News story of the day

BOF

Yeah, they may have thought it would be hard to prove that they had the "intention" of committing a sexual offence, and the time and money wasted on trying to prove it wasn't worth it if it was likely to fail.

The deal then means they save money by not having to prove they kidnapped the child because they've admitted it.

I'm sure there could be a myriad of other reasons why these deals happen though. The time taken to put together a case to prove both charges might have given the defence more time to get them off or get their sentences reduced or whatever, for example.

• 3 months later...

First of all, apologies for the S*n link.

Disabled mugging victim Alan Barnes snubs good samaritan who helped raise £330K for him – after she’s hit by bill for his PR campaign

BARNES says he'll only give Katie Cutler £10 despite bailiff threat over £6.687 debt

DISABLED mugging victim Alan Barnes who raked in more than £330k in well-wisher donations after he was attacked, has offered the woman who led the fundraising drive just £10 as she faces bailiff action.

Katie Cutler has been slapped with a court order over a £6,687 unpaid bill she owes a PR firm she hired to raise the profile of Mr Barnes’ campaign.

NINTCHDBPICT000266726179
North News and Pictures

“I would suggest that someone sets up a small fund to raise money to pay for Katie’s PR”: Mr Barnes is refusing to help Ms Cutler despite the incredible support she gave him
Ms Cutler has been slapped with a court order over an unpaid bill after she hire a PR firm to raise the profile of Mr Barnes' campaign
North News and Pictures
Ms Cutler has been slapped with a court order over an unpaid bill after she hired a PR firm to raise the profile of Mr Barnes’ campaign

Despite Ms Cutler’s incredible support Mr Barnes has said the money raised was”for myself”, and has even said the fundraiser should set up another campaign to pay off her debt.

Alan received £330,000 in donations when he was left with a broken collarbone while putting his bins out in Low Fell, Tyne and Wear, in January last year.

Katie hired £550-a-day Claire Barber PR to help boost the profile of a charitable foundation she set up to raise cash for Mr Barnes.

The PR firm are now claiming the fees through a county court order as Ms Cutler has been unable to pay them.

Mr Barnes said: “I would suggest that someone sets up a small fund to raise money to pay for Katie’s PR.

“It’s not a big amount and I think a lot of people would actually like to do that for Katie.

“I’m quite happy to put just a small donation in because I don’t want to show off.”

When asked how much he was willing to donate, Alan said: “A small amount to me is £10 or something.”

barnsey
Alan Barnes bought his house with money raised for him after the attack, but is not keen to help out the woman who made it happen

Alan Barnes describes mugging attack

He added: “It’s easy for people to say ‘he’s got a lot of money, cough up’ but you got to look into all the alternatives.

“It might seem hard but if I start handing it out, other people might ask for money.

"It was given to me on the understanding that I use it for myself.

“A lot of people just want it to stay with me.”

Ms Barnes said Claire Barber PR were hired after the coverage of Katie’s fundraising appeared in the Newcastle Chronicle.

He said: “They (the PR company) didn’t really do anything for me, the publicity really came through the Chronicle.”

alan
Mr Barnes has said he will offer Mr Cutler £10 towards her £6687 fee

Alan says he hasn’t seen Katie for over a year and spends his time relaxing and attending Wrekenton Methodist Church.

He plans to live off the money raised for him for the rest of his life and says he will make a donation to charity when he dies.

PR firm CEO Claire Barber said in a statement: “Katie Cutler employed Claire Barber PR to handle her PR in March 2015.

“We worked together for four months achieving blanket bespoke PR coverage across almost every national newspaper, multiple TV news channels across the NE and UK including Sky, ITN, ITV, the BBC and Channel 4, Radio 2 and an exclusive negotiated interview on ITV This Morning that took a considerable amount of time to set up.

"Also hundreds of emails, calls and planning.

“It was an enormous amount of work with phenomenal success.

"Katie made two payments in June 2015, then proceeded to write all over social media her shock at getting our bill (which was agreed prior to any work undertaken).

It might seem hard but if I start handing it out, other people might ask for money. It was given to me on the understanding that I use it for myself

Mr Barnes isn't keen to help a friend

“At this point we offered her a payment plan, but she wouldn’t respond to anything.

"As a small family business with an impeccable reputation and after over a year and still no payment, we had no choice but to go to the small claims court.

“Katie didn’t respond with any defence to the small claims court either other than acknowledgement of papers. We are a small, hard working company and we are simply not able to carry this debt.

“We are incredibly shocked with the way Katie has belittled our hard work and devotion to the four-month project that Katie commissioned us for.”

In the months after the attack Alan got a “calling from God” to move to the Shetland Islands.

But he decided to stay put and is now looking for another home in the Gateshead area.

His attacker, Richard Gatiss, of Split Crow Road in Gateshead, was jailed for four years after admitting assault with intent to rob.

Ehhh...

Insufferable clearing in the woods that he is.  I didn't see that coming!

CJ de Mooi: Eggheads star arrested on suspicion of murder at Heathrow Airport

CJ de Mooi: Eggheads star arrested on suspicion of murder at Heathrow Airport

Joseph Connagh, 46, who went by the name CJ de Mooi on the show, was arrested under a European arrest warrant

BBC CJ de Mooi
CJ de Mooi

Former Eggheads star CJ de Mooi has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

He was apprehended at Heathrow Airport on Wednesday after a European Arrest Warrant was issued in the Netherlands.

The 46-year-old, whose real name is Joseph Connagh, will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court today.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "A man was arrested at Heathrow Airport on Wednesday, 21 September on a European Arrest Warrant issued in the Netherlands in relation to an allegation of murder.

"Joseph Connagh, 46, self employed, of Monmouthshire appears in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Thursday, 22 September."

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What sort of idiot writes in a book that they killed someone and expects to get away with it, not Kevin or Pat, thats for certain.

This article from September last year says "I fully suspect I killed him. I've no idea what happened to him".  It also goes on to say that "police in the city are now investigating the incident" so the timeline is probably about right for that investigation.

De Mooi, one of the five regular panellists on the popular BBC quiz show, said he punched a man who approached him with a knife, then threw him into a canal in Amsterdam in 1988.

• 2 weeks later...

"It was a goner" :crylaugh:

And just get a taxi.  If you've spent "an hour" rooting around in there, you're probably not in a massive amount of pain :lol:

Student teacher, eh? I wonder how long before that copy of the Metro is circulating in the playground? 

(Thinking about it, something circulating in the playground was her problem in the first place). 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â