Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Wish I had seen this sooner!

I have the Sony X10 mini pro. My favourite free apps are:

The alarm clock- brilliant, can set up every detail, even a math sum to cancel the alarm if your bright enough (**** that)

Advanced task killer free- brilliant, saves a load of battery time

Opera mini- way better than the standard web browser

Background- I never get bored of my wallpaper

Flashlight- only uses the backlight of the screen, would be even better if they used the cameras flash

Talking tom cat- good for a laugh, kids love it

Rac traffic- Good if your stuck in a jam and wanna know why **** all is moving!

And of course... Angry Birds, apart from the lag and occasional crash it the perfect phone game.

Still can't help but feel I'm missing out on the I phone though

I dont think the X10 mini is really the best handset to show everything Android has to offer. Speaking of which, I went looking around at handsets yesterday, now I am working in town again after seven years out in Tyseley, its nice to just be able to nip into the Bullring and have a gander at what's on offer.

Yes, it's probably better to do research online to get honest opinions of how phones are without being subjected to a sales pitch but you cant beat seeing an actual Desire HD just to get an idea of how massive that screen is. I couldnt find a Nexus S to look at, though I found out later they are exclusive to Carphone Warehouse. I think there are three Carphone Warehouses in Birmingham so I might have to have a harder look next time.

I dont think I will buy from the high street though, the deals are shite and the range of handsets on offer was surprisingly poor, phones like the Desire (SD) were still getting pride of place in a lot of shop displays which I found surprising. I get the impression that they are trying to shift the 2010 models now before the 2011 models ship, but they are still charging top dollar for the 2010 phones. The more I think about it, the more I think asking for my PAC code when my contract expires and seeing what I can get as a SIM only deal and then buying an unbranded handset is the way to go. It's going to be a couple of months though.

Agree with you there Rev, normally we find out about phones on the internet, but then get to see them in the shops. You'd have to be stark raving mad to buy a Desire or Desire HD right now with the dual core phones coming in the next few months. Patience is rewarded, you need to get in at the start of each generation of phones. The Nexus One crop from last year are done, the dual core crop are the 2011 phones.

Agree with you there Rev, normally we find out about phones on the internet, but then get to see them in the shops. You'd have to be stark raving mad to buy a Desire or Desire HD right now with the dual core phones coming in the next few months. Patience is rewarded, you need to get in at the start of each generation of phones. The Nexus One crop from last year are done, the dual core crop are the 2011 phones.

I'm not really sure about that, I mean you have to jump in at some point or you will be forever waiting for the next big thing. If you wait until April or May then you might as well wait until June or July to see what the new iPhone is like, then if you wait for the new iPhone you might as well wait until August or September to see what everybodies answer to the iPhone is and then if you wait until they come out you might as well wait until November to see what the Christmas handsets are and if you wait until November then you arent far away from CES in January and well, you know, you still dont have a phone.

I do think dual core is one of those huge leaps though, but will this years models be just for early adopters to play with? It's only really now that dual core and quad core PC processors are coming into their own because the software that was out when they first hit the market was designed for single core CPUs. It could be 2012 or 2013 before you are an idiot to pick a single core handset over a dual core one.

Will the new Android phones pretty much all be at the expo in Barcelona during February? I'm due a phone upgrade in June so I'm hoping a nice dual-core Android phone will be out by then. :D

There will be plenty of phones out by then, everybody will want to be on the market before the iPhone comes out. The industry is kinda going the way of Apple, where people arent showing handsets until a few weeks before they are due out. February/March will be a good time to buy new stuff. By June, people will have been living with that new stuff for a couple of months and you will really get an idea of how good or bad it is.

Will the new Android phones pretty much all be at the expo in Barcelona during February? I'm due a phone upgrade in June so I'm hoping a nice dual-core Android phone will be out by then. :D

Yep, all of them will be out and reviewd before Apple announce the iPhone 5. All are scheduled for a Q1 or Q2 release.

Rev I mean the best time to sign up to a 12 or 18month contract is when a new Generation of phones come out. The Nexus One and Desire came out in Jan/Feb last year and now in March-May this year there will be the next Generation of phones with Dual Cores, super quality screens, bigger batteries etc..

So if you are shrewd you'd look to get in on the new Generation when they are just released, then 12-18 months later the next Generation comes along.

The thing is, the lines between generations of hardware is rather blurred. Yes dual core is the future, but speaking as someone who jumped to a quad core on the PC early, I know that the benefit initially is minimal. It's not until stuff started get coded specifically for multi core processors that you get a serious benefit.

Still 1405 in Quadrant is not as awesome as I thought it'd be. Anything else I should do. Might go custom rom next.

Will factory reset be advised or am I fine.

Have you tried Darkys rom?

I look away for 5 mins! ;)

1400 in Quadrant is fine. Anything faster isn't any actual speed increase, it's just fooling Quadrant into thinking it's reading and writing faster than it actually is because of a loopback buffer.

To get the best all round experience I found I used the hardcore speedmod kernel, did the standard all=ext4 lagfix then enabled all tweaks from the tweak menu.

Don't factory reset unless it won't boot or you get lots of force-closes.

Didn't try anything but CM or lag-fixed stock ROMs.

Yeah I've JPY, hardcore's kernal, all tweaks, ext4.

Lightening responses now. Swype word change speed and everything in general is so quick.

I'm not gonna get any speed improvements by doing a factory reset?h

Gonna give Darkys super fast rom a shot now. Never using stock firmware ever again. It's so easy to flash new roms and kernals

Darkys ROM is gorgeous, man and it is unreal fast. I mean it's phenominal. I threw hardcores kernal back on.

It's so easy to flash roms and kernals. Simple beyond belief.

Quadrant 1750 :shock:

Also what is the market fix in sgs tools? What does that do?

Darkys ROM is gorgeous, man and it is unreal fast. I mean it's phenominal. I threw hardcores kernal back on.

It's so easy to flash roms and kernals. Simple beyond belief.

Quadrant 1750 :shock:

What is the easiest way to go from 2.2 to Darkys ROM? Any step by step guides out there?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â