Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Convinced the boss I had to switch networks for my workphone, current reception is shit at my house. The network I wanted had a business-pack for £50 per month which is free everything uncapped and all the bells and whistles. More or less what I have now so the company said yes without hesitation.

The "win" part was that they had a deal running out today that will give me a Galaxy S II and a Galaxy tab 10.1 free in the deal. And I get to keep my Desire Z.

Today is a good day!

Got the gear. Just one thing, how do you people live with the utter crapness that is touchwiz?? It's horrid! Other than that I like the hardware and as soon as there is a good rom available the Samsung crap is history.

The tab is fun but I'm still a laptop man. Poked around with the new 11 inch Macbook air, and that's a impressive thing.

Well, I thought I was just starting to get the hang of this bloody Android phone.

Any idea why it should suddenly have started going very slowly? Like, switching it on and off, swiping, pressing the menu buttons - sometimes it responds straight away, but more often it now takes several seconds. What's going on?

Probably you've installed something bad. Remove the last few apps you installed until it recovers.
I wondered about that. But surely if there are no apps actually running it couldn't have that effect? Or could it?

Did it fix the problem? You can always re-install them again.
Actually what seemed to do the trick was simply a "hard reboot" (or whatever you call it in phoneworld) - took the battery out and put it back.

Seemed to freshen things up no end.

Does "with the switch" mean you held down the action button and selected "Power Off"? There is no difference between doing this and removing the battery. I suspect whatever was causing the problem had stopped or been removed and the removal of the battery was fortuitous timing.

Does "with the switch" mean you held down the action button and selected "Power Off"? There is no difference between doing this and removing the battery. I suspect whatever was causing the problem had stopped or been removed and the removal of the battery was fortuitous timing.
No. With hindsight, I guess all I was really doing was putting it into sleep mode, rather than actually shutting down. Only just spotted that "power off" option. Duh.

Cool so a modified SGS2 will be the Nexus prime, same way the Nexus S was a Galaxy S. Basically no real next gen phones until next year.

Nothing like it mate. The Nexus S and Galaxy S were very close but Google made Samsung drop the awful moviNAND for Sandisk oneNAND to get rid of the lag.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the Samsung Galaxy S2 are miles apart. The Nexus will has a 4.65" curved SAMOLED+ HD at 1280x720, dual-core 1.5GHz. The whole front face of the device is a screen with no buttons as ICS will have the tablet style soft buttons.

Jammy bastard. I'd like to get a 10.1 tab, not because I'd use it, but just to annoy the apple people.

Incidentally, Samsung have released a sort of beta as an alternative launcher here, or you could try Launcher pro or ADW Launcher EX

Wasn't impressed with the Galaxy Tab, or the 10.1 when playing in Currys yesterday. Just not smooth to an iPad level.

The one that impressed me the most was the Advent Vega. Severely tempted by one of those at £199.99 retail, or around £150 on eBay. The screen wasn't as good as the Samsung tablets but the ability to load either CM, or a HC port is a big plus. Also it'll be open for ICS in a couple of months.

It was very regular during 1.x, but as of 2.x it is slowing down and looks like it will eventually be about once a year. The codenames of the updates are in alphabetical order, and are of things which are (supposedly) sweeter than apples. So far we have had the following:

1.5 Cupcake

1.6 Donut

2.1 Eclair

2.2 Froyo (Frozen Yoghurt)

2.3 Gingerbread

3.0 Honeycomb, which is for tablets only.

The next update is Ice Cream Sandwich, which is due out in a month or two, almost certainly with the launch of the new Nexus phone. 2.3 Gingerbread came out in December 2010 with the Nexus S. 3.0 doesnt really count in the timeline as it was a tablet thing done on the side. High end Android phones (Nexus S, Galaxy S2) should get updated to Ice Cream Sandwich shorty after the Nexus phone is released.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â