Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Well the big thing for me is the music/video management. I'm not really getting on with it on the S3.

However, I haven't used it a massive amount (I'm wating for my sd card before I put loads of music and vids on) but what I have used I'm not a huge fan of. Hopefully this will come with time and it's more unfamiliarity than anything. but yeah, as it stands I much preferred the way my iPhone handled the media, even if you did have to go through iTunes for everything. And i use my phone for music a lot, so this is a big thing for me.

That being said it's worthy sacrifice as it's now much easier to get films onto my phone than it was with the iPhone so it balances out I guess.

To be honest, now that I think about it, any other negatives off the top of my head are trivial things, that again is probably down to unfamiliarity more than anything.

Playing around with my Nexus 7 right. Will give my initial thoughts now.

First impressions are it feels like a premium device and at max brightness the screen is very decent indeed. I must say Vanilla android is awful bland and the default keyboard sucks. So got SwiftKey and will try get some custom stuff on here liven it up. I already miss the toggles in the notification bar and miss not having hepatic feedback given the tablet is locked to portrait mode.

But little gripes aside this already feels like a bargain. Browsing slick and there is no lag at all, and just watched some video there which looked very good for how much this cost. Oh and forgot to say I love the size, it's perfect and the weight is good too.

Gonna go download some more apps to customise this.

How do I get my free Google play store credit?

Also this multitasking button is doing my head in, I keep hitting it by accident while typing.

Also is there no pinch to preview home screens?

It's just that there are some Apple fans who know next to nothing of Android and assume the iPhone is the best at everything by default. So such demonstrations of Android are educational. To let them know the same experience can be had on another platform.

It's the marketing. Apple products are advertised as the only device you can do things you don't need to do on, so the fanboys who lap up the marketing will buy the product every time. They all claim to have the market leading product, yet barely any Apple fanboy will know anything about the competition. I suspect you could stick an Apple logo on an Austin Allegro, along with a price tag of £25,000 and you would sell them in unprecedented quantities.

It reminds me of a video Darren posted in here when iOS 5 came out. The six minute demonstration of all the great things the new OS could do with subtitles indicating on which release of Android that feature first appeared...

I think I need to register a UK card on Google wallet to get the 15 pound. I have a UK card but got it registered to my address in Dublin so it won't consider the card a UK one. I must switch to my current address.

Popped into a well known phone vendor yesterday.... lets call them Carephone Whorehouse.

Had a good play with an S3, the One X and the Nexus.

Will be getting me a One X. **** the crap battery life. I bloody loved it.

Aye, it is a nice looking phone and you're used to HTC Sense. But try out the one s too before you make your mind up. It's got better batterylife than the one X at the cost of some screen real estate

Popped into a well known phone vendor yesterday.... lets call them Carephone Whorehouse.

Had a good play with an S3, the One X and the Nexus.

Will be getting me a One X. **** the crap battery life. I bloody loved it.

Think the bad battery life gets over-stated on here.

I have a One X and the battery lasts a day. Same as my S2.

That's with wifi and mobile data on all day.

But obviously with all things, it depends how much you use it. I don't play games, but listen to a lot of music on it.

It's a cracking phone and I love it. Feels so much better than the Samsungs. The build quality is much much better.

^^ To be honest I have a charge plumbed into my desk at work so if I need to top it up I can. Pretty much what I do now with my Desire. I don't really stream video on it, just web browse/ play music and games so I'm hopefully battery shouldn't be too bad.

Looked at the One S but it was next to the X so it lost immediately. If you're going to have one, have a big'un. It felt lovely in the hand and I can get around it without issue. It will be mine. Oh yes. It shall be mine.

Well been a day with the nexus 7 and it's really impressed me. What a great little device it is. The screen is nice enough to read magazines, it's very good for watching video. The battery life is very impressive and the way it's setup for use mainly in portrait mode means it's much easier than any other touchscreen device for typing imo. Just using thumbs on a very nice SwiftKey 3 tablet keyboard. It's very slick under finger, very responsive and browsing with chrome is very nice indeed.

I think Asus and Google have done an excellent job here and I can see longevity in this device like there was with my NC10 netbook back 4 years ago. For the price it's excellent value and I can understand why they are selling so well.

That said the multitasking button is still doing my head in. Why is it positioned right below the space bar and full stop button? It's there to annoy and it's a fairly useless button too. Hope there is a way to disable it.

4.1.1 installing itself on my Xoom. I flashed it to stock US and just went through automatic updates. Much easier than I thought it would be. I'm now jelly bean on two tablets.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â