Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Again, I have a skewed point of view because I work in public transport and see literally hundreds of commuters every day so this might affect my opinion, but the move towards tablets which can make phone calls is something which shows no sign of slowing down.  People will increasingly just connect a headset to these larger devices and make calls that way.  

Again, I have a skewed point of view because I work in public transport and see literally hundreds of commuters every day so this might affect my opinion, but the move towards tablets which can make phone calls is something which shows no sign of slowing down.  People will increasingly just connect a headset to these larger devices and make calls that way.  

The think about making a call with a headset on is that if you speak too loudly, you end up looking mental, like you're talking to thin air.

That perception might change in the future though - and fwiw, it hasn't caught on in Singapore at all.

I wear a BT every day when commuting. Usually with a podcast playing. When I take a call, people will look around at the sudden speaking, but they realise straight away what's going on and go back to their own little world.

Again, I have a skewed point of view because I work in public transport and see literally hundreds of commuters every day so this might affect my opinion, but the move towards tablets which can make phone calls is something which shows no sign of slowing down. People will increasingly just connect a headset to these larger devices and make calls that way.

I've made two calls in the past 2 weeks and both were about 30 seconds long.

Calls are like the last thing I use my phone for and I always have headphones with a mic so can use those if I needed.

Problem with a 6.40 inch tablet phone is it's too big for my jeans pocket. A note 2 is too big to be comfortable in my jeans.

I'd be getting a 6.3-6.5 region tablet for replacement of my existing tablet. Rather than replacing my phone. I can't see thus Sony phone being a hit at all given its price.

Calls are like the last thing I use my phone for and I always have headphones with a mic so can use those if I needed.

:suspect:

When I want something done, I don't text and wait for the person at the other end to get back to me in 10 hours, I call the **** up. And if he doesn't pick up, I call and call again until he does.

Just because you don't understand how something happened doesn't mean the phone broke itself or the underpants gnomes came and did the damage at night. :P:rolleyes:

See if O2 will replace it or get it repaired. I've damaged the simcard slot somehow on a phone before. These things happen.

So..

I took it into the o2 shop, told them the battery had just died. He plugged it into a charger in the shop and confirmed to me "Your battery has died. It won't even accept a charge".

He told me that the best thing to do is to contact Samsung, and they'll send me a replacement battery free of charge.

I called them, they gave me a reference and asked me to email them some 'proof of purchase' details.

I emailed Samsung with a shitload of references off my contract and receipt last Wednesday. I got an email on SATURDAY asking me to scan them a copy of the receipt.

I emailed them a scanned copy of the receipt within hours of getting the email, on Saturday.

They emailed me on TUESDAY saying that they had ordered my replacement battery and that I should receive it in 7-10 days.

Tbh, I'm pissed off at the time it's taken them to replace their shoddy equipment.

I'm gonna lodge a complaint later tonight, and I may move to an iphone when I next get an upgrade.

I've had Samsungs for a while now, but the time taken to reply to my emails has really annoyed me.

Your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Know your rights and don't let the retailer fob you off.

You don't have a contract with Samsing and they are under no obligation to help you.

• Like 1

Samsung are pretty shoddy with customer care. They have form with refusing to honour warranties due to moisture damage as shown by their moisture indicator. The problem is that once the phone has been a sweaty pocket once it will show on the moisture indicator.

It's one thing Apple do really well. If you have a problem with Apple devices you generally good very good service. Actually Google do as well with their Nexus support. They advance replaced my Nexus 7 for a broken USB socket and I had 3 months to send the old one back before being charged. They provided a pre-paid RMA envelope with the new one and the process couldn't have been easier.

Samsung, on the other hand, need to get bitten with this.

As Limpid points out, Samsung need to do no such thing. Some companies do so anyway just for good PR, but I think it's all a bit arse about face.

Don't complain about companies who won't go above and beyond, offering warranties when they have no requirement to do so. Go to the retailer who sold you the device. They are legally obliged to remedy the situation if it is a fault with the device, and if it's within 6 months of you buying it, the onus is upon the retailer to prove that it is not an inherent fault with the device. Which essentially means unless it's bloody obvious you've been negligant, they have to replace or repair the phone.

Leave Samsung alone and make the bastards who sold it to you honour their obligations, they get away with far too much.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Most retailers will back off the warranty to the manufacturer rather than being a middle-man. They have the agreements in place to do so as it's more efficient that way. The retailer generally has very little in the way of profits to be able to pay for the operations for full warranty support.

As you've said, this is outside of a consumer's statutory rights. But the Sales of Goods act 1979 (amended 1994) rarely gets used these days, as the retailer will normally back down before it goes that far. And it's therefore become the de facto way of operating warranties.

My point was about customer care. Whether they're required by law to do it or not, Apple are excellent at looking after their customers. Samsung aren't. They need to get better at it because it makes them look bad.

I've used the Sales of Goods act previously to reject vehicles as unfit for purpose and I constantly bang on at people who've bought cars with extra warranties and such about what the seller's responsibilities are, so I know how it works. You're talking about what should happen, I'm talking about what actually happens. What should happen is that once the retailer has sent someone to the manufacturer to deal with the warranty, if the manufacturer refuses to honour it, the consumer should then formally reject the goods as not reasonably reliable to the original seller. What actually happens is that consumers will think that's the end of the line and be unhappy. If Samsung don't intend to honour warranties on behalf of the retailers then they shouldn't agree to do so in the first place.

What makes you think Samsung do agree to it? I've worked within a few tech manufacturers (not phone related) and I know how pissed their services departments get about being flooded by stuff that is none of their concern. The retailers rarely have a good relationship with the manufacturers.

You're probably right about what does happen. I think this is a problem with the general public's knowledge of consumer law, more should be done to let people know what their rights are. I think you're wrong about what should happen.

The consumer should not, under any circumstances be sent to the manufacturer. If necessary, the goods should be sent to the manufacturer, by the retailer.If it can't be repaired within an adequate amount of time, the goods should be replaced or the cost should be refunded by the retailer, and then they should cover this by receiving recompense from the manufacturer.

There's no benefit at all for the consumer to go right to the manufacturer. It's a retailer's ploy to escape their legal obligations. They hope that people will just give up. In an ideal world, I'd have 'mystery shoppers' returning goods, and when retailers so much as suggest it's not their problem and the manufacturer should be contacted, they'd have a fine so large they never do it again. PC World, Comet and Dixons are the worst for this, and it's about time they were punished.

Edited by Davkaus

:suspect:

When I want something done, I don't text and wait for the person at the other end to get back to me in 10 hours, I call the **** up. And if he doesn't pick up, I call and call again until he does.

I don't use my phone for work. I use the phone at my desk for that. When arranging things with mates I do it in advance. With WhatsApp you can see if someone has read the message or not.

On Samsung. They are very good in support if there is a licenced repairs facility near you. Here in London the Laptop repair is up beside Angel. I've never had a problem with any of the 6 Samsung phones I've owned. But pretty sure you can go to the Samsung store with problems.

But the amount of time it took for you to get a reply to each mail is ridiculous. I agree you should complain.

Although the Sony Z Ultra looks massive I can see how it would work if you are trying to converge a phone and a tablet.

Sony have a video of a Bluetooth device which works with it. It can be used as a bluetooth earphone device but equally can be used as a connected handset which you can answer calls and hold like a traditional handset.

The think about making a call with a headset on is that if you speak too loudly, you end up looking mental, like you're talking to thin air.

That perception might change in the future though - and fwiw, it hasn't caught on in Singapore at all.

Don't forget it also makes being mental much more socially acceptable.
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â