Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

As for touchwiz vs stock it's at the stage where the debate is pointless imv. Both work very well and I like them both. I'd edge towards touchwiz as nicer (dialler, messaging) to use, but stock will get updates quicker and it's quicker to get to Google now.

The problem stock suffers from imo is the Galaxy Series phones are better than the Nexus. So I end up using S3 more than Nexus 4.

Still though, much of a muchness now tbh. I'd give everything to have a 2 day battery life though on a reasonable sized phone.

I have no problem with how Touchwiz works. It's perfect.

It's the bloatware that, as previously discussed, is becoming more and more prominent with every update, it appears, as well as all the default samsung stuff like keyboards and bookmarks etc.

(I assume that's all part of touchwiz, I'm a noob with this stuff so happy to be corrected)

Can you give examples of the Touchwiz bloat Stevo?

Yeah there's loads of apps and shit they install that I don't use. I hide them immediately in the app drawer and forget about them.

I install SwiftKey so have never actually used the Samsung keyboard. SwiftKey is the keyboard in the S4 actually.

I have the Nexus 4 and S3. I prefer the look of touchwiz and the dialler and SMS app are far better imo. But it's quicker to get to Google now on the nexus.

The winner for me on S3 is battery life and screen. Plus it's more comfortable to use than the Nexus. These are minor really. Very much down to personal preference.

I'm sure the S4 though will be a step up from S3 in all areas and will make the gap to Nexus bigger.

Can you give examples of the Touchwiz bloat Stevo?

Yeah there's loads of apps and shit they install that I don't use. I hide them immediately in the app drawer and forget about them.

I install SwiftKey so have never actually used the Samsung keyboard. SwiftKey is the keyboard in the S4 actually.

I installed Swiftkey and always use it as well. but if you reboot an S3 it automatically sets the Samsung Keyboard back as the default, so you have to go into settings to change it back. That's exactly what I was talking about.

Other examples, the "Samsung Mobile Bookmarks" in Chrome. When I open my bookmarks it automatically takes me to that folder full of bullshit bookmarks that I would never use, so I have to back out of it and go into my actual bookmarks. As far as I can tell there's no way to stop it doing that or to delete those bookmarks or folder.

The constant updates of stuff like Samsung Push Service. I don't even know what that is.

None of it is hugely inconvenient or problematic. They're just mild annoyances that irk me. It's like they're trying to irritate me into using certain things.

And these are all things that weren't there when I first got my phone, they've been introduced on updates, which is what I meant by it geting worse the longer I have my phone.

Stevo hand on heart I've none of those problems.

SwiftKey is my default keyboard and Samsungs one doesn't come back when I reboot. That'd do my head in.

I have no idea what Samsung mobile bookmarks is. You'll have to explain that one.

The push service is updating all the time. Which is strange but hardly bothers me.

I like the launcher, dialler ap, SMS app and the notifications. Along with the Web that's all I use on a phone bar betting apps & dogg catcher.

Of course not everyone is the same. But I really like Samsung as the default apps that come on the device are good and I don't need replacements. I like the movie and music apps.

Suppose we've got to the stage where on Jellybean everything works. All the rough edges have been smoothed out. There's little to gripe with these days.

CVByrne, on 12 Apr 2013 - 13:42, said:

SwiftKey is my default keyboard and Samsungs one doesn't come back when I reboot. That'd do my head in.

I have no idea what Samsung mobile bookmarks is. You'll have to explain that one.

The push service is updating all the time. Which is strange but hardly bothers me.

I like the launcher, dialler ap, SMS app and the notifications. Along with the Web that's all I use on a phone bar betting apps & dogg catcher.

Of course not everyone is the same. But I really like Samsung as the default apps that come on the device are good and I don't need replacements. I like the movie and music apps.

Suppose we've got to the stage where on Jellybean everything works. All the rough edges have been smoothed out. There's little to gripe with these days.

Well it happens to me (Swiftkey) and I think Eames says it happens to him too.

Samsung bookmarks. In my bookmarks in Chrome, all my usual bookmarks are there, but there's also a folder called "Samsung Mobile Bookmarks". Inside that folder are some random bookmarks to "games" or "music" etc. Basically all samsung sites (I guess) where you can download stuff from. I've never used them and never will.

But you can't delete them. Either individually or as by trying to delete the whole folder, you can't get rid of them.

That wouldn't be so bad, but when I open Bookmarks, by default it takes me into this folder, so I have to go back a step to get to my actual bookmarks.

It's nothing more than a mild irritant, but it's still something that just seems to be there to annoy me.

Again, I don' thave much a of a problem with Touchwiz, and it's the only version of Android I've ever used. I can't compare it to vanilla android as I've only got a very limited usage of it (my mom's nexus 7) and fro what I saw it was largely the same as Touchwiz anyway.

These are just minor irritations I have with Touchwiz that I'm guessing wouldn't be there on vanilla android

Edited by Stevo985

As for Windows Phone. I've still never used it. Couldn't get a Lumia in yellow when I wanted one. Then racing season got going and sure things as trivial as phones take a distant back seat.

I'll probably stick to Android for foreseeable future tbh.

They both sound like headwrecking things to me Stevo. I'd definitely be complaining about them if I had them. The SwiftKey one is ridiculous. Something amiss there as I have never had that happen to me at all.

I found the Samsung Mobile Bookmarks in chrome. It's tucked away 2 levels down though under mobile bookmarks then Samsung. So no wonder I never knew about it.

Very strange that you have these problems and I don't. What firmware you on?

They both sound like headwrecking things to me Stevo. I'd definitely be complaining about them if I had them. The SwiftKey one is ridiculous. Something amiss there as I have never had that happen to me at all.

I found the Samsung Mobile Bookmarks in chrome. It's tucked away 2 levels down though under mobile bookmarks then Samsung. So no wonder I never knew about it.

Very strange that you have these problems and I don't. What firmware you on?

Whatever the latest one is I assume. It updated on Wednesday.

Stevo I present to you Android Revolution HD. The Touchwiz you know and love (with some extra features no doubt) with none of the bloat. 

sgs3.png

Interesting. I know nothing about ROMs though so this is a bit lost on me.

CVByrne, on 12 Apr 2013 - 13:42, said:

Well it happens to me (Swiftkey) and I think Eames says it happens to him too.

Samsung bookmarks. In my bookmarks in Chrome, all my usual bookmarks are there, but there's also a folder called "Samsung Mobile Bookmarks". Inside that folder are some random bookmarks to "games" or "music" etc. Basically all samsung sites (I guess) where you can download stuff from. I've never used them and never will.

But you can't delete them. Either individually or as by trying to delete the whole folder, you can't get rid of them.

That wouldn't be so bad, but when I open Bookmarks, by default it takes me into this folder, so I have to go back a step to get to my actual bookmarks.

It's nothing more than a mild irritant, but it's still something that just seems to be there to annoy me.

Again, I don' thave much a of a problem with Touchwiz, and it's the only version of Android I've ever used. I can't compare it to vanilla android as I've only got a very limited usage of it (my mom's nexus 7) and fro what I saw it was largely the same as Touchwiz anyway.

These are just minor irritations I have with Touchwiz that I'm guessing wouldn't be there on vanilla android

Yup ALL of this. The more I use my N7 the more I realise Touchwiz is annoying as arse.

Well, if you're interested in learning more I think this thread can come in handy in the future. Think of a ROM as basically the OS of your phone.

Massive amounts of geek speak I don't understand, plus huge potential to **** up and brick my phone with the added bonus of a voided warranty?

Nope. Won't be doing that then.

My external memory has been weird for months, where I open up the phone and get a message saying the "SD card stopped working" or something and then today open up and it's not even recognising it. 

Frustrating.

Well, if you're interested in learning more I think this thread can come in handy in the future. Think of a ROM as basically the OS of your phone.

Massive amounts of geek speak I don't understand, plus huge potential to **** up and brick my phone with the added bonus of a voided warranty?

Nope. Won't be doing that then.

The chances of messing up your phone are pretty much nil if you follow the instructions (which usually just boil down to "run this file. ok now run this file"). There'll come a point where you'll become fed up with your stock ROM, and if your warranty is already up, why the hell not? Rooting your phone is akin to getting administrative control over a computer. You're no longer restricted by the shackles of your OEM.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â