Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Does anybody have a problem with certain apps not displaying in folders On the S3? Earlier today my Sky Go app had vanished from a folder I had it in, but there was an empty space where this was and I couldn't move anything else into its place.

It seems the way around it was to uninstall the app then reinstall it and add it back into the folder, but surely there's a simpler way than that?

Has the Nexus 4 missed the boat?

I was there ready to buy on the day it was released, we are now half way through January and there is no sign of it coming back into stock, Next month we have the MWC which will no doubt have quite a few new handsets being announced, some will no doubt have gone a step further than the Nexus 4 in terms of specs too.

As much as I love Nexus I might wait until Samsung announce the S4 just to see what they are offering on it this time.

I think I must have got one of the last nexus 4's as I still haven't received it. The thing is, yes you'll get better phones coming out soon but not at the price Google ask for the n4. Price is THE major factor. Still, bit pointless offering something for that price when you only make eleven of the bloody things.

Here's something annoying with my S3 that someone might be able to help with. It's only small but it frustrates me.

Since the last update, a folder in the Chrome bookmarks has appeared called "Samsung Mobile Bookmarks" or something. Naturally, it's full of bookmarks that no one will ever use.

But it won't let me delete them, or the folder itself.

That in itself wouldn't be annoying, but going into bookmarks in chrome defaults to that folder, meaning I always have to come back out of it to find my actual bookmarks.

I've googled it, but haven't found a solution.

As I said, it's minor, but it gets on my tits.

It's the devil.

**Edit**

I'll clarify;

Android is a mobile operating system developed and distributed by Google. Unlike Apple (iOS, Mac OS) who keep the operating system for themselves, or Microsoft (Windows) who sell it under license, Google give Android away for free to phone manufacturers who want it.

As Android is free and open source, manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Sony (etc) are free to "customise" it with their own apps and programs which are commonly known as custom skins. They all have brand names, the Samsung one is called Touchwiz. Usually these skins will feature bloatware, like the bookmarks folder you are complaining about. It's like when you buy a cheap PC and it comes with an eBay app or McAfee antivirus or something installed on the home screen whether you want it or not. You cant delete the custom skin stuff on Android without root access to the phone though.

When Google release a new version of Android then phones which run pure version of Android (basically the Nexus phones) will get the update instantly if Google are happy they are powerful enough to run it. Phones running a custom skin will have to wait months to get the update because they have to wait for Samsung or HTC or whoever to update their custom skin and they can update it until after Google have released it. Often they wont bother updating at all because they would rather you buy a new handset. Look at the S2 now, it had much worse after sales support than my Nexus S which was less powerful and a full six months older. I suspect the same thing will happen with the S3 when the S4 is released.

So yeah, Touchwiz is the devil even if the S3 is a **** brilliant phone.

Edited by The_Rev

Gotcha!

I've mentioned before that there is ery little difference between the stock Android and Touchwiz (as I now know what it's called). My mom's got a nexus 7 so I've tried both.

But yeah, I acknowledge the problems you've mentioned. Bloatware is horrible, and the wait for updates is inconvenient (although i probably care less aout that than a lot of people)

I always been a vocal critic of manufacturer modified Android versions, but I have to admit Touchwiz is a lot better than it used to be. It's now fine for most people. There are still some confusing parts that aren't there in vanilla Android, but overall much better.

I can see the benefits of both if Im honest. Some of the bollocks that Samsung bloat out Touchwiz with well bollocks. And annoying bollocks at best.

That said there are elements of Touchwiz that work better than the vanilla versions, and IMO the icons are prettier....

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â