The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

14 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

I'll give him credit for the win tonight, but there's no way he's developed a strong chin and elite stamina given under 2 years ago he was being dropped at will by Lerena, a career cruiserweight, who was fringe world level at best.

It's debatable whether steroids develop a good chin. Look how many drug tests "Big baby" has failed and he still goes down, same with Dillian Whyte, and he got planted by Fury , who, let's face it, is not known for one punch knockouts.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

It's what's killed boxing a bit for me personally, they dodge the biggest fights while constantly talking them up

It'll sell like hot cakes but it'll be like Mayweather Vs Manny where neither of them are in their prime and the shine has long gone from the fight

UFC seems to get it right, boxers don't 

Because UFC is the premier promoter of MMA.

In boxing, you've got Matchroom, Queensbery, Golden Boy, Top Rank, PBC etc who without the Saudi cash don't want to work together.

But now the Saudi's are involved, it has become a lot like and will become more like the UFC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's what's killed boxing a bit for me personally, they dodge the biggest fights while constantly talking them up

It'll sell like hot cakes but it'll be like Mayweather Vs Manny where neither of them are in their prime and the shine has long gone from the fight

UFC seems to get it right, boxers don't 

I feel the same with regards to the inability to make the big fights happen (mainly at heavyweight).

With MMA, the UFC is the biggest promotion and, generally speaking, the best fighters will fight in the UFC (though ONE also has some cracking fights). It's so much easier to make the big fights happen, which is partly why I love it so much (though I won't mention the Jones/Miocic/Aspinall situation....). Boxing is such a mess with far too many organisations/promotors that it's an absolute minefield trying to make anything happen.

Yep, that punch at the end of the 1st would have knocked a horse out, right on the tip of AJ's chin, brutal. AJ did well to last until the 5th after that shot, big heart.

AJ showed signs off mental fatigue as well, didn't look up for it from the off and then started to fall apart after the 1st, tongue out, no gum shield, talking to Dubois and generally lost concentration pissing about.

His corner was hopeless as well, why he never kept his guard up to give himself some recovery time.....they should have been shouting at him to cover up,.instead he went toe to toe and dropped his guard, could be AJ's not listening to them but I don't think they told him to cover up. AJ v Fury should be the end of em both as boxers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Once that hunger goes, it's never the same. I really don't know how Ali was great for so long. Even after a enforced three year absence.

I agree with this. He claims to wanna  fight forever, but he lost the hunger many fights ago. He just seems to have no idea where to go next.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Rematch on its way. That's the next for AJ.

Eddie will never want AJ to retire, that's his cash cow.

You have to sell tickets and be, at least, competitive to remain relevant in boxing. How does a rematch sell?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You have to sell tickets and be, at least, competitive to remain relevant in boxing. How does a rematch sell?

I think it would, the new AJ blah blah, the hype. Maybe not 96k, but definately enough.

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I’d put my house on it being a sellout.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I think it would, the new AJ blah blah, the hype. Maybe not 96k, but definately enough.

Too one-sided for that. Just like Spence v Crawford, that's why Spence didn't acknowledge the rematch clause, there was no appetite for it.

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

Yep, that punch at the end of the 1st would have knocked a horse out, right on the tip of AJ's chin, brutal. AJ did well to last until the 5th after that shot, big heart.

AJ showed signs off mental fatigue as well, didn't look up for it from the off and then started to fall apart after the 1st, tongue out, no gum shield, talking to Dubois and generally lost concentration pissing about.

His corner was hopeless as well, why he never kept his guard up to give himself some recovery time.....they should have been shouting at him to cover up,.instead he went toe to toe and dropped his guard, could be AJ's not listening to them but I don't think they told him to cover up. AJ v Fury should be the end of em both as boxers

You can't teach them things really. It comes with instinct, some have it, some don't. Reminds me a little of Bruno.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You can't teach them things really. It comes with instinct, some have it, some don't. Reminds me a little of Bruno.

I see the bruno comparison,  bit robotic but have also seen AJ being more fluid .....on odd occasions.

Tough to be too critical of him tbh, felt sorry for him at the end.....ref was bad as well allowing him to be hit on the ropes, stopping the fight and then changing his mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

I see the bruno comparison,  bit robotic but have also seen AJ being more fluid .....on odd occasions.

Tough to be too critical of him tbh, felt sorry for him at the end.....ref was bad as well allowing him to be hit on the ropes, stopping the fight and then changing his mind. 

He has always seemed slightly manufactured, as opposed to possessing natural ability. That's not to take away his achievements, far from it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â