Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

So Apple have been granted a patent for navigating map software on touch screen using your finger. They applied for the patent just before Google Maps hit the 3GS.

So A. it wasnt even their map software the patent applied to

B. Some TomTom devices had exactly the same method of use way before Apple applied for the patent.

So presumably if they go after Android / Google they will also have to go after TomTom. The same TomTom who they are collaborating with on their own version of maps.

So Apple have been granted a patent for navigating map software on touch screen using your finger. They applied for the patent just before Google Maps hit the 3GS.

So A. it wasnt even their map software the patent applied to

B. Some TomTom devices had exactly the same method of use way before Apple applied for the patent.

So presumably if they go after Android / Google they will also have to go after TomTom. The same TomTom who they are collaborating with on their own version of maps.

Only in the US presumably since you would like to think a UK/European Court would have simply laughed them back to Cupertino with that one.

How the **** else do you navigate a touch screen device?

Pricks.

No, they would just declare a licensing agreement with Tom Tom.

Looking at some of the contract prices for the Nexus 4 are just bloody ridiculous. O2 on twitter were trying to justify the ridiculous prices and got flamed for it.

Giffgaff are great and have 2 handsets on them at the moment but when my O2 contract runs out I might go for this on Three

Essential Internet Sim 200 12 month Contract

200 minutes

5000 texts

500MB data

£6.90 a month

You can phone up and add all you can eat data for an extra £3.00 a month.

Best bit is if you go through Topcashback you can get back £42.92

So this brings your monthly bill down to £6.33 a month

Carriers need to be broken. If handset prices can be reduced the way Google are doing with the Nexus 4, then people won't need subsidised phones. So then people won't need stupid 24 month contracts. Further moving power away from carriers and thus meaning less lock in and more free open competition.

Just take supermarkets as an example. I am not locked in to always get my shopping from one company, I can freely decide who to shop with. We need that level of freedom in the mobile carrier world, especially as internet moves to mobile from fixed line.

I don't think so, I dont see it polling GPS all the time. I'd imagine it uses cellular towers for coarse location instead.

Oh, and FWIW, you can leave GPS on all the time and it wont rape your battery. It's only when other apps access GPS that it drains your battery.

TLR, assuming you've got Jellybean, just open google and it'll be there. Not in a browser, via the google app or widget.

Mine's already guessed I'm a villa fan. Not really sure how to be honest...

• Like 1

Still getting this "SD Card removed unexpectedly"..."Preparing SD Card" message(s). Seems to be more and more regular.

Again, doesn't affect my files or anything. If I'm playing music from my SD card when I see the message it keeps on playing.

Tried the card in my sister's phone for a couple of hours the other night and didn't get any message.

Seems to be a common problem but still can't find any solution. Too many people have it for them to all be dodgy SD cards.

Anyone got any ideas?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â