Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

They sell in astronomically more S phones than Nexus ones. There is a reason.

It's because they are backed by multi million pound marketing campaigns and the Nexus phones are not. The Nexus phone isnt designed to be a market leader in terms of sales, it's designed to act as a high bar of quality of other Android handsets to meet. I'm a generation behind in hardware, but there is no way I'd swap my Nexus S for a S2.

Samsung make both phones so the analogy with the iphone is a wrong one.

Aside from the quicker updates can you list what is superior on stock ics to touchwiz please? I explained what I like and use that Samsung has added. I'd like to know what about the user experience on stock am I not getting.

Samsung make both phones so the analogy with the iphone is a wrong one.

Aside from the quicker updates can you list what is superior on stock ics to touchwiz please? I explained what I like and use that Samsung has added. I'd like to know what about the user experience on stock am I not getting.

Well with the 12 or so hours I have had the phone I would say that Google Now is fantastic. You cannot (at this point) add this to your S3 but alot of the Touchwiz apps have similar or equivalents in the Play Store, those I want I can add without having all the other crap which goes with it.

How long will you keep your S3, 12 months and change up for the S4. How long do you wait for Jellybean 2 months, maybe 3 - thats between 1/6th and upto 1/4 of the total time you own the handset it will not be on the latest OS with the improvements that will bring.

As I said, I'll do a side by side comparison later. I have absolutely no reason to be biased as I own both, and right now I have the choice between either. The wife was perfectly happy with the Nexus S, now she doesn't care what she has as long as it's better. The fact there are decently stable JB ROMs out for the S3 makes it tempting, but it'd be like the reason I moved away from CyanogenMod, there'd always be some little bug or something that didn't work right which would piss me off.

I absolutely detest running Samsung roms on my S2. Especially their Mail/calendar/contact apps. Buggy pieces of shit. Stock android of those are flawless.

That said, the best GB rom I used for it was a Nexus like rom with the Samsung underpinnings. That was fantastic. All the stock apps but without Cyanogenmod bugs (which are always a bother)

That said, the best GB rom I used for it was a Nexus like rom with the Samsung underpinnings. That was fantastic. All the stock apps but without Cyanogenmod bugs (which are always a bother)

I found AOKP on the Galaxy Nexus absolutely flawless for a long time. CyanogenMod never really sorted annoying little bugs out but AOKP was excellent. I'm waiting for a stable release before moving from stock JellyBean.

I found AOKP on the Galaxy Nexus absolutely flawless for a long time. CyanogenMod never really sorted annoying little bugs out but AOKP was excellent. I'm waiting for a stable release before moving from stock JellyBean.

Yeah, I use AOKP ICS on my galaxy tab 10.1 It's really good. Gave the tab a new life from the rather sluggish Honeycomb

Mykeyb there is plenty the S3 has that you can't get from the play store. Smart Stay for example, plus the power saving that lowers the clock speed of the processor. These are what is there now, but Samsung is improving with every iteration of touchwiz. Plus with Google now letting preferred partners 3 months early access to new versions of android those wait times will be less than the current 3 months.

The future for skins is very bright. Thanks for the replies guys. Too much choice these days on android isn't there?

If my next phone is an Android phone, I'll probably move away from Samsung to a Nexus device. As much as I like the S2, the amount of rubbish on it is astounding and Samsung's skin has a very tangible feeling of being a confounding layer of complexity/rubbish over the core of a good system. I'm not really interested in installing roms so I'm somewhat stuck with what it came with and I always feel like I'd be happier if it was stock. It's quite a hard... feeling... to put across, but it constantly nags at me.

Kies is also a travesty. It seems to just get worse as time goes on - it's not like I've used it much, or added much to the phone via Kies, but it becomes a bloated, slow, broken mess it seems.

I think I will definitely move to a Nexus device when the time comes.

Chindie I can only tell you the S3 is so much better than the S2 in every respect. Touchwiz is very very polished now. Also why not root and remove apps you don't like? Rooting is a cinch.

Also why do you keep talking about kies? Just ota, this talk of kies is always baffling to me. Never used it on S2, ota is all my updates or odin.

Also darren are you gonna take your wife's 50gb dropbox ?

Also I must say if the nexus phones led the S phones in tech rather than following them, they'd be more desirable.

But at the end of the day you can't put it down to specs and features. If so I wouldn't be leaving android for windows in a few months.

Also why do you keep talking about kies? Just ota, this talk of kies is always baffling to me. Never used it on S2, ota is all my updates or odin.

You say sensible stuff like this.

But at the end of the day you can't put it down to specs and features. If so I wouldn't be leaving android for windows in a few months.

And then spoil it by talking about vapourware as if you believe in marketing,

Marketing no, I'm just interested in giving windows a whirl as I've always been a fan of nokia hardware. Windows phone has been given good reviews. I'm not selling my S3, but I am buying nokias top end windows phone this Christmas. It has to be tried out. Nothing to do with marketing, lots to do with brand loyalty. I'm a big fan of nokia and Microsoft.

I'll probably be back on my S3 by February.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â