Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I can tell you s26 that you won't be disappointed with the Moto G as pound for pound it is one of the best out there. Just remember there's no charger supplied with the phone but my better half has been using the charger from my Wildfire S.

Just don't expect anything like the n5 in any way. I did and was very disappointed. They're great for the price but I still think the n5 is better for the money.

Yeah mate your probably right and although buying a Moto G is probably the most cost affective in my situation I'll probably go for the Nexus 5 or a limited edition red HTC One as they are better phones.

I haven't been near HTC since they decided they didn't want developers using their phones, and subsequently made all of their phones utter rubbish (everything since the Desire, bar the One).

So recently my Galaxy S4 has been dropping my wifi signal around my apartment. It'll do it even when it's not that far away from the router ~15-20ft at most. I have a Nexus 7 and various laptops and they don't drop signal all around the apartment.

Any thoughts?

I can tell you s26 that you won't be disappointed with the Moto G as pound for pound it is one of the best out there. Just remember there's no charger supplied with the phone but my better half has been using the charger from my Wildfire S.

Just don't expect anything like the n5 in any way. I did and was very disappointed. They're great for the price but I still think the n5 is better for the money.

Yeah mate your probably right and although buying a Moto G is probably the most cost affective in my situation I'll probably go for the Nexus 5 or a limited edition red HTC One as they are better phones.

I haven't been near HTC since they decided they didn't want developers using their phones, and subsequently made all of their phones utter rubbish (everything since the Desire, bar the One).

Being a user of the Wildfire S I can confirm although it never let me down the One is on a completely different planet but then again so is the software since the release of the S.

I've looked at a few reviews of the Nexus 5 and seemingly it's best feature is the price point for what you are getting while being let down by battery, sound and camera.

Since I go to a lot of concerts and am reliant on all three of the above to record the concert I'm therefore not sure the Nexus is the One for me.

Consequently I might just purchase another HTC One. You can pick up the red limited edition HTC One on Gumtree for as little as £270 unlocked and with the £160 plus another £16 I will get for my scuffed HTC One and mint Wildfire S I think I will just do a repeat purchase as there really isn't anything else out there to satisfy my needs.

Edited by Morpheus

Not with o2 you can't. Its in the Ts and Cs that they can increase due to RPI at any time within the contract.

Thanks Eames for that. It saves me a bit of time. Will just have to grin and bare it for another year. :(

Being a user of the Wildfire S I can confirm although it never let me down the One is on a completely different planet but then again so is the software since the release of the S.

I've looked at a few reviews of the Nexus 5 and seemingly it's best feature is the price point for what you are getting while being let down by battery, sound and camera.

Since I go to a lot of concerts and am reliant on all three of the above to record the concert I'm therefore not sure the Nexus is the One for me.

Consequently I might just purchase another HTC One. You can pick up the red limited edition HTC One on Gumtree for as little as £270 unlocked and with the £160 plus another £16 I will get for my scuffed HTC One and mint Wildfire S I think I will just do a repeat purchase as there really isn't anything else out there to satisfy my needs.

Most reviews these days seem to be just PFE as clickbait. Nexus is something that people get quite opinionated about so it's free ad money really if they put something a bit controversial.

The camera is spectacular at times, great most of the time, ordinary in low light with moving objects. OIS and HDR+ put it a cut above most smartphone cameras.  Don't believe the reviews.

The sound is absolutely fine. I never understood that particular criticism. It's easy to cover the speaker when playing games, and it was never designed to have audio like the One, but neither do most other phones, yet they're not criticised for it. Don't believe the reviews.

The battery life is on par with what you'd expect. It's not stellar, it's not awful. Average use sees it last a day, heavy use and you'll need to top it up somehow to last till bedtime. Again, par for the course for S4, HTC One etc. Don't believe the reviews.

Obviously choose what you like, but the Nexus 5 is competing to have the best experience, speed, camera with phones twice its price. Put it at the same price as a Z1 or S4 and it's debatable which is the best phone. At half the price it's incredible.

Just my opinion obviously. I'm intrigued as to what the other owners in here think.

Here's a pure, unedited, straight from the camera photo in dim light and moving objects. Looks pretty good to me.

IMG_20131124_132026.jpg?m=1387563109

• Like 1

Hold on, what?

Odd move. Must feel pretty safe about patents for some reason. They have just cross-licensed loads of patents with Samsung but I'd be surprised if there was a covenant agreement in there to protect each other against the Church of Apple.

So Google and Samsung sign a cross licence agreement early in the week.

Google ask Samsung to not duplicate Google Apps on their handsets and Samsung agree.

Google sell Motorola...........................

What next Samsung kill Tizen?

So Google and Samsung sign a cross licence agreement early in the week.

Google ask Samsung to not duplicate Google Apps on their handsets and Samsung agree.

Google sell Motorola...........................

What next Samsung kill Tizen?

This is a HUGE move. Google sold Motorola and strengthen ties with the king pin of Android at the same time. I think this is as close to Wintel a development as we've seen in the mobile sector.

Google basically saying to Samsung, look let us do the software design and apps, you just focus resources on hardware (as they've taken their eye off the ball last year in my opinion). I think Google is going to do an excellent job of the software things Samsung has tried to do etc.. now they have thier patents.

Very interesting and hopefully we can see the fruits of this with the S5. I've a feeling this cross licence deal can allow Google Play Editions of the S5 to come with Samsung Camera apps and other functionality.

I link my calendar to the villa fixtures but they don't seem to change when a game is rearranged. Is there a way of doing this?

Or do I need to unlink it and then link up again?

This is nothing to do with Android. I guess it's Google Calendar, but there are tens of Villa fixture calendars out there.

I think it might be time to close this thread. People (including me) keep taking it off topic. It might be better to have separate threads for different things.

I link my calendar to the villa fixtures but they don't seem to change when a game is rearranged. Is there a way of doing this?

Or do I need to unlink it and then link up again?

This is nothing to do with Android. I guess it's Google Calendar, but there are tens of Villa fixture calendars out there.

I think it might be time to close this thread. People (including me) keep taking it off topic. It might be better to have separate threads for different things.

Have we already got a "general phone chat"?

Might I suggest we change this topic to that.

The iphones have their topic so I imagine it'll only really be Android that gets discussed in there/here anyway, but would give a bit of leeway to when people want to discuss stuff to do with their phone that isn't strictly directly related to Android (like the aforementioned Google calendar issue)

Edited by Stevo985

But things like this last question are nothing to do with mobile phones. People have just got in the habit of posting everything in the same thread.

The iphone thread is quiet now. If that needs the same treatment later, it can be done later.

It's no bother. I think it will be more useful for people to find things that interest them if we have more threads rather than one massive one.

Also, it'll make it easier for people to use the "follow topic" option.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â