The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Listening to Talk Sport and Simon Jordon is really hating on AJ for some reason. He was trying his best to make a case for Dubois in their upcoming fight. Fwiw, I think AJ will come through, after an early scare. I still think Dubois is the modern day Bruno, only not as good as he was.

I've listened to the 'Talksport boxing show' that he does with Spencer Oliver on YouTube every now and again and he's always been negative towards AJ. No idea why.

Think AJ stops Dubios early, he was eating right hands for fun against Hrgovic and AJ hits a lot lot harder than Hrgovic does.

• Like 2

the first two he was ahead on both but just ran out of steam late on,  nothing wrong with his chin IMO he was probably too brave and maybe should have took a couple of 8 counts on one knee 

Just now, Follyfoot said:

the first two he was ahead on both but just ran out of steam late on,  nothing wrong with his chin IMO he was probably too brave and maybe should have took a couple of 8 counts on one knee 

Boxing IQ. He wasn't an instinctive fighter like Tyson or Witherspoon. I knew after the 2nd round against Terrible Tim that he was going to lose. I was at Wembley that night. Tim didn't even train for the fight, and ended up getting fleeced by Don King. 

Everyone loved Frank back in the day, but it's a shame he became such a parody, when looking back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Boxing IQ. He wasn't an instinctive fighter like Tyson or Witherspoon. I knew after the 2nd round against Terrible Tim that he was going to lose. I was at Wembley that night. Tim didn't even train for the fight, and ended up getting fleeced by Don King. 

Everyone loved Frank back in the day, but it's a shame he became such a parody, when looking back.

If you had a pound for every boxer that was....................

• Like 1

Beterbiev vs Bivol is official for October 12th. Can't wait. 

But the undercard bar Wardley vs Clarke is utterly horrendous.

Shakur vs Cordina 🤮

Eubank Jr vs Szeremeta 🤮

Opataia vs Massey 🤮

Whittaker vs Cameron 🤮

The only positive I can take that from is that Cameron is getting a payday from it after being screwed over by the BBOFC and turning his life around. Best of luck to him.

15 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Beterbiev vs Bivol is official for October 12th. Can't wait. 

But the undercard bar Wardley vs Clarke is utterly horrendous.

Shakur vs Cordina 🤮

Eubank Jr vs Szeremeta 🤮

Opataia vs Massey 🤮

Whittaker vs Cameron 🤮

The only positive I can take that from is that Cameron is getting a payday from it after being screwed over by the BBOFC and turning his life around. Best of luck to him.

I don't know, Shakur and Cordina could get interesting. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't know, Shakur and Cordina could get interesting. 

Cordina of a few years ago, maybe. But coming off a stoppage loss and moving up in weight it's not for me. 

The fight to be made in the lightweight division is Tank vs Shakur.

That undercard is just filled full of 'names' rather than actual proper fights.

But sometimes potential great fights become a damp squib, Mayweather v Pacquio a prime example. In contrast, sometimes fights that seem nothing to get excited about can turn out to be fight of the year. That's the beauty of boxing, it always provides surprises. 

Just reading the views of Sunny Edwards about a potential fight between Bam and Inoue. He gave the nod to Inoue, so do I, but what a match - up that would be between two fighters who hardly take a backward step. Always enjoy the thoughts of Sunny Edwards, he always comes across as a very bright lad.

Edited by sheepyvillian

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Just reading the views of Sunny Edwards about a potential fight between Bam and Inoue. He gave the nod to Inoue, so do I, but what a match - up that would be between two fighters who hardly take a backward step. Always enjoy the thoughts of Sunny Edwards, he always comes across as a very bright lad.

Inoue against Bam in a couple of years time is a super fight. Let Bam go through the weights naturally rather than rush him. Think Estrada has invoked the re-match so that's next, then maybe unify and then up to bantam in late summer of 2025.

5 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Inoue against Bam in a couple of years time is a super fight. Let Bam go through the weights naturally rather than rush him. Think Estrada has invoked the re-match so that's next, then maybe unify and then up to bantam in late summer of 2025.

Bam beats Estrada every time. I actually thought Edwards gave Bam more to think about. I really don't see Bam beating the Jap, as good as Bam is. I think inoue is no1 pound for pound just ahead of Crawford. He's the nearest thing I've seen to a prime Tyson, a fighter with that aura of fear, where opponents are beaten before entering the ring.

I agree, I would make Inoue favourite, only slightly though.

Bam has beaten 3 of the 4 greats at fly/super-fly convincingly, including two by stoppage. Inoue didn't fight any of them btw when he was going through the weights.

Just had a look at the upcoming schedules to see what was coming up and there's practically nothing in the UK apart from the AJ fight. Apart from Warren's card at Resorts world last month, there's been no decent cards either.

I know boxing is always quieter over the summer, but to have had 1 decent card in 3 months between the 3 major promoters is ridiculous. 

33 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Just had a look at the upcoming schedules to see what was coming up and there's practically nothing in the UK apart from the AJ fight. Apart from Warren's card at Resorts world last month, there's been no decent cards either.

I know boxing is always quieter over the summer, but to have had 1 decent card in 3 months between the 3 major promoters is ridiculous. 

There was always something decent at either world or domestic level not so long ago. Maybe the Saudi downside to mega cards ?

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

There was always something decent at either world or domestic level not so long ago. Maybe the Saudi downside to mega cards ?

It's defo a part of it. Wardley vs Clarke 2, Cacace vs Warrington are UK headliners in their own right, as well as possibly Buatsi vs Hutchinson.

But there's also just a complete dearth of talent who are ready to headline shows. That is the fault of the promoters and managers. I mean Johnny Fisher, who seems like a really nice lad with his head screwed on, is headlining shows because the coked up bunch of Essex b*llends who follow him buy a huge amount of tickets despite being English title level.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

It's defo a part of it. Wardley vs Clarke 2, Cacace vs Warrington are UK headliners in their own right, as well as possibly Buatsi vs Hutchinson.

But there's also just a complete dearth of talent who are ready to headline shows. That is the fault of the promoters and managers. I mean Johnny Fisher, who seems like a really nice lad with his head screwed on, is headlining shows because the coked up bunch of Essex b*llends who follow him buy a huge amount of tickets despite being English title level.

And his old man on TikTok in all fairness BOSH 

I noticed they are setting up a Chisora Romford Bull bout in the near future

Edited by Follyfoot

24 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I do miss the days of The Tower Ballroom, and watching that boxer from Castle Vale, whose name escapes me. I do remember he was useless. Funny bunch, those Castle Vale lad's. I knew a lad, from the Villa, named Terry, he got done for murdering a Copper's kid years ago. He was quite pally with Jimmy Coley and some of the other Kingstanding lot.

Edited by sheepyvillian

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I do miss the days of The Tower Ballroom, and watching that boxer from Castle Vale, whose name escapes me. I do remember he was useless. Funny bunch, those Castle Vale lad's. I knew a lad, from the Villa, named Terry, he got done for murdering a Copper's kid years ago. He was quite pally with Jimmy Coley and some of the other Kingstanding lot.

Cofflin? Terry that is?

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Folly, that's him, good lad! Please tell me he's still with us?

Most definitely, he got sent down again a few years back when a minibus of him and a few others you would know attacked a Cardiff main boozer  at 7:30 pm after a game down there. Spent a very interesting evening in his company well into blue nose territory for Gary Reid’s  35th birthday.(if you recall, he was the fella with the false ear) another Holte Enders in the sky

Just Google it it makes interesting reading

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â