Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I dunno why you're so committed to the S3 when nothing has been confirmed about it yet. For all you know it could be a total flop with Samsung pulling a 4s.

Yeah I'm kinda keen on it based on the assumed specs, 4.7 inch super amoled hd screen, quad core, better camera. I just loved the S and S2 so much I'll be keen to see another bigger and better screen from sammy.

Obviously I could be hugely disappointed if it isn't that. But I'm confident it will be given what HTC has just brought out with the One X.

Windows 8 though is kinda like what yours saying darren, you have your touchscreen tablet, you plug it into a monitor and you have a start menu and classic style windows. That appeals. I think they'll get milage out of that then push on with smartphones that do similar.

I love windows as an os. I hate android as any way a replacement for it. :winkold:

Since this has kind of morphed into mobile industry general chat (and perhaps this should be split?), I'll just toss in this analysis of RIM's prospects

Research In Motion, the BlackBerry pioneer that lost its way, finally admitted last week that it's in need of a major transformation. After falling way behind rivals Apple and Google in the smartphone industry, RIM must reinvent itself or else.

The possibilities for RIM range from a quick sale to a slow, successful rebuilding process. There isn't a single, obvious outcome. And it doesn't look good: Almost all signs point to RIM reducing its staff significantly.

Option 1: Drop It Like It's Hot

One option is for RIM to sell itself right now for the highest amount it can get. While the BlackBerry phone platform isn't competitive anymore, and the once-iconic brand isn't worth much, there are parts of RIM that could be useful to someone.

For example: Its back-end service infrastructure and business. Its millions of subscribers around the world. Its patents. Its large corporate contracts to outfit companies with thousands of devices. Or its direct access to promising engineers in Waterloo, Ontario, graduating from Canada's biggest engineering university.

The trouble with this scenario is finding a buyer willing to pay an acceptable amount of money for the company, knowing its assets are declining in value and the company is in disarray. Any acquirer would be forced to quickly reduce headcount, with the baggage that comes along with that.

Why buy RIM today for an amount you know will shrink as time goes on? When I first wrote in 2009 that Microsoft should buy RIM to jumpstart its mobile business, it would have probably cost $35 billion to get the deal done. Today, the market values RIM at less than $7 billion. Anyway, Microsoft - still the most logical acquirer - is busy with Nokia right now. That may or may not be the right long-term bet, but adding RIM to the mix just adds more chaos.

Other buyers could potentially include Facebook, Amazon, Google or even Apple. But none is likely to spend more than the bare minimum for whatever scraps it finds useful. That doesn't give this scenario much hope. So I'm assigning a 20% probability to RIM selling itself within a year for $7 billion or more.

Option 2: Control-Alt-Delete

Rebooting RIM may be the best long-term strategy to keep the company independent. This concept has been successful for IBM, famously. But it's a lot easier said than done.

The move that makes the most sense now is getting rid of RIM's handset business and trying to make the BlackBerry platform something that corporations and governments can't live without, regardless of their choice of devices. Selling handsets still represents the majority of RIM's sales - 68% last quarter - but it's a money loser.

Still, this means shedding a huge number of employees and betting on a software and services platform that might never catch on in the open market. (Pulling out of the handset business, then, would have to be a carefully calculated move.)

This means RIM will shrink in all metrics and may never become as big as the RIM of 2008. But that's reality, and you can't recreate the past.

This is a bold strategy, but RIM's new CEO Thorsten Heins may finally be ballsy enough to do it. I'd say that there's a 40% chance RIM will announce plans to widely open its platform within a year. (It's already starting.) And there's perhaps a 10% chance it's wild enough to also announce plans to wind down the handset business. (This may not make sense right away, though it would be the strongest way to proclaim RIM's new mission.)

Option 3: Slip and Slide

Another strategy - the one that RIM's old bosses had been using for years - is to stick with the status quo, pretend everything is fine, and assume that whatever RIM will be able to ship next year will be better enough.

Under this model, RIM would likely continue to lose market value and financial viability, until it's either sold in a fire sale or goes out of business.

Given RIM's history, there's perhaps a 30% chance that sticking with the old plan will also be the new plan. But it does sound like Heins actually knows he can't do that.

Option 4: Miracle Comeback

One last possibility is that RIM will orchestrate one of the world's greatest all-time comebacks. This is admittedly far-fetched and probably less than 1% likely. But it's not completely impossible.

It would require creating a product or service that leapfrogs Apple, Google and the rest of the mobile industry, and becomes an immediate must-buy. Something so amazing that I'd drop my iPhone and run to the Verizon store to buy RIM's new toy.

This sounds unlikely, especially given RIM's track record. The iPhone was truly an unbelievable product when it launched, but Apple had that capability in its DNA. Even before Steve Jobs came back to rescue Apple, it was still shipping the best computers in the world. Apple just wasn't moving in the right strategic direction or thinking about the future in the right way, and Jobs changed that.

It would be tough to argue that RIM has the right recipe of talent, leadership and vision to make this reality. But it's not completely impossible. And it would make for a truly amazing story.

More likely: A modest push toward becoming primarily a mobile service provider and away from hardware sales. This is probably the safest and soundest bet.

my iPhone

The iPhone was truly an unbelievable product when it launched,

the best computers in the world.

They're almost bang on about RIM, but what is it with Apple fanboys?

The iPhone 2G wasn't even the best phone when it launched. It was dubbed the Jesus phone and no-one gave it much of a chance of success. The interface was smooth but very simple and very limited. You couldn't do a lot with them. The G1 was a much better phone when it launched a few months later.

And Macs have never been the best computers in the world. It's obviously highly subjective, but iMacs, G3s and G4s were awful, and were only ever used in print houses for Photoshop and Quark. They had a reputation for being very unstable, and they were very limited outside of the graphic design market. x86 Macs are a lot better, and the MacBooks are nice bits of kit. I'd have one tomorrow if they weren't ridiculously overpriced. Then I'd install a decent OS onto it.

32gb is ok, I agree. I already have a dropbox account that I use for work. It's a good service. The problem is I have a 64gb card in my phone that I will have no use for. As I said I don't think that's too big a deal, I can live with 32gb in the phone without any great problems.

The battery being built in, on the other hand, is a very big deal indeed, especially as, on the face of it, it's such an inadequate one.

I'm pinning my hopes on the S3 having a replacable battery, but if the One X had this, I'd be first in line for it.

was tempted by the One X specs but it's a shame HTC have gone from allowing SD cards and removable batteries to building both of them in.

I don't mind too much about the SD card but the lack of removable battery is a deal breaker for me.

Hopefully the S3 won't follow HTC's example..

...So, I just bought one. :oops:

Loving it so far, I picked it up at midday or so. The build quality feels great, the screen looks fantastic and everything's incredibly smooth.

The plastic body might not be for everyone, but it feels very solid, and it results in it feeling about half the weight of my old DEsire, even though it's much bigger.

Obviously it's far too quick for me to judge the battery properly, but after 5 hours of more than normal use for me (installing a whole bunch of apps, played a few games to test it out, watched an hour of video on the way home, and was listening to music almost all afternoon, the battery is at just over 70%.

I did only go in there to play with it and see what I thought, but I got a very good deal that I shouldn't really have got. 600 minutes, 1 gb data, 3000 texts, and the handset is free. £26 a month.

The guy I spoke to (in CPW) seemed fairly new and made a mistake, he was looking at the prices for another phone and didn't notice until they tried to charge me £200 right before confirmation...

One half of my internal monologue said that I should be a reasonable decent person, forgive his honest mistake, and either pay the price, or leave if I didn't like it.

Unfortunately the word removed in me won out and I argued the toss for 20 minutes until they gave me a bargain. :P

Latest Galaxy S3 rumour is given a good bit of credence by the tech sites. If the phone really looks like the glimpse we see in the poster then it could be stunning looking.

Said release date is 22nd May.

LEAK---GalaxyS3-04-580-100.jpg

Loving it so far, I picked it up at midday or so. The build quality feels great, the screen looks fantastic and everything's incredibly smooth.

The plastic body might not be for everyone, but it feels very solid, and it results in it feeling about half the weight of my old DEsire, even though it's much bigger.

Obviously it's far too quick for me to judge the battery properly, but after 5 hours of more than normal use for me (installing a whole bunch of apps, played a few games to test it out, watched an hour of video on the way home, and was listening to music almost all afternoon, the battery is at just over 70%.

I did only go in there to play with it and see what I thought, but I got a very good deal that I shouldn't really have got. 600 minutes, 1 gb data, 3000 texts, and the handset is free. £26 a month.

The guy I spoke to (in CPW) seemed fairly new and made a mistake, he was looking at the prices for another phone and didn't notice until they tried to charge me £200 right before confirmation...

One half of my internal monologue said that I should be a reasonable decent person, forgive his honest mistake, and either pay the price, or leave if I didn't like it.

Unfortunately the word removed in me won out and I argued the toss for 20 minutes until they gave me a bargain. :P

Had a play with one yesterday and thought it was absolutely fantastic. It's in a completely different league to all other phones out there.

The camera was just unbelievable, when taking a photo hold the shutter button, and see how fast it can take photos... quite remarkable.

The screen was lovely too, easily as good as the Sammy screen, I really don't understand why people rave about the Sammy screen so much, it's not THAT good.

The weight and thinness of it is lovely, and video and gaming looks awesome too. Mine is coming on the 10th... can't wait :D

Stevo imagine the phone actually looked like that. From what we can see it looks like the best looking phone I've ever seen.

Looks like probably no removable battery though, maybe no micro sd either if it's unibody.

But still, look at it

Pieface, the Sammy screen on the S2 is a year old now, wait for the new one.

But the reason we love the SAMOLED is the contrast, it can produce real blacks and is so vibrant. Also it takes less power than LCD. Basically OLED is superior tech, if HTC could get their hands on it at a price the could afford they'd be using it, no question. But it's sammys tech and they have a monopoly on it.

Stevo imagine the phone actually looked like that. From what we can see it looks like the best looking phone I've ever seen.

Looks like probably no removable battery though, maybe no micro sd either if it's unibody.

But still, look at it

The release date matches other (reputable) images I've seen. But the design of the phone doesn't.

This was the other pic I'd seen that websites are saying could be legit

samsung_galaxy_s3_22_may_original.jpg

I guess maybe the bottom of that could be what we're seeing in the pic you posted? Can't see the home button in yours though

that picture was discredited stevo as the email icon was 2.3 not 4.0 and also the presence of a home button would be going against android 4.0 and it's touchscreen buttons.

But the date could've been right.

Also 22 May is very very close to my 30th Birthday. Not saying anything to friends and family but it;s very close to my 30th. :D

Cool, didn't know :thumb:

Look forward to it anyway. Bit concerned that I may have to wait though.

I found out I can upgrade 3 months ealry through O2 rewards from 17th April, but also got an email saying O2 rewards finishes at the end of April, so don't know if that means I'll have to wait until July to upgrade, as the S3 obviously won't be out before the end of April.

Willl have to give them a ring

Latest Galaxy S3 rumour is given a good bit of credence by the tech sites. If the phone really looks like the glimpse we see in the poster then it could be stunning looking.

Said release date is 22nd May.

LEAK---GalaxyS3-04-580-100.jpg

Obviously fake unless the phone is completely warped.

Look at the angles on the lines, they just don't match up at all. The edges of the screen aren't approaching anything near parallel.

It's a REALLY bad photoshop. So either samsung are plugging their products with really bad photoshops, or it's fake.

The screen stops before the phone curves though. The bit that has the screen is totally flat.

NOt that I'm saying it isn't fake, it may well be. I just don't understand what you mean.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â