Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

It will be interesting to see what happens to Windows Phone when Windows Phone 8 comes out, which is only two or three weeks away I believe. I think you would be absolutely insane to buy a Windows phone before that though.

Found out I can get 20% off Vodafone contracts seeing as my company use them for their corporate phones.

I'll either take them up on the offer or use it to bargain with O2 and see if I can get the S3 for cheaper than they're currently offering it.

Will pay them a visit on the weekend

Found out I can get 20% off Vodafone contracts seeing as my company use them for their corporate phones.

I'll either take them up on the offer or use it to bargain with O2 and see if I can get the S3 for cheaper than they're currently offering it.

Will pay them a visit on the weekend

You will need to go through retentions to get a decent deal from o2, the store will offer you diddly squat.

Can you borrow a work SIM and try it at home / work / commute? Vodafone is terrible where I live.

My ex was on vodafone and it was pretty good at mine.

But you're right, it was terrible at her house when she first got it, almost zero signal anywhere(although she complained and they sent he ra signal booster thingamajig and that did the job)

At work Vodafone is fine. They installed special masts or boosters or something here because everyone was complaining that they provided our phones but we didn't get much signal.

But the more likely scenario, if I'm honest, is that I'll knock O2's price down as a result of the Vodafone offer if I can. O2's served me pretty well for the past 4 years. Never really had any problems

From the looks of the S III (which has only just entered FCC certification in the US... because it's difficult/impossible to keep the certification process under wraps, Samsung doesn't enter their high-end phones for FCC certification until they've launched elsewhere), I'm not seeing enough to make me want to give up the physical keyboard. Even a Glide variant of the S III doesn't look to offer enough to make it worthwhile.

S3 sim free in stock on 16th june on Amazon

The S3 pebble blue page says that and also says just below it that "Samsung are unable to confirm the arrival date of Galaxy SIII".

Seems unlikely to come into stock on a Saturday,

I must say after having an iPhone for 4 years, I am really loving the S3. It is so effortless to use and the android OS seems really intuitive to me. Anyont got any hints/tips/apps that will help me fully utilise the s3's capabilities?

I must say after having an iPhone for 4 years, I am really loving the S3. It is so effortless to use and the android OS seems really intuitive to me. Anyont got any hints/tips/apps that will help me fully utilise the s3's capabilities?

Before you do anything else, learn Swype. Settings->Language and Input.

Install Chrome Beta and then login to your Google account from within all your other Chrome browsers.

I got my Pebble Blue S3 yesterday. After using an Xperia X10 for the last two years, a phone which Sony basically stopped all firmware updates on some time in 2011, this is a revelation. It's just a beautiful piece of equipment.

It runs a lot smoother than my laptop, and my laptop generally runs fairly smooooth...

I bet it would be interesting (can't be bothered right now ;) ) to read back through this thread at how Android has evolved over the past few years.

I think the major turning point was the Galaxy S1. That's where Samsung got into the market without any real idea of how it would turn out or how to build Android. The hardware (as always) was top notch, but the software at launch was awful. Touchwiz wasn't particularly good and they had the massive issues with lag due to the moviNAND flash storage with dodgy RFS filesystem which was rubbish at buffering.

As the time went on they sold loads of Galaxy S's and realised they had a money-spinner on their hands so invested heavily in developers and R&D for Android, worked closer with Google this produced the Nexus S, basically a Galaxy S with a Sandisk NAND formatted as ext4 but with a pure Google experience ROM.

The S2 was the next milestone. From launch it was excellent. No issues with Touchwiz or the ROM build and it could compete with the iPhone on 'average' user experience.

Now the S3 is out it's far in advance of any phone out there at the moment. For people such as me, Touchwiz rules it out, but I know I'm the exception.

Google and Samsung owe everything to HTC for the early models such as the Dream and Sapphire which started the ball rolling with early uptake, then Samsung's hardware and screens took the baton on.

Darren the Desire is a shocking omission from your history of Android there. That was the milestone phone, it was the first phone that was no question better than the iPhone. The Galaxy S was better once they updated it

The S2 was where Android really made themselves a cut above Apple. Harking back to Widows and OEMs pushing ahead of Apple. It is the phone which made Samsung the top in the smartphone arena and the S3 will cement that I'm sure.

Still I will have a tablet, phone and ultra book running windows 8 by this time next year. Windows is always king.

The Nexus one is the real milestone tbh, I think that is when Android got serious with its hardware. I'd include the Desire in with the Nexus one as they are basically the same phone.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â