Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Samsung have a bad name in my family, my phone **** up, my brother-in-laws did and now my sisters s3 mini has.

Never known so many problems, would rather have an Iphone.

I'm not massively impressed with my s3.

Had it for nearly 2 years but no desire to get the new galaxy when it comes out.

Impressed with android and won't go back to Apple (for the moment) but my next phone will be the Nexus 5

Speaking of the nexus, has anyone ever used D Brand skins? They look awesome but eager to hear if they look a bit shit in the flesh

Had it for nearly 2 years but no desire to get the new galaxy when it comes out.

Impressed with android and won't go back to Apple (for the moment) but my next phone will be the Nexus 5

Speaking of the nexus, has anyone ever used D Brand skins? They look awesome but eager to hear if they look a bit shit in the flesh

Yes. I bought some dbrand skins for my Nexus 5 before the phone even arrived.

They looked amazing on the internet, but a bit less wow in the flesh.

The edges of the vinyl kept on collecting pocket fluff and eventually they started lifting up.

Gave it a nice effect but I eventually pulled them off and gave up. Just a bit pointless really.

• Like 1

Hmmmm thanks.

They look cool. Thought they might give the phone some protection from scratches (obviously won't prevent fall damage) without the bulkiness of a case.

I hate buying a lovely new phone and then covering it all up with a case.

I assume they just peel straight off without leaving anything behind? I might buy one for the back anyway, they're not too expensive, and see how I get on

I know what you mean. Its a good phone and it does the job but I don't love it like I loved the HTC Desire of even my old Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

MIght give the N5 the time of day or even a Note 3.

I feel like it's not actually a good piece of kit (relatively speaking of course).

The stuff it can do is great, and android is great. But I feel like the phone itself isn't all that. Unreliable, quite slow a lot of the time, shocking battery, bloatware etc.

I'm not technically minded enough to know if any/all of that's software or hardware related, but it's enough to not make me hugely interested in the S5 whenever it appears.

Never been a fan of Samsung phones apart from the S2. Get yourself/have a play with a Google Nexus device and the difference is night and day.

Failing that, try Cyanogen mod on it and see if it's any better - it ought to be as there's no Samsung crapware on it.

• Like 1

Yeah my mom got a N4 recently and it's lovely. To be honest I'd be happy to change to that, let alone a N5!

On a realted note, how well is the N4 camera regarded?

My mom hates it (and it's one of the reasons she wanted a "good" phone") and I must admit when I use it the pictures don't look amazing.

Although her main problem is she just whips it out and snaps away without waiting for it to focus, so half of her photos are blurred.

Edited by Stevo985

I never had any problems with the N4 camera, whilst is certainly isn't as good as other smartphones, I got some good shots with it at gigs/festivals/blah.

I had to do a factory reset on my N5 due to a Google Now issue. The reset was after an upgrade to the very latest version of KitKat, but the reset has naturally returned it to the factory OS.

Any idea on how long it normally takes for the update to reappear?

I had to do a factory reset on my N5 due to a Google Now issue. The reset was after an upgrade to the very latest version of KitKat, but the reset has naturally returned it to the factory OS.

Android 442 is the latest version, so have a look in settings>about phone> Android version

• Like 1

You've already applied the firmware update. A factory reset can't remove a firmware update.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I got thrown by the change in the display, but just checked and it says I'm running v 4.4.2

Cheers.

Android 442 is the latest version, so have a look in settings>about phone> Android version

Thanks, just did and it's up to date.

:)

Hmmmm thanks.

They look cool. Thought they might give the phone some protection from scratches (obviously won't prevent fall damage) without the bulkiness of a case.

I hate buying a lovely new phone and then covering it all up with a case.

I assume they just peel straight off without leaving anything behind? I might buy one for the back anyway, they're not too expensive, and see how I get on

Yeah come off with no fuss. As you say, they're don't cost much so worth trying to see if you like them. One thing I liked was that it would give the edges of the phone some grip. I had the black carbon style on the sides and white carbon style on the back. Looked good but started to suffer after a couple of weeks.

I've said it before and will say it again, moving from the SGS3 to the N4 is like night and day. The N4 never lags and it really feels like a premium handset rather than the very cheap feeling S3.

My only gripe was the battery life but since installing battery guru I seem to be getting the extra 10-15% life that I needed to get a full days use out of it.

Does the N5 have a micor sd slot? That would be the only thing I'd change about the N4.

I don't think it does.

I'm buying my N5 this week. 

Going to try and sell my S3 on ebay. Give it a £100 reserve or something to make sure I get as much as I'd get on Mazuma and those sites.

I'll throw in my spare charger and docking station to sweeten the deal

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â