Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I save a huge amount of space using dropbox. It syncs my photos and videos up there so I can clear out my photos often. Also I've my music stored up there. But I'm into podacasts now so don't really listen to music at the moment.

That involves knobbing about with a laptop though doesn't it? After my hateful 2 hour battle to get Kies to work so I could update to JB, I'm not going there again until I need to.

The Nexus 7 is on my xmas list so I will wait to get a flavour of 4.2 before leaping into the Nexus 4.

Eh no, you just need Dropbox app on your phone, you get 50gb storage with the S3 and you turn on auto upload photos via wifi. Google+ lets you do the same. Then you just delete photos every so often.

Music will involve uploading, but it's as easy as copying files from one folder on your pc to another. After you install dropbox on your pc it appears as a new folder.

Conor, Techradars 920 review is up and it's predictable stuff, compare it to the gushing ipad mini review and it's completely changed my view on their reviews,and not because of the 920 review but just how biased and different tthe ipad mini review is compared to the scrutiny other devices get. Read and you'll see. Thought they were above things like that. Guess traffic must be low recently.

I think Techradar may well regret that particular review in the coming months. Doesnt mention the faults or just glosses over them. If I was in the market for the Ipad mini and bought it on the strength of that review I'd be more than a little pissed. I mean they even invented a "Best in Class" award, what the hell does that mean - the best Ipad between 7 & 9 inches because there is huge competition in that market isnt there.

Storage wise while I wouldnt fancy trying to cope with the 8gig Nexus 4 I think the 16gig will be fine. I use Google Music to store the music in the cloud and this will be open to all when this goes live in a couple of weeks.

My photos get synced both to dropbox and Google+ and in all honesty now I have the Nexus 7 I havent bothered putting any films on my Galaxy Nexus.

It will be interesting in a couple of years time because I think peoples attitude to storage on their phones will have altered somewhat

Just for info about SD cards and why they're the work of el Diablo.

So they'll work with Windows they're generally formatted as FAT32. You can actually format them as ext4, NTFS etc. but most stuff just accepts that they will be FAT32.

FAT32 patents are owned by Microsoft and so any device with an SD card automatically incurs a $0.25 payment to Microsoft.

It's a nasty old filesystem with a maximum file size of 4GB and no modern features at all.

SD cards don't fully wear level, neither does FAT32, so SD cards become dead very quickly with any moderate use.

Even with reputable manufacturers, there's a massive difference in quality between batches, making the performance completely random.

Many SD cards are made from poor quality memory and will do random things like speed up, slow down, detach then reattach etc.

Because of all of the above, developers can't rely on anything when using them and have to be very careful when accessing them.

So they're pretty pants items to have inside a high-speed, linear, tightly controlled ecosystem of a phone, using high-tech good quality memory with optimised code and filesystems. If you could live without all that crap and save a bit of kernel memory by not having to load drivers for FAT32 wouldn't you?

Moving away from SD is totally the right decision in the same way that moving to MTP without having a working implementation was totally the wrong decision, but that's a rant for another day.

Just the SDK and Eclipse mate. It's dead easy. I think my app was about 10 lines of code in total. If you've done any Java, or equivalent stuff before you'll pick it right up. I can post my code if you like, I have no interest in keeping it secret as it was all just plagiarised from other places anyway.

I'm all for moving away from old tech. As useful as having my music on a swappable sd card was, I now stream it. I haven't had a dvd or cd drive in any of my computers in about 6 years. It's good to embrace the new and be happy to do away with the old.

Just the SDK and Eclipse mate. It's dead easy. I think my app was about 10 lines of code in total. If you've done any Java, or equivalent stuff before you'll pick it right up. I can post my code if you like, I have no interest in keeping it secret as it was all just plagiarised from other places anyway.

Cheers Darren,

Already got Eclipse and the SDK and have started to play around with it. Work have asked if I can "do" an app which I agreed to for a little bonus. They are all on iOS devices and didnt specify a platform so there is only one choice..................

Just for info about SD cards and why they're the work of el Diablo.

So they'll work with Windows they're generally formatted as FAT32. You can actually format them as ext4, NTFS etc. but most stuff just accepts that they will be FAT32.

FAT32 patents are owned by Microsoft and so any device with an SD card automatically incurs a $0.25 payment to Microsoft.

It's a nasty old filesystem with a maximum file size of 4GB and no modern features at all.

SD cards don't fully wear level, neither does FAT32, so SD cards become dead very quickly with any moderate use.

Even with reputable manufacturers, there's a massive difference in quality between batches, making the performance completely random.

Many SD cards are made from poor quality memory and will do random things like speed up, slow down, detach then reattach etc.

Because of all of the above, developers can't rely on anything when using them and have to be very careful when accessing them.

So they're pretty pants items to have inside a high-speed, linear, tightly controlled ecosystem of a phone, using high-tech good quality memory with optimised code and filesystems. If you could live without all that crap and save a bit of kernel memory by not having to load drivers for FAT32 wouldn't you?

Moving away from SD is totally the right decision in the same way that moving to MTP without having a working implementation was totally the wrong decision, but that's a rant for another day.

I have no idea about most of what you just said. My experience of MicroSD has been 100% positive. I am still using the free 8gb card that came with my Nokia 5800 Xpress music (c.2008) and I have had no issues. I have used the media (mostly MP3) stored there for 4 years now and have never had problems with the card unmounting.

Streaming music is all well and good but i take the tube so will keep my 32mb sd card for now

You can download music and store it while you're listening to it. My point is the need to store your library locally on your device is not required anymore due to excellent cloud storage like dropbox and free music matching like Google Play.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â