The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is it me or are DAZN trying desperately to make Dubois - Joshua a mega fight while the world looks on and shrugs in a sort of vague disinterest?

Sky are much the same, seems to be a big charm offensive ongoing across all the sporting platforms to convince us all to be grateful to his excellency (and the rest of the Saudi mafia) for gifting such amazing boxing events to the world.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is it me or are DAZN trying desperately to make Dubois - Joshua a mega fight while the world looks on and shrugs in a sort of vague disinterest?

Have you been watching the Guy Ritchie directed promotion film for the fight?

I thought It was done well fwiw. 

57 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Have you been watching the Guy Ritchie directed promotion film for the fight?

I thought It was done well fwiw. 

I haven't - good lord.

Never did two such underserving heavyweights gain such undeserved attention.

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I haven't - good lord.

How is Joshua undeserving? Whether you like him or not he's the biggest sell and picked the division up when it was on its arse. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not surprised, Joshua signed a lifetime promotional contract with Matchroom and DAZN broadcast all of Matchroom's shows.

Also, Ishmael Davis has replaced Liam Smith on the undercard after Smith pulled out. Think that's a great fight against Josh Kelly.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I haven't - good lord.

I kind of get where you're coming from, but I think the Brits will have a taste for it. Also, it's kind of a " Crossroads" fight for both, if AJ loses it may as well call it a day. Should Dubois lose, he may not call it a day, but it will say an awful lot about his limitations in relation to his ambition. 

16 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I kind of get where you're coming from, but I think the Brits will have a taste for it. Also, it's kind of a " Crossroads" fight for both, if AJ loses it may as well call it a day. Should Dubois lose, he may not call it a day, but it will say an awful lot about his limitations in relation to his ambition. 

AJ I think has been done for a while. I don't think his heart's in it, but he looks the part and Eddie can milk that. Dubois is really in a sh*t or get off the pot position, if he doesn't win this one, he'll just become someone they feed to the up and comers. The heavyweight division really could do with some new faces, it's really weak at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

AJ I think has been done for a while. I don't think his heart's in it, but he looks the part and Eddie can milk that. Dubois is really in a sh*t or get off the pot position, if he doesn't win this one, he'll just become someone they feed to the up and comers. The heavyweight division really could do with some new faces, it's really weak at the moment.

I think AJ has the right trainer behind him now, and has shown a marked improvement since employing him (his name escapes me). If I decide to have a flutter I'll take AJ from 10 to 12.

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think AJ has the right trainer behind him now, and has shown a marked improvement since employing him (his name escapes me). If I decide to have a flutter I'll take AJ from 10 to 12.

I think either AJ early or Dubois if it makes it past five rounds - Joshua still tanks in the second half of fights.

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think either AJ early or Dubois if it makes it past five rounds - Joshua still tanks in the second half of fights.

Does he really? Been the distance 5 times and only lost twice, both times to the number 1 fighter in Usyk who drowns everyone with output. He's gone late into a few fights now he's regulating his output much better. Dubois has never been more than 10 rounds and never been the distance. 

You'd be hard pressed to find many HW's that don't gas to a degree over a 12 rounder with a high output. Especially when getting clobbered by other 18 stone blokes.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Ben Davidson

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Does he really? Been the distance 5 times and only lost twice, both times to the number 1 fighter in Usyk who drowns everyone with output. He's gone late into a few fights now he's regulating his output much better. Dubois has never been more than 10 rounds and never been the distance. 

You'd be hard pressed to find many HW's that don't gas to a degree over a 12 rounder with a high output. Especially when getting clobbered by other 18 stone blokes.

I think Dubois will gas before AJ. I see so many similarities with Dubois and Bruno, although I actually think Bruno was better and certainly hit harder.

I always thought Dubois was terribly over  - hyped. 

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I think Dubois will gas before AJ. I see so many similarities with Dubois and Bruno, although I actually think Bruno was better and certainly hit harder.

I always thought Dubois was terribly over  - hyped. 

I'm leaning that way too. I'm seeing all the predictions go on about AJ early and Dubois late which with AJ having the greater power and Dubois being more of an accumulative puncher would seem more probable. However, I've a feeling AJ will sit behind the jab and right hand and open up late with Dubois soaking up too many right handers.

Dubois comes forward in straight lines and I doubt he's been able to change much in a short space of time since the Hergovic fight. I also think if it wasn't for the cut in that fight(from a clash of heads) I think the outcome would have been much different . Dubois isn't a huge puncher... his knockouts are against bums tbh. He may well catch AJ but I'm leaning towards AJ and Davidson being too smart and having the better gameplan to drag Dubois into deep water unless opportunity knocks earlier. 

Dubois is just too open for me to fancy his chances in this fight.

4 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

He's proved better than I thought he was and seems to suit the HW's and a more patient fighter.   

I just like his analytical mind. It's like with Football, you don't have to have played the game to be a manager. Angelo Dundee never boxed, but the greats were happy to heed his advice. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I just like his analytical mind. It's like with Football, you don't have have played the game to be a manager. Angelo Dundee never boxed, but the greats were happy to heed his advice. 

Very true... He's also very calm in the corner which I like. Never seems flustered which fighters like. Nothing worse than an emotional trainer. 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm leaning that way too. I'm seeing all the predictions go on about AJ early and Dubois late which with AJ having the greater power and Dubois being more of an accumulative puncher would seem more probable. However, I've a feeling AJ will sit behind the jab and right hand and open up late with Dubois soaking up too many right handers.

Dubois comes forward in straight lines and I doubt he's been able to change much in a short space of time since the Hergovic fight. I also think if it wasn't for the cut in that fight(from a clash of heads) I think the outcome would have been much different . Dubois isn't a huge puncher... his knockouts are against bums tbh. He may well catch AJ but I'm leaning towards AJ and Davidson being too smart and having the better gameplan to drag Dubois into deep water unless opportunity knocks earlier. 

Dubois is just too open for me to fancy his chances in this fight.

The bottom sentence is spot - on. When he gets caught, it's likely right on his "Village Inn!!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â