Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

You can hide the apps in the drawer so you can't see them. Most of them are doing nothing until you launch them. S voice is different. Go into it and hit the menu key, and then turn off the launch s voice and wake up command. Then long press home button and swipe s voice off the screen and never go near it again.

Incidentally, sorry to go back a bit, but I'm pretty sure doing this has improved my battery life significantly.

I've definitely noticed an improvement in the past few days and I can't think of anything else major that I've changed apart from this.

I liked the stock player on the S2, but am not feeling it on the S3 as it doesn't auto pause where I'm at on a track when I unplug the headphones. I listen to 2 hour dj sets so my position in a track is important.

Not that it'll make any difference as I'd imagine you'll still buy another music player (as will I).

But my stock music player on the S3 does autopause when I unplug the headphones. Maybe it's a setting you've deselected by accident?

Yeah but the auto pause only lasts for an hour and then it stops the auto pause. They must've put that in thinking nobody would care after an hour to go to where they were in a track given most tracks are 4/5 mins long.

You can hide the apps in the drawer so you can't see them. Most of them are doing nothing until you launch them. S voice is different. Go into it and hit the menu key, and then turn off the launch s voice and wake up command. Then long press home button and swipe s voice off the screen and never go near it again.

Incidentally, sorry to go back a bit, but I'm pretty sure doing this has improved my battery life significantly.

I've definitely noticed an improvement in the past few days and I can't think of anything else major that I've changed apart from this.

I found the best result from the stock experience is turning on limit CPU in the power saving options. The processor is a beast as it is, even limited it works nippy. I throw this setting on when I know I'm headed out that night, or headed somewhere after work.

Still the best power saving remains 3G off, tasker to turn it back on every 20 mins to check emails etc.. then off again saves batterylife more than anything.

I liked the stock player on the S2, but am not feeling it on the S3 as it doesn't auto pause where I'm at on a track when I unplug the headphones. I listen to 2 hour dj sets so my position in a track is important.

Not that it'll make any difference as I'd imagine you'll still buy another music player (as will I).

But my stock music player on the S3 does autopause when I unplug the headphones. Maybe it's a setting you've deselected by accident?

Yeah but the auto pause only lasts for an hour and then it stops the auto pause. They must've put that in thinking nobody would care after an hour to go to where they were in a track given most tracks are 4/5 mins long.

Ah, gotcha.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts so yes, that will end up annoying me too

7nEQi.png

Finally! Had to force the update as my phone wasnt seeing it every time I checked (once or twice a day all weekend) but I found a neat tip on the web.

If you are still waiting on Nexus S Jelly Bean then you should be able to force it to update by doing this:

Settings > manage applications > all apps (its on the far right) > Google Services Framework > Clear data.

This will make your phone think it is 1970 and then when you check for an update it should find Jelly Bean, If it doesnt, repeat the process but reboot your phone between clearing data and checking for updates. That's what worked for me.

Team Nexus! dmnLN.png

Google play movies and books just updated. Can rent movies and buy books now via play store. Timing was good given the release of the nexus 7.

May use the free Google play credit to buy a few books

I don't have one yet, they're currently sold out in London. But darren and limpid have one. I'll be picking one up when it's back in stock if all the tourists don't buy them all during the Olympics. Hah

The tech blogs are reporting that Google are "surprised" by how popular the Nexus 7 has been. I dont get that at all, people have been crying out for a decent alternative to the iPad for two **** years!

But a quality 7 inch for a bargain price in hindsight seems a very desirable piece of tech. But android tablets have not sold in any quantity until now.

The problem was Samsungs original Tab which was a steaming pile of crap and ran on android 2.3. the Kindle got the ball rolling but is only a portal to Amazon and if you dont buy digital content from Amazon then it's of little use.

Google just made a better version of the Kindle Fire and hasn't made a real iPad rival in my opinion. But the 7 inch tablet has always been the size desirable to me. I prefer my ultrabook to a 10 inch tab as anywhere I'd bring a 10 inch tab I'd rather bring my ultrabook. But the Nexus 7 I'd bring with me on the tube or on a weekend back to Dublin etc.. it's too convenient a device.

I think Apple has missed out on 2 things, bigger phone screens and smaller tablets. I'd imagine by the iPad 5 or 6 Apple will possibly play 2nd fiddle to Android like they do in the Smartphone market. When the iPhone 3GS was around it was king but come the 4S it's firmly put in its place by Android. Possibly the Nexus 7 could lead the way to a successful Nexus 10 next summer and the turning of the tablet tide.

No wonder Apple are desperate to get absurd 2.5bln from Samsung in damages, they've run out of things to "innovate". They've made their company on the back of touchscreens, they won't have that stroke of innovation ever again. You'd much rather be Samsung in 5 year churning out pretty much all the hardware people buy than Apple losing market share.

Nobody would've ever imagined Nokia would be a spent force in the mobile phone market a mere 5 years ago such was their dominance, yet look at the company now. You could say the same about Apple and it's touch screen items. Their company doesn't have the long term ability to maintain these revenues. Microsoft for example are nearly embedded in the business software world and it would be very hard to imagine them ever crumbling like a Nokia.

Apple will peak soon, then decline. That's why they are doing all this paten wars, they desperatly need to win and get a steady stream of patent revenue to keep the company going in the future.

Personally I think Apple will continue to grow. I think the success of iOS will see more people move towards Mac OS and away from Windows. Hopefully we will see a reform of US patent law because at the moment it is **** ridiculous with what is going on, people complain that US software patent law is all kinds of broken but I am sure I saw that Apple had a patent on a rectangle for their tablets.

Nokia on the other hand just didnt embrace a decent operating system quickly enough. They should have probably jumped into bed with Android in 2009 or 2010 but they persisted with Symbian (which is shit, despite what my wife thinks) and the bottom just fell out for them. Maybe they could have saved themselves if they had bothered to make decent Facebook and Twitter apps because the problem certainly isnt with their hardware. They still make some of the best (if not the best) hardware at the high end, mid range and bargain sections of the market. It's just that those phones dont do what people want them to do. Windows Phone might be too little too late for them. I hope not because having them around is good for the industry. I cant see Apple making the same mistakes as Nokia though.

Apple will still be around and a big player but the days of mega profits and absurd share price will go, they will have to get competitive on price and down in the mud with everyone else as Microsoft and Google go into hardware.

Nokia had no reason to not test out an android phone, Samsung were their Symbian partner yet they went with Android, windows and bada. No harm is scattergun as one of them will stick.

What is Nokias problem with Android?

So how is the Nexus 7

Excellent. The hardware specs with JellyBean mean it's always gonna be smooth and powerful but it's the format and size which make it excellent. I never took my Xoom out as it was big and gangly (as are iPads) so you end up trying to use it as a replacement laptop at home, which they aren't as good at. The Nexus 7 is generally always portrait mode so it feels more like a Kindle. Then with the great resolution, thinness, lightness and speedy feel, you just get a really nice experience.

I took it with me for a pub meal last night as it fits into my pocket. I would never have done that with the Xoom and I doubt many people would want to do it with an iPad. Also as it's Corning glass (as opposed to Samsung non-descript 'scratch-resistant' glass which scratches as easily as a wax crayon), you feel a bit more confident about taking it out and about in the same way as you would a Kindle.

For the price, everyone thinking about getting one should get one. Really can't fault it.

What is Nokias problem with Android?

Well at the moment it's because of Microsoft obviously.

Before the MS takeover, it was a multitude of reasons, but I think the main one was pride.

They had Symbian, had just bought Trolltech for QT and were seeding Maemo and Meego. From their point of view, Maemo and Meego were very similar to Android in that they were ARM based distros of Linux, so they didn't see any reason that Android would grow faster than those.

The iPhone started to become very big and Google launched with the G1. Nokia saw the Iceberg but thought it was miles away. As I've always said, the warnings were there, and had they muscled in on Android at the beginning it could have been very different.

Android being Open-Source was a bit of a risk for Google as it turns out. It was a bit like 0's and X's, where Google left a winning row open but Nokia didn't spot it. The power of OSS means Android was always going to grow and grow, but there was never any guarantee that Google would remain at the helm.

I really liked Nokia and it's such a shame what's happened to them. I refer to my post from 2 years ago ;)

My thoughts on this:

I said about 6 months ago that if Nokia didn't either just try to get themselves with as much of a say as possible in Android or make a really good go of Meego that they're dead and buried. They've kept with trying to flog the dead horse that is Symbian and not really made any great strides with Meego so they've completely lost the smartphone market.

I understand Nokia are still massive globally but the momentum away from them is even bigger. People get Nokia phones because they're cheap and simple or because that's what they know. Unfortunately for them, what people know is now how an iPhone or Android phone works, the slick touchscreen interface with popular viral apps. The only thing Nokia will have to rely on is their patents which should at least keep them afloat for years to come and allow them to survive to be able to innovate the next major thing in mobile, if they are able to.

RIM is a slightly different one. They have the corporate mobile exchange market all sewn up at the moment. But they've reason to be worried about cloud mail. Corporate gmail is being used more and more so their usp of push mail with native exchange support is not the draw it used to be. Once the techies start showing off their next-gen smartphones to the execs with activesync / cloud mail and far better mail client / calendar / contacts sharing and sync etc. RIM will really have a job on their hands. Added to this the fact that Blackberry's really are incredibly crap means there's only one thing RIM can do now - use Android and put their exchange support on top. They would get all the stuff Android provides such as tethering, best web browsing experience, apps, hardware drivers plus their proprietary stuff and corporate image. The result would be a mobile exec's wet dream and mean they wouldn't have to carry the 2 phones anymore - the BB for work email and the smartphone as the useful, nice to use phone. If they don't do it now they'll fade into obscurity within 18 months and have nothing to fall back on like Nokia do. If they take it on right now and release a really good Android based corporate BB within 6 months they'll save it and remain relevant.

Sod me, I really did call it ;)

So how is the Nexus 7

Excellent. The hardware specs with JellyBean mean it's always gonna be smooth and powerful but it's the format and size which make it excellent. I never took my Xoom out as it was big and gangly (as are iPads) so you end up trying to use it as a replacement laptop at home, which they aren't as good at. The Nexus 7 is generally always portrait mode so it feels more like a Kindle. Then with the great resolution, thinness, lightness and speedy feel, you just get a really nice experience.

I took it with me for a pub meal last night as it fits into my pocket. I would never have done that with the Xoom and I doubt many people would want to do it with an iPad. Also as it's Corning glass (as opposed to Samsung non-descript 'scratch-resistant' glass which scratches as easily as a wax crayon), you feel a bit more confident about taking it out and about in the same way as you would a Kindle.

For the price, everyone thinking about getting one should get one. Really can't fault it.

I have yet to find a bad review of it which is good.

For me 7 inch screen is just a tad too small, found that out when I briefly had the Original Samsung Tab and my Daughters Ainol Elf II has confirmed that.

Hopefully Google can get a couple of larger offerings in to the market place which would definitely be of interest to me.

I am still toying with selling my S2 and going for The Galaxy Nexus as there are some really interesting additions in Jellybean which I would love to try out.

I do think that in terms of hardware development we might have reached a bit of a plateau in terms of what can be improved and would be obvious to the end user. I think software may well be the area that sees the most improvement over the next 12 months.

Mykey hold out for the new nexus phone, the galaxy nexus came out last year and it's almost August now. The next nexus will probably still be a modified S3 so you get your pure Google experience with this utterly stunning handset.

You say that but Im not sure that spec wise it will offer enough to justify the £250 to £300 extra it will cost.

CM has released the first preview of the Jellybean rom for the S2. Hopefully not too long before it's usable as a daily driver

XDA

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â