Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Thanks for that Rev. This was actually one of the very few reviews on youtube that i have missed.

Like the reviewer said you'll not lose on either phone and if you could transfer the camera on the S4 to the HTC One then you'd pretty much have the perfect phone.

The build, speaker quality and the overall look of the phone was reason enough for my choice but it would be cool to own both.  

Well I'm not a HTC one fan as the phone is bigger than a S4 yet has smaller screen. But I know what I want and so made my decision based on it. Like you have with the One, I'd have no use for the big speakers yet it's clear you do. It's great that you took our advice and had a look at both phones and made the decision based on what you wanted. Wish everyone would do that instead of just buying Samsung or Apple and ignoring quality phones like the HTC One.

• Like 1

Also my Galaxy S4 has me in a bit or rage. The 4.2 vibrate all or vibrate nothing bug, I'm still calling it a bug is doing my head in. I hated it when using the Nexus 4 and it is still causing me serious annoyance.

Has anyone found a work around? The bug is that when you set an app like g talk to not vibrate it still will if system has vibrate on for notifications. 4.2.2 has this as a "feature" but it's incredibly annoying and the Web is full of people who share in my anger.

Nexus users, what do you do?

^^ How on earth can your phone vibrating annoy you? How can it not vibrating annoy you?

Turn it on - or turn it off?

Me no understand.........

I want vibrate on for some things, like text messages. But vibrate off for stuff like email, g talk and WhatsApp. But in 4.2 the system vibrate overrides the in app option. So all notifications vibrate or none do.

Baffling decision by Google.

I've just installed vybe from the play store. Haven't played with it yet. No idea if it'll help. In theory it could...

Well I'm not a HTC one fan as the phone is bigger than a S4 yet has smaller screen. But I know what I want and so made my decision based on it. Like you have with the One, I'd have no use for the big speakers yet it's clear you do. It's great that you took our advice and had a look at both phones and made the decision based on what you wanted. Wish everyone would do that instead of just buying Samsung or Apple and ignoring quality phones like the HTC One.

I suppose its a bit of a gamble as HTC are struggling at the moment but hopefully the HTC One with help with that and put them back on an even keel?

As advised by yourself and a few others VTers i did try both phones out in the O2 shop but the minute i held the S4 i just didn't like the finish as compared with the HTC One. However as you say thats down to personal choice and i've actually purchased the black one which is slightly harder to come by but maybe a little more susceptible to finger prints. This won't bother me as i'm going to get a good quality case for it and the usual screen protector.

I don't think there is much personal choice between the build materials and finish between the One and S4. The One mops the floor with the S4 and people who say otherwise are mad or lying.

I tolerate the plastic as all my phones bar the Nexus 4 have been plastic. I've never owned a HTC or iPhone. So don't have any longing for premium feel. I loved the S3 and for people who liked that phone they will love the S4 too.

I'm getting a bit intolerant of the TouchWiz bloat though, there's even more of it in the S4. I spent half an hour disabling loads of apps, hiding them in the drawer and turning off all the features bar the one I liked, smart stay.

I still like the launcher and the core apps more than I do stock. But those are coming at a cost. Let's put it this way, I'd prefer stock on this than TouchWiz. Something I didn't feel on the S3.

But at the end of the day, big screen in a small footprint, blazing fast processor, excellent battery life and superb camera are the features the keep the Galaxy S series the device that best fits my needs. Despite my consternation at the plastic and increasing bloat.

Personally, I don't feel like there's a particularly desirable phone out there these days. I'd say at the moment that the iPhone is the best hardware-wise, and if I could get that with Android that would be my choice.

I've still got my Galaxy Nexus and have absolutely no reason to change it because the Nexus 4 seems too easy to crack and not enough of an upgrade, the S4 has Touchwiz, and the One has Sense. Actually those aren't really negatives, they just aren't the positives of having the freedom of a Nexus.

I'm still clinging onto that rumour of a partnership with Nikon for the next Nexus. Rugged, fantastic camera, great screen, Nexus, and I'm sold.

Have to agree Darren. There hasn't been a phone since the S2 that I've been really keen to get. Maybe the Nexus 4 but Google killed that with the website crash debacle. Then the phone itself was a bit of a let down.

Last device I was eager to get that delivered was my Series 9 ultra book. Before that it was the first and second galaxy S phones due to the combo of stunning screen and screen size.

I think Samsung have actually gone too far with the stuff on the S4. Do the owners need another navigation solution or translation service. When the OS takes up close to 50% of its 16gb storage thats overkill.

An S4 running stock android would be a no brainer....

Well if anyone cares... I've been using my HTC One for a few months now, and it's easily the best phone i've ever had by a million miles. I'm usually one of those people who root & ROM their phone monthly, but I just haven't needed too with the HTC One as the stock ROM is just so good. Battery life is awesome with a lot of 3G use, the screen is awesome (i'm not a fan of the Samsung screens though,  the colours look horrible to my eyes, almost too colourful if that makes sense) and the build quality is absolutely fantastic. 

Just wish HSBC would bloody fix their phone app, it doesn't work on 1080p screens... can't believe such a massive business can have such shite mobile apps. 

• Like 1

In fact, there's a lie in my previous statement... the Samsung screens do not look horrible at all, complete exaggeration. They look very good, but they just don't seem "right" to me... think it's the contrast, not sure, cant put my finger on it.  

Edited by PieFacE

Samsung put in different screen modes to dampen the colours on their phones if people want to. But it's personal opinion on which screens you prefer. When it comes to the One and S4 though the difference is marginal.

Personally I prefer Samsung Amoled as I like the vibrant colours and real blacks that LCD screens can't do. Amoled is more power efficient and battery life is a big thing for me.

But it really is marginal preference at this stage given the sheer quality of the 1080p screens.

Reading the Engadget article on the S4 Octo vs Snapdragon and am rather disappointed. Octo has slight performance boost but fairs worse in battery tests. Which is a bit gutting to be honest as that's the main reason I bought the Octo.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â