Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Can someone explain the lack of memory though? 8gb makes is near useless and no way is internet speeds good enough to move to the cloud yet. Also £40 more for 8gb? Seriously?

Is this an agreement with the movie / music industry to help move people onto streaming and buying to store in the cloud? It's so irritating, I can't store more than a few hours of HD content with 8gb of storage and 8gb more is not worth £40.

Is there WiFi direct? Can I get data from my SGS3 onto my Nesus 7? What work around is there?

Few answers for you Conor :)

I think the big difference between the 8GB and 16GB is because the 8 is a loss leader. To hit that price point with that hardware, combined with all other costs probably means they're at best breaking even. They know people want the bigger space but are drawn in by the price. Heck, it's worked on me, I've just ordered a 16GB version.

Google Play does stream a lot of stuff even if they ignore everywhere but the US a bit too much. They know you'll be on WiFi all the time with this device so you'll be able to stream all your music from Google Music. It's certainly not a photo or video capture device so space isn't required there.

I think the extra hardware to support a micro-SD actually adds a fair bit onto the price. With margins this tight they leave it off.

Simon, I've got ICS on my Xoom. Flashed AOKP onto it ages ago.

Anyone wanna buy a Xoom? :)

I get it that the 8.gb is the loss leader. I was actually thinking that after I posted. Also Nexus devices haven't had sd slots since first nexus and there is a reason for it. I don't know what it is, buy it's Google policy.

So, how does the nexus 7 connect with my S3? If only it had s beam

At that price point it's good, especially as it's a 7 inch tablet. Very good size for portability. It's very good for watching stuff on commutes. Plus I hear there's now wifi on the tube which is great.

There is no such thing as unbiased opinion. But Mykeyb would be your best man for an opinion as he has had both phones. PM him.

I posted my opinions on the S3 a couple of pages back if you want to read. Of course there is a significant size difference between an iPhone 4 and a S3, if you are happy with that I can't imagine you being disappointed with the S3, it's a great phone.

Can anyone tell me what is so good about this Nexus?

I have a iPhone, I'm guessing this is just a bigger version of that without being a phone? Why would I need one?

It is indeed a bigger version of a phone, but it cant make calls. It is only £159 meaning it's a fraction of the cost and the screen size is much better for watching videos, playing games and browsing the internet. The size also makes it much more portable than an iPad or other large tablet.

I think the extra hardware to support a micro-SD actually adds a fair bit onto the price. With margins this tight they leave it off.

SD Cards make it easy for you to use media you have bought elsewhere. Media which Google will make nothing from, they will want you to use the Play Store and to make sure you start they are giving you some free credit. If this takes off then Google could make some very very healthy profits out of it.

The battle between this and the Fire will be an interesting one.

I love that Google dumped the rear camera from the Nexus 7. Nobody wants or needs a camera on a tablet. It's a complete waste of money.

In struggling here on what size memory one to get. It's so cheap it's a near throw away item. I spent now money pin a pair of shoes yesterday. But as a matter of principle paying £40 for 8gb of storage is criminal.

I do have my 50gb of dropbox storage though and I may bother using Google music thanks to this sly ploy by Google.

But can someone tell me how I get things from my phone to tablet and back without a sd slot ?

darren ?

SD cards - if you have an app installed on it you can't use widgets

1)Installing apps on SD becomes less necessary as internal storage increases

2)No SD means that widgets just work, rather than sometimes working - i.e. a more seamless UX

Moving stuff around

Do you guys have ES File Explorer? Can browse/copy/cut from network. Also acts as dropbox/google drive/microsoft cloud client

But I never use sd card for installing apps. Samsung have been excellent with the amount of storage on their galaxy series So maybe I'm alone in this. But sd is for storing and moving music and video for me. Not running my phone and apps.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â