Very dark under there.

IMG_20110201_122958.jpg

So with the flash and night shot I find it great. I could probably use more than 5mp though.

I run custom roms so don't carew what software is shipped with the phone. But there is a difference between the hardware hardware leap from last years phones to the ones coming out now. Dual cores, more ram, better battery and most importantly better screens miles better. The level of advancement is significant, massively significant. T

The bottom line is the nexus s is based on a system that is over a year old now. If you bought a desire last march you can get to upgrade at the right time this year to the next generation of phones.

No idea west I have a charger in work and at home. So my phone is plugged in all the time really. But my friend says he thinks the battery is a little worse on darkys rom, but nothing major. Worth the trade off easily given the speed improvement.

I do have the odd issue with the browser, rare enough event though.

Just a warning for any others thinking about getting the HTC desire HD. A great phone but really struggles when not in a 3G area. I spent 4 hours at an uncles yesterday who lives in one of these middle of no where, no signal places. My battery went from full to under 20% in that time. Typically it will last maybe a day and a half with moderate usage. Ive generally get around it using tasker as mention on this thread, a bit annoying if you forget to turn off this feature and a huge flaw in the phone for me.

It's not a flaw with the phone. It will happen with ANY phone. Searching for a signal is VERY battery heavy. It doesn't matter if you have a Desire HD, iphone, or nokia 3210, it's the same. When you're in a low signal area you will use far more battery than if you had a decent signal. When it's searching for a signal it's in constant communication with the cell tower and constantly trying to find a cell tower with a better signal. It'll only be just behind making a phone call in battery usage.

I get about 2 days worth of general use out of the Nexus S. I'm on WiFi a lot and I get strong 3G almost everywhere I take my phone. In fact I turned tethering on yesterday and got a steady 290KB/s download, because the home broadband at the person's house topped out at 50KB/s. I really have to compliment the T-Mobile 3G network.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â