Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

It appears from reading reviews on the Ace that it can not run flash because the hardware does not fulfil Adobe's minimum requirements for flash. So that's a no-go. Though I'll still probably go with it. Just need to run down the shops and play with one during lunchtime now :)

Cheers guys.

Yep Rev, we just differ in what we want. But once you see touch wiz 4 you wouldn't dream of putting a vanilla rom on the galaxy s2. Also the media player plays all kind of video file formats, has 5.1 surround, 3 different aspect ratios. It's an exceptional player.

Brian read the tech radar review of the ace and wildfire s, they pretty much piss all over the wildfire. It's a huge let down of a phone and I was holding off recommending the ace to my mate until the wildfire s was out and reviewed. The ace is cheaper and better. Also if we're all honest we don't use flash that much on the phone. You need a high end one really to play it properly.

I've never had any trouble with the quality. Just search for a movie, read the comments and download. HD movies and all. Media is a rip off, I go to the cinema for good movies but for most of the crap it's not worth the money.

I will say this for SAMOLED, it gives even a poorer quality source a bit more pop. I'm putting say... DVD quality stuff on the phone and the screen manages to give them some of that depth that you get from a HD source.

I put some stuff ripped from Youtube on there earlier and even that impressed me, and that wasn't high end youtube stuff, just run of the mill.

OK you talked me into it Conor :) After looking more closely at the Desire S, I've placed my order for it :) One thing that I can't quite seem to establish though is whether it has a TFT-LCD, an S-LCD or an amoled screen. Because it appears as though, depending on the specific one you are buying, it could have any of the above.

I'm also going to need an sd card as it 'only' comes with 1.1Gb storage.

Good choice, you've go, alsot an excellent phone. It's super lcd screen buy a class 4 16gb micro sd card and you're sorted for storage. Also try never look at the screen of a galaxy s or s2.

Get drop box and tasker when you get the phone and pop over to the android thread

The Desire S has a S-LCD screen, which (as far as I am aware) is the latest and greatest version of LCD tech.

I think Samsung are the only company with the facility to make AMOLED screens and they are selling them more quickly than they can make them, so for the time being AMOLED remains exclusive to the high end Samsung phones. They used to sell the screens to HTC a year or so ago, but that deal ended I presume when Samsung started selling a lot more of their own handsets.

Personally I'd agree with Conor, paying the extra €60 is worth it for a nice phone, if it's something you will use every day then you will be glad you did in a couple of months when you wont be missing the money any more and have a really good experience.

Accessories I would recommend for your phone? Not too many really. I'd buy an SD card, up to 16gb they work out at about £1 per gb (UK prices) and I assume the Eurozone prices are almost identical. If you do a lot of driving then getting a car dock is probably an idea too. You can get a universal bracket and micro USB charger for less than a tenner on Amazon or eBay, and they work perfectly. One of the best things about Android is the Google Navigation sat nav services. Its free and its absolutely brilliant, but its nice to be able to charge your phone while using it.

And yes. Get Dropbox. It is fantastic!

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/4ysK3Mf

I whore my referral out here because if you join Dropbox via a referral then you get more storage for free than you would if you just sign up via the website (and of course, I get a boost too :mrgreen:)

One of the best things about Android is the Google Navigation sat nav services

I can vouch for that. Been using the one on my Galaxy S2 for the last few days and its probably the best sat nav ive used. AND ITS FREE!!

One of the best things about Android is the Google Navigation sat nav services
I can vouch for that. Been using the one on my Galaxy S2 for the last few days and its probably the best sat nav ive used. AND ITS FREE!!

http://www.google.co.uk/mobile/navigation/

Have you watched the videos on this site? It explains some of the cooler features of Android sat nav such as the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxB7bqkmXtI, or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h86f1L8RT8c.

These are easy things to miss when you are unfamiliar with the interface, but they are amazingly handy.

Oh, and does the Galaxy S2 have the Google Car Home on it? My old man has the Experia Arc, which is the high end 2.3 Sony phone and it didnt come with any kind of Car mode. There are plenty on the marketplace so its just a case of installing one, I was just curious if the S2 had one out of the box?

Sure would be good if the 120 page android thread could be summarised down into a few digestible posts ;)

If only we could find a mod up to the job :mrgreen:

Would people mind if I make this a "android general chat" thread and create a tips thread with no discussion?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â