Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I'd consider waiting at this point.  If Google decide to release a new model every year then they will announce one soon, the current version is almost 11 months old. 

That said, they might decide to release the new one a bit nearer Christmas this year so it will be every bit as shiny as the next iPad when that gets released. 

Also it is so easy to transfer your apps and settings between Android tablets even if you bought one tomorrow and replaced it with the new model when it is released you could have everything back as it was in next to no time. 

• Like 1

I'd agree wait at least till late June as I'm quite sure they will refresh the line. So ask again on here in 4/5 weeks and if there has been no leaks by then go buy one. But tbh it's dated now, there has to be a refresh imminent. 

Probably worth knowing if you take CVByrne's purchasing advice he will have you buying every single Android thing that gets released ever.

:P

• Like 1

Could never get one off contract. Tried to get one but never could. Also tried to get the Nexus 4 around the same time and that was impossible too.

So got fed up and went back to the S3, got one off eBay.

:rolleyes:  I do only own 3 Android devices right now.  :P  S3 was sold last week. 

Just my S4, Nexus 4 & Tab 7.7 now. 

This is not good for HTC  :(

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352838/htc-in-disarray-kouji-kodera-staff-departures-disastrous-first-and-production-problems

Had a read at that mate and while it is worrying i absolutely love my new black HTC One. The first day i took it out on a test drive i was having a meal with my fiancee and while she went to the toilet i started to play with the phone. A group of young ladies seated beside me noted the phone right away and asked me what it was. They all had a go on it and gave it a massive thumbs up. Its just so easy to use and intuitive.

I visited my local O2 shop a couple of days ago just to pass a few minutes and started to play around with the S4 to see if i felt any differently about it and when i got into the phone i must say i enjoyed it much more than i did previously, so much so that a member of the sales team very nearly persuaded me to take another contract out on the S4. Still considering a purchase so then having the best of both the One and S4 but this time i think i'll avoid the contract and just purchase on Gumtree where you can grab the S4 for between £390.00-£450.00 depending on condition.  

Yeah they are the two top android phones. But it's such a shame HTC is trodden all over by Samsung. It's iPhone or Galaxy to the wider public. Which is to the total detriment of consumers.

Let's hope the One sales can save HTC. It's the only thing they have.

Or the original S4 & One. As if the camera apps are not present then it's obviously a deal breaker. I hope that those apps can make it to the stock version. 

But for me, the main reason I chose S4 over HTC One in the first place remains. Bigger screen in a smaller body. I'm also an Amoled screen fan. Plus the camera in the S4 is utterly stunning. Not to mention superior battery. 

we'll have to wait and see the reviews of the S4 GE and see if there have been too many (if any) sacrifices. 

This may be a stupid question, but if someone buys a skinned HTC One and HTC go bump, will they cease to receive the latest Android updates?

Also, if they bought the vanilla Android version, are the updates sent in line with Nexus products from Google?

There is no Vanilla Android version, but if there was one similar to the Samsung Galaxy S4 version. then google would do the updates.

As for the updates of the One if HTC go under. Firstly never buy a skinned phone expecting updates from anyone bar Samsungs Galaxy S line.

The HTC One is on Android 4.1 still and 4.2 got released in november last year. Also Google has decoupled most of their apps from os updates so this fragmentation isn't as big an issue now as it was.

Finally, HTC will be taken over by someone and not go under. It's too valuable to let die. So I wouldn't worry about being "cut off" if you bought a HTC One.

There is no Vanilla Android version, but if there was one similar to the Samsung Galaxy S4 version. then google would do the updates.

As for the updates of the One if HTC go under. Firstly never buy a skinned phone expecting updates from anyone bar Samsungs Galaxy S line.

The HTC One is on Android 4.1 still and 4.2 got released in november last year. Also Google has decoupled most of their apps from os updates so this fragmentation isn't as big an issue now as it was.

Finally, HTC will be taken over by someone and not go under. It's too valuable to let die. So I wouldn't worry about being "cut off" if you bought a HTC One.

Cheers buddy

If HTC cease to exist tomorrow they will still probably put updates out more quickly than they managed it for my HTC Hero back in the day.  I think they lost a lot of people's business back when they shafted everybody who bought that phone. 

S4 has hit 10 million sales already. Also heard on a podcast that Samsung accounted for 95% of all Android profits last year, be it phones or tablets. 95% of all the profits were Samsung. 

So essentially Apple makes 100% of the profits for iOS, Samsung effectively is Android. Which is bad news for everyone. 

Was this just inevitable all along?

S4 has hit 10 million sales already. Also heard on a podcast that Samsung accounted for 95% of all Android profits last year, be it phones or tablets. 95% of all the profits were Samsung. 

So essentially Apple makes 100% of the profits for iOS, Samsung effectively is Android. Which is bad news for everyone. 

Was this just inevitable all along?

Samsung have done very well out of Android but there is hope that the likes of Sony, HTC, LG & Motorola under the leadership of Google may bring handsets to the marketplace that could do very well indeed. Android doesnt necessarily need Samsung to do worse just for other manufacturers to do much much better.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â