Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I am getting really pissed off with the length of time it takes Samsung to bring out there bastardised updates. One thing you cannot knock Apple for is everyone gets the update at the same time no matter what network your on.

Jelly Bean sounds really appealing so toying with the idea of getting A Galaxy Nexus now or waiting to see if there are any rumours of a new model for a November release.

Nexus owners convince me this is the right move.

My S3 is now running Jelly Bean thanks to cyanogenmod. It's pretty damn stable for a preview release, only a couple of minor niggles.

There's really no need to go with a nexus handset if you want pure android as long as you're willing to wait a few weeks.

mykeyb the Nexus would be your comparison for Apple. Sammy, HTC etc.. add to the features in vanilla android. I think their additions are beneficial, but they come at the cost of a delay. If you don't want the delay you get the Nexus series.

The thing is the choice is there, some people feel having the most up to date software is what they want, but the price they pay is getting older technology as the last 3 nexus phones have had their manufacturers release superior phones a few months later.

I personally would love to own a Nexus phone if they would just make it cutting edge tech like the Galaxy S series are upon their release. I cannot forgive no removable sd card in the nexus series either. Also why they randomly made the camera inferior in the Galaxy Nexus!

These odd decisions irritate me and have put me off buying one. As has the fact the last 2 phones have been modified versions of current Samsung galaxy S phones I have owned. I hope at some point the phone itself will be desirable without the pure google selling point.

Conor: re. Nexus 7. I'm used to JellyBean so the wow of that bit is lost on me. It runs almost exactly the same as my Galaxy Nexus. The killer feature is the form factor. The notepad style 7" is absolutely, utterly, bang-on perfect. Any bigger or smaller, any heavier or lighter and it wouldn't feel as right. The screen isn't as good as a SAMOLED, being IPS it looks a little washed out, which is why I've never really liked the iPad or iPhone displays. It's basically a Kindle on steroids though, just slightly bigger and heavier and the price is amazing for what you get.

mykeyb: Personally I don't think there's anything to beat the JellyBean with Galaxy Nexus combination for a phone. Having CM for the S3 is great but it's gonna be a while before it's rock solid. They don't have source for the drivers so they have to port them from other devices or reverse engineer them, which means things won't ever be perfect. You'll never get a perfect 3rd party build for a non-Nexus device. You can't even get a perfect 3rd party build for a Nexus device which isn't the exact version of Android built for it by Google already. I don't want to go around the houses again with this debate, but I've had a HTC Dream (G1), HTC Desire (briefly), Galaxy S1, Nexus S, Galaxy S2 (briefly) and now Galaxy Nexus. As soon as the next Nexus phone is announced, I'll be getting it, I'm a Nexus convert now and I'll never have a manufacturer customised phone again. When I had the S2 it took me about a day of using it and realising how difficult it still is to run the latest and greatest Android and not have Samsung stuff get in the way all the time before I very quickly sold it to a mate and bought the Galaxy Nexus. But I would say you should be OK getting an S3 now, then selling it when the next Nexus comes out, maybe November and changing then.

Very good article, not sure if it's been posted before: http://lifehacker.com/5924547/frustrated-by-android-fragmentation-just-buy-the-nexus-already

Any music player recommendations?

My biggest concern about swapping from iPhone was the music factor. I love the shuffle feature on the iPod where it puts things into randomised lists rather than playing a completely random song which is what the Android player does.

I liked the stock player on the S2, but am not feeling it on the S3 as it doesn't auto pause where I'm at on a track when I unplug the headphones. I listen to 2 hour dj sets so my position in a track is important.

I may delve into the play store and have a look at some new ones. I'll have a check of youtube for a video comparison of the best players. Youtube is awesome these days for Android help and advice. Some people play with their phones non stop and are there to tell me the useful things on their videos.

Google helping google :D

I'll grab a Nexus 7 if it's on sale in Heathrow tomorrow, gotta head back to Dublin for the weekend. Cheers for the info darren, it'll be my first pure google device.

Apple have to advertise on their website and on other publications that Samsung didn't copy the iPad. That's just plain funny

The judge ruled that because he said that Samsung devices clearly were not as cool as Apple devices. Do you not think Apple might mention that in their mandatory announcements?

mykeyb the Nexus would be your comparison for Apple. Sammy, HTC etc.. add to the features in vanilla android. I think their additions are beneficial, but they come at the cost of a delay. If you don't want the delay you get the Nexus series.

The thing is the choice is there, some people feel having the most up to date software is what they want, but the price they pay is getting older technology as the last 3 nexus phones have had their manufacturers release superior phones a few months later.

I personally would love to own a Nexus phone if they would just make it cutting edge tech like the Galaxy S series are upon their release. I cannot forgive no removable sd card in the nexus series either. Also why they randomly made the camera inferior in the Galaxy Nexus!

These odd decisions irritate me and have put me off buying one. As has the fact the last 2 phones have been modified versions of current Samsung galaxy S phones I have owned. I hope at some point the phone itself will be desirable without the pure google selling point.

I was very much of the opinion that the hardware was the most important bit but after seeing how long the S2 had to wait to get ICS and the fact my Sammy 10.1 Tab is still waiting for that upgrade I have decided that is simply not good enough. The S2 got ICS because it was still their flagship device the Tab had its replacement just about to hit the market so Samsung to the decision purely on finance to screw their customers over.

Once burnt..........

I agree that the next Nexus Phonereally should be the absolute top of the pile and maybe this time round if Google decide to sell direct through the play store it might well have to be.

I can buy a Nexus for probably £50 more than I can sell my S2 for which will do until November time when I will see what the new handset has to offer.

I agree that if you intend to hold onto a phone for a 2 year period then it can be frustrating. But there will be nothing as major an overhaul as 2.3 to 4.0 ever again for Android.

I've never had a problem with updates as I upgrade my phone annually. So I just get used to the whole experience as is and treat the new version of touchwiz and android that comes with the new Galaxy S as part of the package.

I'm more than happy with that to be honest. But if I was still on an S2 I'd probably rely on new software updates to keep my phone fresh.

Also galaxy tab as in the first Samsung tablet the was universally panned? You expected that to be upgraded!?

Flagship Galaxy devices will get upgrades. The S2 for example will get 4.1 so as for flagship devices I wouldn't worry too much. Sammy signed up to 18month of updates with Google on their flagship devices.

.1 upgrade cannot be that big to be honest. Also lots of the project butter is to solve stock ics problems that HTC and Sammy fixed themselves in the skins.

Anyway as I said software update at the expense of epic batterylife and swappable storage. To me it's giving up fundamental things for a minor gain.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â