Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Try rock player. I'm using a galaxy s and the native video player supports almost all video formats so have never needed a third part app. But rock player has support for loads of file formats I believe.

Any thoughts on the Orange San Franciso? looks a bargain at £99

Look back just a couple of pages.

Excellent phone for the dosh, decent screen, recentish android, rest is a bit of a compromise but for £99 what do you expect? If the processor was any faster and the camera any better, it would be a £400 phone.

And the good news is it cost me £5 to get it unlocked, as Oranges tarrifs are terrible, and thsir customer service stinks to high heaven. I dont think they sorted out my billing yet.

I'm going to order one today.

It could be as cheap as £72.99 when you take off NUS discount (15 zero's ;D then £5 off code, then £12 quidco + £10 compulsory top up).

Also, it can be unlocked on ebay for 99p this is confirmed.

Just need to try my hand at flashing and all that to get rid of all the Orange bloatware.

Aye. I have no problems with it. I use Chrome on my desktop and I would love to see the Chrome to Phone app be rolled out for 2.1, I cant see any reason why they cant do it either.

Any thoughts on the Orange San Franciso? looks a bargain at £99

Look back just a couple of pages.

Excellent phone for the dosh, decent screen, recentish android, rest is a bit of a compromise but for £99 what do you expect? If the processor was any faster and the camera any better, it would be a £400 phone.

And the good news is it cost me £5 to get it unlocked, as Oranges tarrifs are terrible, and thsir customer service stinks to high heaven. I dont think they sorted out my billing yet.

I'm going to order one today.

It could be as cheap as £72.99 when you take off NUS discount (15 zero's ;D then £5 off code, then £12 quidco + £10 compulsory top up).

Also, it can be unlocked on ebay for 99p this is confirmed.

Just need to try my hand at flashing and all that to get rid of all the Orange bloatware.

Just ordered it.

I was wrong with my calculation about as the student discount is only a tenner and the £5 off code cannot be used in conjunction.

I did however get it for £79.99 delivered.

1) Picked up a sim pack from Argos for £1, called Orange and got it registered.

2) Called 0800 079 2000, option 1 then 2. Told them I was an existing customer and that a friend of mine had just had a discount on a PAYG handset, guy took the £20 off and no need for compulsory £10 topup.

Lovely Jubbly. Can't wait for it to arrive now.

I can get >£85 from the various phone recyclers for my current HTC Magic.

Firefox beta is out for Android now.

I tried it, it constantly crashes to home.

And is a demonstration of everything that is wrong with firefox.

Serious bloat from the browser that started off as being extremely slim lined.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Firefox was never a lightweight browser... nothing based in any way shape or form on Netscape code has been lightweight for the past dozen years.

Firefox was never a lightweight browser... nothing based in any way shape or form on Netscape code has been lightweight for the past dozen years.

Back when it was first made as Phoenix it was billed as a bloat free alternative to the mozilla suite.

Absolutely. Gave it a chance and it was rubbish. I've left it installed in case there's a magical update that makes it blazing.

I've run Firefox since it was Phoenix and it was brilliant. Since Chrome came to Linux I've gotten used to the speed and if I use Firefox again now it feels really slow, just how it feels on Android.

Of course, it's still about 3 times as quick as IE on the desktop though.

Now this is cool. I downloaded PSx4droid the Playstation emulator, got the .bin file and downloaded FF7 Rom. I've ordered a Zeemote for a tenner from Amazon. Shortly I'll be doing

Oh tv out on a Galaxy S, how I love thee.

Had a bit of a play with a Galaxy S today, scouting potential upgrades kinda thing.

Nice bit of kit but the feel of the thing really takes the shine off the... experience?... of using it. It feels incredibly cheap. A feeling not helped by the lightness, it doesn't have that reassuring weight we (perhaps wrongly) tend to associate with well made things. It's almost too light.

But otherwise quite liked it, even with the personal reservations I've always had with Samsung's phones, never found one I particularly liked using.

YYeah Chindie a few people and reviewers have said that about the Galaxy S, it feels plasticy and doesn't feel as solid because it's so light. People are used to the 140g aluminium smartphone that a departure to a 110g plastic one feels like a cheap knock off almost.

Personally having only had my first smartphone the X10 for a few months the weight of it was a bit of a problem for me, so the lower weight of the Galaxy S was something that I liked. But people who have had iPhones or Desires etc.. may be used to the 140g weight and think the Galaxy S is too light, hence what some reviewers said.

But think of it like this, Samsung went to great lengths to get it this light and they did it with the hands down king of cpu gpu combo's. This is my first samsung phone and to say I'm happy with it is an understatement. It was god enough to make me dutch a brand new xperia x10 after only a few months.

But the beauty of android is choice. I'm going one of my friends gets the desire hd as I'd really want to have a play around with it.

Had a bit of a play with a Galaxy S today, scouting potential upgrades kinda thing.

Nice bit of kit but the feel of the thing really takes the shine off the... experience?... of using it. It feels incredibly cheap. A feeling not helped by the lightness, it doesn't have that reassuring weight we (perhaps wrongly) tend to associate with well made things. It's almost too light.

But otherwise quite liked it, even with the personal reservations I've always had with Samsung's phones, never found one I particularly liked using.

When I first picked one up in the whorephone whorehouse I thought it was a dummy. When the guy said it was real I was shocked, I just wasn't used to anything that light and it felt like a toy. I wouldn't say it felt incredibly cheap, just no reassuring weight.

After owning it for about 3 months now I don't feel anything of the sort. It feels solid but light and then when picking up someone's iPhone they feel like a housebrick. It's all about what you get used to and there's no part of the SGS that feels cheap to me now, apart from maybe when you knock it you can feel the vibration motor inside resonate a little. Other than that there is only one front facing physical button that feels fine and the ones on the side feel fine too. The back cover fits very snugly and nothing creaks.

I'd say the build quality is maybe slightly better than any Nokia I've owned (lots!) and much better than the SE w910i and my HTC Dream. It probably feels on par with iPhones as everything fits perfectly, no odd gaps and no creaks etc. just don't let the weight fool you into thinking it's not well built.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â