Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Ok another quick tech question for u clever buggers , with the Galaxy supporting such things as Divx does that mean i could go onto such sites as stagevu and have no problems watching a film on there as i have found films on that particular site are of a very good standard .

Suddenly, i'm not so keen for 2.2

Bah, bloody Vodafone. They've sneakily released a firmware update that includes tons of their 360 guff, at a time when people were expecting it to be the 2.2 update. Apparently, lots of Vodafone apps are installed to your phone and cannot be removed.

Thankfully I haven't had the update pushed on me yet, but judging from the anger on the Vodafone forums, I think i'll be politely declining it.

Rumours are though that the guff will be included with 2.2 anyway :x

Is this only a problem on HTC desire phones ?

Yeah :cry:

Suddenly, i'm not so keen for 2.2

Bah, bloody Vodafone. They've sneakily released a firmware update that includes tons of their 360 guff, at a time when people were expecting it to be the 2.2 update. Apparently, lots of Vodafone apps are installed to your phone and cannot be removed.

Thankfully I haven't had the update pushed on me yet, but judging from the anger on the Vodafone forums, I think i'll be politely declining it.

Rumours are though that the guff will be included with 2.2 anyway :x

Debrand, stick the stock 2.2 rom on instead. It's trivial to do, just make a goldcard and run the stock WWE RUU.

Hi guys, I'm a bit of a neutral observer of this topic having previously not owned either platform (However I have today just ordered an iPhone 8) )

Anyway bit of an odd post from me but what do you guys make of Android's name? :notsure:

I work in marketing and am obviously well aware of the importance of branding and personally I really do hate the name and on the face of it I think alot of younger people would also feel the same.

Obviously for those who have brought into the platform it won't be a problem because you will be seeing first hand it's benefits but do you feel it could be a barrier to certain consumers?

Just interested in your thoughts as its purely a hunch that I have - does anyone know the reasoning behind the choice of Android's name, and what are your own personal thoughts on it?

Barrier? I don't think so, it's not as if iOS us a better name for a platform than Android. I can't imagine the name would really be a barrier. The phones themselves have good names like Desire, Galaxy S, Xperia, Evo 4G. Pretty snappy names. The problem with Android at the moment is only since the release of the Nexus One has there been a handset to compete properly with the iPhone.

So it's only the beginning for Android, as that phone was only released in January this year. Once Android overtake the iPhone in market share then people will start to take it more seriously, many people, including yourself felt it "safer" to go with the iPhone.

many people, including yourself felt it "safer" to go with the iPhone.

Why do you say that?

There are things that an Iphone does better than an Galaxy S, perhaps the better choice on the App Store or the ability to buy music, TV progs & movies using the same account as for your apps was the USP.

The suggestion which you have repeated in the threads that people buy Iphones out of ignorance of Android or safety is a little low. If and when I buy an Android handset it wont be because I have suddenly found out about Android or because I decide to live a little dangerously, it will be because I think it does everything I want it too, same decision I made when I went for the 4 rather than a Desire or Galaxy.

You'll find that people know more about the iphone platform than android. So many people who decide to get smartphones see the iphone as the first step, it's been around for years now and people are familiar with it. Most people have seen iphones before.

That's not the case for android. It's only been a proper player for seven months now so many people aren't familiar with what it has to offer. They don't know that it has many advantages over the iphone. So people should have a look at both. Be informed of the merits of both and decide for themselves.

People do feel that they might be biting off more than they can chew by starting with android, it has the incorrect image of being advanced. Of something that would be difficult to use, so people think the iphone will be easier, safer.

You can't argue with that. Android is a viable alternative to the iphone, not enough people know that.

I might actually be getting a Samsung Galaxy S at the end of the month , misses is having major problems with her Samsung U900 soul ( yeah i know , its 3 years old ) ,anyway she has rung Vodafone and they have said if she wishes to she can upgrade her phone 6 months early aslong as she does it online , so i might give her my current phone and then i'll have the Galaxy mwahahaha i love it when a plan comes together .

Any news on when there doing the 2.2 upgrade by the way ?

Been confirmed, just read the techradar review of the 2.2 update. Sky sports, bbc iplayer, 4od all work. Which is going to be very useful indeed.

Then I bloody hope they soon update this fon,but first we will get 2,1, why not 2,2 sony :evil:

Fox news is like satan news. Why would you want that?

Mostly because of the high quality videos :-)

Sony are useless with the updates. I ditched my x10 and got a galaxy s instead. I'd go root your mini and then get a custom mod when one is available.

Yeah,maybe I should root it.

The main thing i worry about if i get an android phone is all this rooting and downloading stuff , if i am an honest i am a complete moron with technology and computers and stuff i am sensing i may have to ask u lot even more questions , hell you'll probably be sendin me a bill by the end of the year hehe

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â