Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I see the Desire HD has got quadrant scores of a shade under 2000, will our galaxy s be able to to that with the froyo update?

The HD still lags behind with the andrena 205 GPU at 41mil triangles to the SGX540 at 90 mil.

Also I see all htc phones now use lcd screens due to a shortage of amoled. But since samsung developed and make the super amoled screens themselves galaxy s phone are still being churned out and sold by the bucket load.

With a lag-fix installed the SGS gets around 2300 and slightly higher with the OC kernels.

The pulse is a year old at this stage but was / is still a good phone. I read the the galaxy apollo is the best of the budget phones now available though have no idea how much you can get it for.

Cheers but I was looking more at £100 or less rather than £200 plus.

Samsung are the new sony ericsson. News now that Froyo delayed until the end of october. Looks like you were right dirk that they still had a lot to work on.

But this could just be in other countries.

We'll get CM6.1 first.

Well the pulse would be the phone to get so. It's got android 2.1, 3.5 inch capacitive screen and got very good reviews last year when it cost £180. The camera is rubbish though and it has an odd adapter for the headphones.

I'd download and install launcher pro and double twist straight away when you get it. The former is the best interface you can get while three latter is unrivaled music player that can even sync to itunes and has a very handy widget. Both available free from the market.

Now this is a potential game changer: Orange San Francisco.

orange_san_francisco.jpg

Talk Time: 4 hours

Standby Time: 9 days

Weight: 130g

Dimensions: 116 x 56.5 x 11.8

3.5 inch Capacitive OLED touchscreen, 480x800

600MHz CPU

Camera Features: 3 megapixel

Connectivity: WiFi / Bluetooth / USB / SatNav (GPS?)

Music: MP3 / FM Radio

Network Band: Tri band

Video: Messaging

Memory: 150 MB internal / Up to 32gb Micro SD Card

Email: POP3 / IMAP4

Data Speed: 3G +

Operating System: Android

Version: Eclair v2.1

Other: Orange WiFi, Your Orange

Applications and Features: Orange Maps, Orange Messenger by Windows Live, Orange App Store, Email, Orange Wednesdays

Not bad specs at all. And its £99 on PAYG (Plus £10 top up)

amazing price for the spec.

Reviews and comments

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2010/09/21/orange-uk-unveils-android-2-1-san-francisco-smartphone-video/

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/318410/i-just-picked-up-my-san-francisco-findings-as-i-go-in-here/

Already rooted. Should be out by Xmas.

Cheers for this thread.

I've been mulling over the options of another phone to replace the lg 540 that I had pickpocketed, and saw the mention of the San Francisco. Seemed to have everyting I need, a good screen, (much better than pulse, wildfire, and even the lg) and a better capacitive input, and also carrying a newer os in 2.1 - so thought, what the hell, for £100, why not.

It's charging at the moment! I'll let you know as I use it.

Initial thoughts are - Ok, it feels a bit plasticcy, and I don't expect the camera to be great, but thats what you get for £100. The screen does look great for such a cheap phone.....

I'll keep you updated. Only downer is it's locked to Orange, and I don't think you can unlock for 3m minimum, but I'll just run it alongside my old nokia 3300 for a bit, as I was shocked at Orange call/datacharges, you get a measly 100mb data for £10 topup, where as my virgin gives me 1g for £5 !

Obviously, if it can be unlocked sooner, and I'm sure a solution will be available soon, then thats the way to go.

I would imagine it has been rooted (and therefore unlocked) already. It's just a case of finding the right part of the internet where people are showing you how to do it. I'm sure one of the more tech savvy people who post in this thread can come up with a link or two.

The phone has been rooted already, by the looks of it, but that simply asi understand it, grants you the old "unix" system manager privileges to alter the phone setting, what loads up, adding and deleting programs, (apps in new speak?) and access to the hardware via whatever software you then add in.

In terms of phone network however, the phone doesn't appear to have been "unlocked" by anyone. No one has any codes avalable.

Which as I have now had more issues with Orange in 2 hours about their incompetence and poor customer service than with Virgin in 8 years, reminding me why I ditched Orange all that time ago, grieves me deeply.

Orange really are piss poor arn't they.

I bought the phone, with a £10 top up. I even got a text on my phone to thank me for it. But I's not been credited, and as I have no credit on the phone, I can't even ring their customer servies to ask them why they haven't credited me with the £10 that they acknowlege by text I should have!!!

They seriously are awful.

8 years ago, on contract, I changed my DD date - moved it forwards, when my own pay date changed. Despite the DD, they failed to collect for the period between the old DD date (say the 6th of the month) and the new DD date (18th) and so failed to collect from me, 12 days of line rental. So for that, one day, they just barred all outgoing calls, and carried on taking the Direct Debits, for a phone that was rendered virtually unuseable.

Everything to do with Orange is so poor, I am thinking of returning admittedly a good phone, as I can't wait 3 months to get it unlocked if they're going to continue to be such a shambles. And their tariffs are pretty awful anyway. Big warning to anyone buying a payg on Orange - you get on Dolphin, 100mb pm, which for a droid phone is not nearly enough......

I had a mass storage mounting problem with my galaxy s this morning. I plugged it into my nc10 running xp and normally auto run would bring up the what action to take window for both sd cards. But nothing happens, two drives appear in my computer but I get an error if I try to open them. Bit of an odd error as this was working last week.

Launcher Pro problem maybe? Might go back to touch wiz then mount.

Update - phone purchased sat eve. As of this am when left for work, those useless clearings in the woods at Orange have neither called me back to confirm whats going on with my various complaints (this is the 3rd c/b promise they have broken, or in other words, every single one). I have spent over £20 trying to get hold of anyone intelligent at their customer services, during which I have had extended periods of up to 20m on hold at 25p ppm, deliberately cut off without warning twice requiring redailing, and generally spent best part of 2 hours on and off being lied to, culminating with being told that the complaints dept are not customer facing and I'd need to write in to complain.

WRITE IN? TO A PHONE COMPANY???

Basically, good phone, but Orange are so utterly useless (and its a problem many of this phone purchaserzs are getting on various forums) that I've demanded either they unlock it for a fee which I will pay, but require same immediately and not the 3m they cite on their website - or the phone gets returned and I want a full refund + £50 for my expenses and time.

Don't use Orange. More issues in 24h than Virgin have given me in 8 years.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â