Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

3 things mainly:

1. Butter - it's not just the Tegra 3 which makes the Nexus 7 ultra-silky, it's the triple-buffering and higher-priority UI.

2. Voice actions - You mean you haven't tried these yet?

3. Now.

Of course there's loads of code changing underneath to support new APIs etc. but those are the main 3. Here are more: http://bit.ly/OAgNCk

Multi line notifications, butter, dynamic app and icon placement. I've got Google music now, but that might have been on ics too.This was largely a under the hood update, hence the minor number increase. My xoom feels a lot slicker than under honeycomb.

Ok played around voice actions for the past 15 mins. It is worse than S voice which is as good as useless. Utterly pointless voice actions if they never work. Only setting the alarm managed to be successful. Totally useless like S voice.

I mean it can do absolutely nothing of use. So it's no use. Such a shame.

It might be your Oirish accent, because the voice feature works almost perfectly for me. Rather brilliantly it completely ignores my wife and daughter. :lol:

I love the Google Now card for my commute to work too. It's clearly not magical because I know how they do it, but it feels magical. Stuff like that is definitely the future of smartphones.

Yes could be accent, but I've a fairly flat accent so it should understand well spoken English. But at this stage it works less than s voice for me. I assume it's made for American accents first then Engerlish ones. But the fact is it's still useless. Like other features though voice activation is the future if/when they get it right.

I presume it is taking samples every time somebody uses it as it is connected to the internet, which means it should improve over time. Quite what that time scale is I dont know, but I have found the voice recognition to be excellent.

I may persist to try it out but it's failed at everything bar setting an alarm.

Mykeyb the Galaxy tab 10.1 has the ics update available now in UK

Hi Conor, yep saw that but I think mine is a US refurb and as of yet its not finding the update. May try Kies later.

The wife's (and my old) Nexus S took a tumble:

IMG_20120731_234225.jpg

She was contract free on GiffGaff, so thought I'd use a contract to get her a nice phone. Nowhere is doing deals on the Galaxy Nexus at the moment and they're still selling for silly money unconnected. So I got the most financially attractive offer which is a Pebble Blue S3 from Carphone Warehouse on T-Mobile for £26/month with reasonable minutes/texts/data.

Been playing with it all day. It's nice but definitely not as good as the Nexus. Touchwiz isn't very nice, the phone feels a little laggy compared to the GN but that may be Touchwiz, and it just isn't as well presented with the colourful larger icons, typeface etc.

I've got the choice of either at the moment, the wife doesn't care which one she has. I'll stick with the GN, JellyBean stock is nicer than Samsung's build of ICS, there isn't much in the screen and the quad vs dual-core makes no discernible difference. The camera may be a bit better on the S3 but I'm fine with the photos taken with the GN.

It's almost got to the stage where we're talking about cars :D

To me stock 4.1 is so bland it's painful to look at. Like booting up my Nexus 7 for the first time, and playing round with it for the first 15 mins was a total confirmation to me that skins from Samsung and HTC are the right thing for OEMs to do. The notification bar on stock alone makes Touchwiz completely superior, it's ghastly on stock. Then we have all the added goodies that samsung add. It's like they get stock and find the faults and add the sumptious extras.

I really am dumfounded when people go on about stock so much. But look, the confirmation is with the reviews, the S series phones have been considered better than the newer Nexus ones for the past 2 years. They sell in astronomically more S phones than Nexus ones. There is a reason.

If you tried to take my S3 and give me a Galaxy Nexus one of us would die. For the magical fingerprint removing coating alone the S3 wipes the floor with last gen phones. I've confirmed my belief that while stock may get updates a bit quicker than skinned, stock as an experience is miles behind good skins so what your essentially getting is a new BMW sooner than others get a new M5.

The future for Touchwiz skin is so exciting, the brand loyalty is dangerously strong now. I'd have to give up the best hardware and all the lovely touchwiz things I love to move phones. I am with Nokia & Windows 8 but that may be a confirmation of why Samsung is mobile king these days.

darren, from the JellyBean is bigger upgrade than ICS comment, to the S3 is laggy. I'm coming to believe you work for google :lol: never been two bigger lies posted on this thread. S3 is laggy hahaha, jokeshop comment.

No worries mate. That's your opinion, I have mine. How long have you owned both phones?

I could go into the merits of vsync, the API changes underneath, the amount of code changed etc to show how JB is the biggest upgrade of Android yet, and how the S3 with ICS is always going to feel laggy compared to a GN with JB, but I'd be wasting my time wouldn't I?

Once the S3 gets JB and assuming Samsung don't bork it up, I have no doubt it will feel just as good if not slightly better due to the better SoC of the S3.

I'm genuinely baffled by the stock love. I accept you do prefer stock but can't fathom why. Strange innit?

I gave a run down for mykeyb a few pages back of what touchwiz additions I use. I'd love for you to help me understand why you prefer older hardware and inferior software to the cutting edge.

But I suppose it's like the Windows Linux debate too. If you work with computers you prefer Linux, it's the same with stock android. In this thread at least.

2 things to do on S3 right now. Turn off S Voice in the settings in the app, it causes lag with the home button and go into display settings and turn screen to vibrant setting. It's very unsaturated in default, the looks like an lcd.

Well I got a Galaxy Nexus of ebay for just under £230.00 and havent really touched it until last night as I was waiting for some screen protection to come.

Its a very different OS from the S2 and may take a couple of days to adjust to. First impressions are that I like it. Google Now has the ability to be something which is just brilliant.

Took me a while to work out how to put shortcuts onto the screen but its easy when you know how.

Conor Im not sure that there is a right and wrong answer for the the skinned v stock question. You prefer skinned, Darren prefers stock. I've not used the Nexus long enough to form an opinion yet, I juts got pissed of waiting for Samsung to decide they were going to bring OS Upgrades out to their customers, the timescale is just ridiculous. If and when Google bring out a 10 inch tablet my Tab will be gone too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â