The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

5 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

That Damian Priest botch was hilarious. I don't watch much, but I just don't see how or why he's a champ.

Because they've focused so much on Cody, Reigns, and the Rock everyone else is superfluous. Or at least there's nobody else who's had as much care and attention storyline wise.

Besides, he's only an interim champ until Gunther gets it at SummerSlam.

On 15/06/2024 at 18:05, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I cut my rasslin’ teeth in the heyday of the mighty Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, starting probably in 1973. My father was really into it and so were most of my friends, and we became obsessed. They did live events in my hometown every other Sunday and we didn’t miss one for several years running. Saw so many legends: Harley Race, both Funk brothers, Andre, Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair from his very start, Greg Valentine, Ernie Ladd, Roddy Piper, a very young Randy Savage (in fact, saw him when he still used his real name, Randy Poffo), Ivan Koloff, Wahoo McDaniels, et al. Was still into it when I graduated from high school but at the point rock & roll had taken top priority for several years. My interest in rasslin’ was killed off by WWF and Hogan & Cyndi Lauper with that Rock & Wrestling cartoon garbage, pretty sure that was around 1985. Totally gave it up, though came back during the WCW era. Watched all that glorious stuff with NWO but when that ended so did my time with rasslin’. And this time I haven’t returned. But I still love shows like Dark Side of the Ring and reading books like The Squared Circle by David Shoemaker

Is it cool to discuss old school stuff here, or is only contemporary rasslin discussion allowed?

Would have loved to have been around for that, Few years too late & the wrong side of the atlantic but have always been a wrestling fan & we used to go to shows in the UK regularly. Obviously saw all the UK guys frequently but also managed to catch plenty of people live like Owen Hart, Dynamite Kid, Fit Finlay, Davey Boy Smith, William Regal & Even Kamala in the early 80's. I remember being absolutely stunned the first time i saw owen do a backflip off the ropes as it wasn't something that you saw wrestlers do in the UK back in 84. We also had friends/Family in Swindon and this was the first part of the UK to really get access to satellite/cable tv and remember getting tapes of all star wrestling back in 84/85 and was lucky enough to see the first Wrestlemania (may have been highlights rather than full show but memory of a 40 year old vhs tape is a bit ropey) at the time. Once WWF took off we used to get a late night/overnight showing of WWF All American Wrestling every week too which we used to record overnight & then get up to watch before school, Getting to see the WWF grow from day one was awesome even though 90% of the matches at that time seemed to be just superstars in squash matches against jobbers.

Watched frequently until after the attitude era and still dip in and out now from time to time but it is too much of a time commitment to try and watch everything now and have no real interest in watching 5-10 hours of shows every week. Like you i watch all the old documentary type stuff (watching a&e biography Rick Steamboat as i type) as these are far more interesting to me than new shows. Also have a venture out to some of the conventions featuring the old guys occasionally as it is nice to hear them talk about the old days first hand. I did also make the mistake of getting a couple of funko pops signed by some of the people there and this started something that has become somewhat of a mid-life crisis and now turned in to pretty much a roomfull of 300 or so of them

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

Would have loved to have been around for that, Few years too late & the wrong side of the atlantic but have always been a wrestling fan & we used to go to shows in the UK regularly. Obviously saw all the UK guys frequently but also managed to catch plenty of people live like Owen Hart, Dynamite Kid, Fit Finlay, Davey Boy Smith, William Regal & Even Kamala in the early 80's. I remember being absolutely stunned the first time i saw owen do a backflip off the ropes as it wasn't something that you saw wrestlers do in the UK back in 84. We also had friends/Family in Swindon and this was the first part of the UK to really get access to satellite/cable tv and remember getting tapes of all star wrestling back in 84/85 and was lucky enough to see the first Wrestlemania (may have been highlights rather than full show but memory of a 40 year old vhs tape is a bit ropey) at the time. Once WWF took off we used to get a late night/overnight showing of WWF All American Wrestling every week too which we used to record overnight & then get up to watch before school, Getting to see the WWF grow from day one was awesome even though 90% of the matches at that time seemed to be just superstars in squash matches against jobbers.

Watched frequently until after the attitude era and still dip in and out now from time to time but it is too much of a time commitment to try and watch everything now and have no real interest in watching 5-10 hours of shows every week. Like you i watch all the old documentary type stuff (watching a&e biography Rick Steamboat as i type) as these are far more interesting to me than new shows. Also have a venture out to some of the conventions featuring the old guys occasionally as it is nice to hear them talk about the old days first hand.

👍👍 I am pretty sure Steamboat debuted in Mid-Atlantic. Saw him a lot in that era, his feuds with Flair, my all-time fave, were epic. 

This is very entertaining, highly recommend it. Basically a non-fiction version of Heels. Wrestlers is better than Heels, IMO, but Heels is still worth watching 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

39 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

👍👍 I am pretty sure Steamboat debuted in Mid-Atlantic. Saw him a lot in that era, his feuds with Flair, my all-time fave, were epic. 

I watched a load of it on the wwe network a few years back, they have pretty much everything available on there and watched most of the all star stuff through the 70's/80's and loads of the mid south / mid atlantic shows too. Ended up watching what would have been a weekly episode or two at the time most days so some of the months long fueds back then were over in a week or two for me but was still great to watch as i didn't really know any of the results ahead of time but obviously knew many of the people or at least what they would go on to become. I have seen both wrestlers & heels and enjoyed both, Sure Heels is cheesy and over dramatic but the wrestling side of it is well done (guess it helps when you have cm punk & aj lee involved) . Also have the Billy Corgan reality wedding show meets NWA wrestling series ready to watch at some point but not holding out much hope for that. He's definitely trying but not sure that dragging his wrestling company around as a support act to the smashing pumpkins gigs and as a condition to making his reality show is the best way to get fans invested in what he is doing, although having watched/skinmed a couple of the recent nwa shows the wedding stuff will probably be better.

Tales From The Territories on Vice is also worth a look although as with everything on Vice & The official WWE stuff on a&e there seems to be a huge amount of crossover. Decades of stuff featuring thousands of people and they somehow all focus on the same people telling the same stories. The amount of times i start watching dark side or a&e bigraphy & think, hang on i've seen this before is crazy. 

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I watched a load of it on the wwe network a few years back, they have pretty much everything available on there and watched most of the all star stuff through the 70's/80's and loads of the mid south / mid atlantic shows too. Ended up watching what would have been a weekly episode or two at the time most days so some of the months long fueds back then were over in a week or two for me but was still great to watch as i didn't really know any of the results ahead of time but obviously knew many of the people or at least what they would go on to become. I have seen both wrestlers & heels and enjoyed both, Sure Heels is cheesy and over dramatic but the wrestling side of it is well done (guess it helps when you have cm punk & aj lee involved) . Also have the Billy Corgan reality wedding show meets NWA wrestling series ready to watch at some point but not holding out much hope for that. He's definitely trying but not sure that dragging his wrestling company around as a support act to the smashing pumpkins gigs and as a condition to making his reality show is the best way to get fans invested in what he is doing, although having watched/skinmed a couple of the recent nwa shows the wedding stuff will probably be better.

I had no idea such a thing existed 🤯

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2024 at 15:44, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

Why they bothering with the uncle howdy? Can't see it being a  success without bray

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting thoughts Dem.

I think it could work if includes Bo Dallas on a Bray Wyatt revenge tour! 

I've always liked the mystical / spiritual elements of WWE. I'm excited to see what HHH and Co do with this storyline.

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting thoughts Dem.

I think it could work if includes Bo Dallas on a Bray Wyatt revenge tour! 

I've always liked the mystical / spiritual elements of WWE. I'm excited to see what HHH and Co do with this storyline.

The angles been good so far i must admit. Im glad they did a video part with howdy interviewing dallas because its better they reveal dallas as uncle howdy as everyone knows its him and you will just gwt chants from fans that will ruin the angle.

I think they need to do similar segments with all of the wyatt sixc (redbeard lumis nikki cross and the other one who i have forgotten) as everyone knowa who they are and it gives a good story telling how they came together as opposed to randomly putting them together with no story

Hogan’s the absolute worst, total 💩💩💩. Horrible in the ring (leg drop as finishing move? 🤣🤣🤣) and not even especially good on the mic. It’s disgusting that he became both the face of rasslin’ and so damn famous/wealthy. 🤬 Loathe the mofo 

Looking back as an adult, you can see how shit Hogan was for the reasons you say. But as kid... man I loved him 😂

The youth of a few years ago will feel the same when they get to their 30s about John Cena

On 07/07/2024 at 19:01, StewieGriffin said:

Looking back as an adult, you can see how shit Hogan was for the reasons you say. But as kid... man I loved him 😂

The youth of a few years ago will feel the same when they get to their 30s about John Cena

He comes across as right clown in that wcw documentary.  Massive ego and wasnt in it to help the fans or others just himself

On 07/07/2024 at 11:01, StewieGriffin said:

I was already an adult (19) in 85 when he broke huge 🤣

your point proves that kids are stupid 😉

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He comes across as right clown in that wcw documentary.  Massive ego and wasnt in it to help the fans or others just himself

He and everything he is has always been 100% lowest common denominator 

23 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

He and everything he is has always been 100% lowest common denominator 

Hogan broke through at a time when there was no Internet ans the audience was different.  Hogan never would have become as big as he did with todays audience

Depends what you mean by "today's audience" really - kids love(d) Cena who was the All-American Hero, not the biggest guy but could pull off slams/lifts etc against huge guys. There was also Rey Mysterio who also had the "unfathomably small guy beats monster" schtik, which people somehow loved. Hogan was that.

If you mean "currently" then no, he'd probably be IC level at best because of his lack of charisma.

I'll still feel very nostalgic and sad when he dies

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â