Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Yep. Although for YouTube just use the app. For final score use the iPlayer app.

If you want to watch flash-based video in a browser you'll need to install a browser like Firefox, then side-load a Flash APK. Then when on a site that's rubbish, poorly coded and unmaintained and requires flash video, set to request desktop site.

There's absolutely no excuse for any web site not showing you HTML5 video when detecting a mobile device. 

Yep. Although for YouTube just use the app. For final score use the iPlayer app.

If you want to watch flash-based video in a browser you'll need to install a browser like Firefox, then side-load a Flash APK. Then when on a site that's rubbish, poorly coded and unmaintained and requires flash video, set to request desktop site.

There's absolutely no excuse for any web site not showing you HTML5 video when detecting a mobile device. 

This is good to know.

On my S3 you can just use the Stock Samsung browser to watch Flash.

But on my mom's Nexus 7 I couldn't find any browser that supported Flash so I'll have to give this a go.

It's not really a phone though is it?  It's a tablet computer that you can make calls from. Samsung have proved there is a market for that with the Note and Note 2, and I'd expect others to follow suit because there really is no reason why a tablet shouldn't be able to make calls is there? 

Surely that makes it a phone?

It appears to be aimed at people who would use it as their normal phone.

Either way, if I saw someone whip that out to make a call with I'd laugh out loud.

And, to be honest, if it had a nice silver apple on the back of it, most people in this thread would too.

If they were holding it to their ear yes. But I doubt anyone would do that in any kind of regular fashion when it's so awkward. The vast majority of cases I use my mobile as a mobile internet device first, and I can make phone calls on it if the occasion requires, which is pretty rare.

• Like 1

This is good to know.

But on my mom's Nexus 7 I couldn't find any browser that supported Flash so I'll have to give this a go.

It works for xtube.

So I'm told.

• Like 2

It's not really a phone though is it?  It's a tablet computer that you can make calls from. Samsung have proved there is a market for that with the Note and Note 2, and I'd expect others to follow suit because there really is no reason why a tablet shouldn't be able to make calls is there? 

If thats where things are going will it lead to both a phone and Tablet/ 2nd phone both having the same number and contract? so you can call from both etc?

This is good to know.

It works for xtube.

So I'm told.

I'd like to think I'll never have the need to check if xtube works on my mom's tablet! :D

Cheers!

My contract is now up so I'm looking to replace my 2 year old Galaxy S, was thinking of a Nexus 4 or S3, but is are there any other phones I should consider?

I wouldnt go S3 as i believe S4 Launch is in 2 weeks and so will go on sale a couple of weeks after that youd imagine.

So id wait for that and then decide. Nexus 4 will probably be alot cheaper, will age better in regards to updates and is a great phone but can imagine S4 will be technologically superior(plus will have removable storage and battery) Each their own and all that

If it were me upgrading phone today (as an S3 user) I would be going for a N4. No questions asked. Its only really 1 year old tech but with the guaranteed OS updates it will still feel like a newer phone for far longer than the S3/"S4" ever will.

Out of curiosity which flash player would be best to watch things like project free tv and first row sports etc on a 4.2.2. tablet using firefox  ?

Edited by Brumerican

Out of curiosity which flash player would be best to watch things like project free tv and first row sports etc on a 4.2.2. tablet using firefox  ?

Linky

or here

Edited by Tegis

I think the rumours are that it will be announced in the next few weeks and released in early summer like the S3, S2 and Galaxy S were.    FWIW, the Nexus 4 is a spectacularly good phone. It's almost certainly the best phone you can buy today and it is stupidly cheap for what you are getting. Personally I think if you are in the market for a smartphone at the moment you would be mad not to buy it. 

It appears to be aimed at people who would use it as their normal phone, at least that was the impression I got.

Either way, if I saw someone whip that out to make a call with I'd laugh out loud.
And, to be honest, if it had a nice silver apple on the back of it, most people in this thread would too.

I'm not sure it does.  How people use phones seems to change drastically year on year, but people's attitude towards that change is noticeably slower.  It was barely a decade ago when some people would laugh out loud at anybody who had a mobile. I'm sure there were people who scoffed at the idea of a camera phone, or an internet enabled phone.  
It seems we reached the inflection point where  these devices went from being a phone with a computer bolted on to a computer which happens to be able to make phone calls quite some time ago and these two thirds tablet, one third phone devices are on the up and up.  I work on a commuter railway and just going about my day to day business I often see what the most popular gadgets are and the Samsung Note has been a spectacular success with businessmen who need a good web browser, email client, battery life and the ability to make calls. It's no surprise at all that other companies are copying the idea, and while the advert linked seems to imply they are aiming the device at twentysomething student/graduate types, that doesn't mean that they are not aiming it at other demographics either.  Yes, you might look like a bit of a dick of you hold it next to your head but there are plenty of ways around that. People dont even bat an eyelid at anybody making a call via earbuds these days. That's what I'd do if I had that phone.

HTC One X (I have) is on a par spec wise with the S3 but probably gettable for a bit cheaper (haven't looked). Its been a first class experience for me, I expect to keep it for a long time after the contract expires this summer.

I think the rumours are that it will be announced in the next few weeks and released in early summer like the S3, S2 and Galaxy S were.    FWIW, the Nexus 4 is a spectacularly good phone. It's almost certainly the best phone you can buy today and it is stupidly cheap for what you are getting. Personally I think if you are in the market for a smartphone at the moment you would be mad not to buy it. 

It appears to be aimed at people who would use it as their normal phone, at least that was the impression I got.

I'm not sure it does.  How people use phones seems to change drastically year on year, but people's attitude towards that change is noticeably slower.  It was barely a decade ago when some people would laugh out loud at anybody who had a mobile. I'm sure there were people who scoffed at the idea of a camera phone, or an internet enabled phone.  

It seems we reached the inflection point where  these devices went from being a phone with a computer bolted on to a computer which happens to be able to make phone calls quite some time ago and these two thirds tablet, one third phone devices are on the up and up.  I work on a commuter railway and just going about my day to day business I often see what the most popular gadgets are and the Samsung Note has been a spectacular success with businessmen who need a good web browser, email client, battery life and the ability to make calls. It's no surprise at all that other companies are copying the idea, and while the advert linked seems to imply they are aiming the device at twentysomething student/graduate types, that doesn't mean that they are not aiming it at other demographics either.  Yes, you might look like a bit of a dick of you hold it next to your head but there are plenty of ways around that. People dont even bat an eyelid at anybody making a call via earbuds these days. That's what I'd do if I had that phone.

5-6 years ago you had a mobile phone for making calls and texting on, maybe you had it set up to read emails. Smartphones today are used for so much more and consequentially will have and need a bigger screen. I wouldnt be suprised if mobiles will end up with a screen size of up to 6 inches and tablets will then move up from 7 inch to 9 inch with smaller bezels.

Tablets are going the other way, surely?  Steve Jobs said that tablets positively had to be 10 inches, hence the screen size of the iPad.   The Nexus 7 (amongst others) comes along, does absolute gangbusters and Apple have to react to it with the iPad mini. You need some kind of bezel on a device in order to have a "safe" area to grip the thing without spazzing out the screen. 

Yes the lines are blurring, more and more tablets will be able to make phone calls as time goes by (and why not? cellular radios are commonplace inside tablets) but I think there will always be a market for an iPhone sized device with a four inch screen. Being able to hold a phone with one hand and touch every part of the screen with the thumb of that hand is a sweet spot for a lot of people. 

**update - question for the forum**

It's Mrs The_Rev's birthday next week and I have bought her a Nexus 7 as a gift.  While I was in the shop I picked up the official Asus travel cover and I have to say it is an utter piece of shit.
I'd always been of the belief that the official stuff for a product would be pretty good, especially when the product itself is excellent but the case strikes me as a massive waste of £15. It seems fairly sturdy and grippy but that is about it.  It doesn't have a magnet to keep it closed and activate the sleep feature and it cannot be used as a kick stand, both of which my dad's generic eBay case can do and he got that for a tenner.  The case is going back to the shop tomorrow, any recommendations on a good one? Preferably from Amazon or the high street.

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â