Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

The only Google Experience device I own still has Honeycomb. I wish I was as certain as you that Google will continue to prioritise their experience devices, but my own experience doesn't bear that out.

Ordered the S3.

O2 wouldn't budge. Claimed they can't move on the price. best deal they could offer was £41 a month and £99 for the handset, which is outrageous when you consider I got it for £26 a month and a free handset from T Mobile

Didn't go Giff Gaff in the end. It wouldn't have worked out cheaper for me month by month if I had. Ok I might regret it next year when another new phone comes out that I like and I'm tied into this contract, but I'll have to just grin and bear it.

The only Google Experience device I own still has Honeycomb. I wish I was as certain as you that Google will continue to prioritise their experience devices, but my own experience doesn't bear that out.

I agree but as per g+, the Xoom is a bit of an anomaly in that it was never a nexus device, only a Google Experience Device in the US.

Ordered the S3.

O2 wouldn't budge. Claimed they can't move on the price. best deal they could offer was £41 a month and £99 for the handset, which is outrageous when you consider I got it for £26 a month and a free handset from T Mobile

Didn't go Giff Gaff in the end. It wouldn't have worked out cheaper for me month by month if I had. Ok I might regret it next year when another new phone comes out that I like and I'm tied into this contract, but I'll have to just grin and bear it.

O2 are ridiculous. They stopped doing 12 month upgrade for business customers and when I phoned they said I could upgrade to a new 24 month contract if I paid £220.00 + VAT to but up the existing contract and then paid them £180.00 + VAT for the new S3 and then the new contact would cost me an additional £5.00+VAT per month - making a grand total of £624.00.

The stupid thing is you can buy a PAYG S3 for £399.00 so I could just buy one and run my contract down and then look at either a GiffGaff £10.00 a month goody bag or if I wnated to really stuff O2 I could go to Ovivo Mobile where you pay £5.00 to join and get something like 200 mins, 200 texts and 1 Gig of data a month at absolutely no cost at all.

Levi, yep ;)

Been using JellyBean for a couple of weeks now. Here are my impressions.

1. Voice Search. As the Galaxy Nexus system drop which came from Google I/O is US only, you need to have everything on your device set to US for all of the voice actions to work. The ones that do work with UK work really well, but at the moment it's quite limited. In mid-July (week or so) when the Nexus 7 is released, the UK support will be in there. The Galaxy Nexus should get the official OTA then anyway, so I'll be able to tell then.

2. Butter. I've never actually found much in the way of poor responsiveness anyway. I prefer not to set live wallpapers and I don't use a lot of widgets so it's never been an issue for me. The iOS smoothness has never actually felt that smooth to me, and something like the iPad has always felt a little stuttery compared to my phones. That said, this is perfectly smooth all the time. Perfectly smooth and a joy to use.

3. Now. Saved the best till last. Wow. Last night it was suggesting some directions to Legoland Windsor. 'Why?' I thought:

Screenshot_2012-07-08-22-40-54.png

Then it dawned. I'd been looking at the Lego web site on the device browser earlier:

Screenshot_2012-07-08-22-41-12.png

A few minutes ago it suggested directions to Birmingham. It was because a few minutes previous I'd been looking at Brum city centre on my desktop browser. Amazing stuff. It's also told me what time I need to leave somewhere to get to an appointment on time that was in my calendar, taking traffic into consideration.

It seems they've looked at Siri and decided that it actually performs 2 separate functions, the personal assistant and the voice actions. They've sought to do both better. The Now stuff is like an intelligent virtual assistant that knows about stuff before you do, and the voice actions has shown to work better than Siri in general.

Pretty fantastic stuff so far.

Ordered the S3.

O2 are ridiculous. They stopped doing 12 month upgrade for business customers and when I phoned they said I could upgrade to a new 24 month contract if I paid £220.00 + VAT to but up the existing contract and then paid them £180.00 + VAT for the new S3 and then the new contact would cost me an additional £5.00+VAT per month - making a grand total of £624.00.

The stupid thing is you can buy a PAYG S3 for £399.00 so I could just buy one and run my contract down and then look at either a GiffGaff £10.00 a month goody bag or if I wnated to really stuff O2 I could go to Ovivo Mobile where you pay £5.00 to join and get something like 200 mins, 200 texts and 1 Gig of data a month at absolutely no cost at all.

I was very surprised they didn't move at all on the price.

I even hinted to her that if they moved a bit I might consider staying (as I've never had a problem with O2 in 4 years of being with them) but nothing.

The only thing she did was try to sell me a HTC, but again not on a great tariff.

She just seemed to fully accept that they wouldn't move their price and that I was off. Even started suggesting where I should get my new phone from to get the best deal. Weird.

Yeah but just because you'be been looking at Lego, does that really mean you want your phone to waste battery finding out how to get to Winsor. That's not useful in my opinion.

I do very much like the Siri idea of being able to tell you phone to set appointments, reminders and events etc. Currently I don't use my phone for so much of that because I'm not great at typing on a touchscreen so try to avoid it (but recently downloaded swiftkey and find it to be very good).

And Google Chorme browser on Android is just incredible.

Right chaps.

Apparently my phone is being delivered today, so I should have my hands on it tonight.

As I'm an Android n00b, what are the first thigns I should do?

Software to install, apps to download, settings to change etc?

Nice one :thumb:

Also, does anyone have experience of an App that easily synchs my old iPhone 4 data (contacts, calendars, emssages etc) with my Galaxy S3.

I've found a couple of different options but if anyone has used one before I'd be interested to know of any particularly good ones.

alarmdroid

amazon kindle

beutiful widgets

camscanner

chrome

google currents

google drive

dropbox

go launcher

go sms

goggles

google+

hullomail

ocado

train times uk

wavesecure

I absolutely love photo fx live wallpaper. I use my phone for most of my photography these days as it's a great 'snapper' (the S3 is even better) and it's really nice seeing al my photos every day.

I would recommend watching a few youtube videos too (I watched the android vs apple video darren put up and quite enjoyed it to see how other people interact with android features). I think to get the most out of android you need some tech savvy and an idea of what you want out of your phone, it took me a few months to figure it out but I'd never owned a smartphone before getting the S2.

Congratulations on your new phone :) just a few things:

Check your firmware version when you receive it. (Settings > About Phone), the version should be something like XXBLFB. If it's different, Google it and see who made the firmware. I'm not sure if T-Mobile even bother any more but there's always the chance it will be an operator branded and restricted version with much shitness. If it's a generic firmware on there then enjoy your phone.

If it's not and you would like to get it to be a retail phone, you'll need to become friends with XDA-Developers and Odin. You use Odin to flash Samsung firmware from a Windows PC, or a community tool called Heimdall on a Mac/Linux.

Hopefully you won't have to mess like that, and I agree, you shouldn't have to. That's the difference between Samsung branded phones and Nexii though. Not trying to make a point, just providing the info if you need it. Just remember that the things you'll find which don't work quite right, or are a bit inconsistent won't be necessarily due to Android, more Samsung's interpretation.

Enjoy :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â