The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Dennis McCann looked good on the Chisora/ Joyce Bill. He got the win over the guy who He is him to a draw in their previous fight. This, for me, was by far McCanns best performance, seems to have found something extra under new trainer, Joe McNally. 

I was a bit surprised at Archie Sharp getting the first loss on his record. He got a bad cut from the opponent's head and never quite looked the same after that. Maybe Sharpe isn't as good as some thought. 

On 28/07/2024 at 13:14, bannedfromHandV said:

Joyce looked awful, horrible (lack of) technique, powder puff punching, struggling to find anything redeemable frankly. He looked utterly amateur.

When you watch him performing like that, you're left to wonder just how he had the career he's had. Definitely time to call it a day, not too sure he sees it like that. 

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

When you watch him performing like that, you're left to wonder just how he had the career he's had. Definitely time to call it a day, not too sure he sees it like that. 

I would imagine that it boils down to money because I don’t think he’s had the big bucks he probably thinks he deserved as an Olympic medallist et cetera

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

I would imagine that it boils down to money because I don’t think he’s had the big bucks he probably thinks he deserved as an Olympic medallist et cetera

He should have been given a better opportunity after beating Dubois. I honestly think Warren was expecting Joe to lose, I know I wasn't and won a few bob on the outcome. It's just a shame that boxing politics got in the way, because the Joyce that beat DD would have given any heavyweight trouble. A proper snide is Warren, just ask Terry Marsh.😉

• Like 1

Joyce definitely needs to call it a day, was it the 10th round where he fell over/slipped in slow motion after missing with a shot? 

Those two beatings that Zhang gave him have finished him.

Still had an incredibly good career though, decorated amateur (including Olympic silver but should have been gold) and a British, Commonwealth and European title winner as a pro.

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Seems to be a few in the boxing circles tipping Madrimov to pull off an upset over Crawford. Not for me, the Crawford who blitzed Spence looked unbeatable. 

Don't think Madrimov will pull off the upset, but can definitely see him causing Crawford problems. Some really good fights on that undercard as well.

Separately, Tank vs Shakur is apparently agreed for Nov 23rd.

• Like 1

I know that there has been a couple of controversial scorecards, but Team GB are currently 0/5 so far with only one fighter left.

There's definitely going to be no rush to sign the Olympians as there have been in previous years apart from Orie as heavyweights will always get signed.

52 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

I know that there has been a couple of controversial scorecards, but Team GB are currently 0/5 so far with only one fighter left.

There's definitely going to be no rush to sign the Olympians as there have been in previous years apart from Orie as heavyweights will always get signed.

Tbf, we were due a bad Olympics where the boxing is concerned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

Probably for the best so there isn't another Audley Harrison.

• Haha 1

Should Crawford be successful tomorrow, I would rather him fight Boots before anyone else. That, for me, would be a mouth - watering prospect. I would still fancy Bud, but he needs to fight Boots sooner than later. 

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Should Crawford be successful tomorrow, I would rather him fight Boots before anyone else. That, for me, would be a mouth - watering prospect. I would still fancy Bud, but he needs to fight Boots sooner than later. 

Agreed, the Boots fight is the only fight to make for Crawford if he wins tomorrow. Forget about this potential ridiculous mismatch against Canelo.

The only fight that Canelo should be having is against Benavidez.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Agreed, the Boots fight is the only fight to make for Crawford if he wins tomorrow. Forget about this potential ridiculous mismatch against Canelo.

The only fight that Canelo should be having is against Benavidez.

On the same bill, Vegas, not SA. Fights of that magnitude demand an atmosphere to match.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

On the same bill, Vegas, not SA. Fights of that magnitude demand an atmosphere to match.

If that card were to ever happen, I'd be breaking the bank, selling off all my possessions and finding every penny down the back of the sofa to make sure I'd be there for that. 😂

Sadly, I think we'll get Canelo facing bums like Berlanga, who let's be honest he could beat with one hand tied behind his back. 

Just now, Avfc96 said:

If that card were to ever happen, I'd be breaking the bank, selling off all my possessions and finding every penny down the back of the sofa to make sure I'd be there for that. 😂

Sadly, I think we'll get Canelo facing bums like Berlanga, who let's be honest he could beat with one hand tied behind his back. 

He never should have got that draw in the first bout with Triple G. I can accept the 2nd fight, but he lost the first fight. You could say that same regarding Kovalev with the Ward, when most thought the Russian won. This is all in my humble opinion though. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

He never should have got that draw in the first bout with Triple G. I can accept the 2nd fight, but he lost the first fight. You could say that same regarding Kovalev with the Ward, when most thought the Russian won. This is all in my humble opinion though. 

Completely agree, Canelo lost the first fight with GGG. I'd say a draw for the second fight but could be persuaded otherwise. Likewise with Kovalev, I did think he won that but boxing will be boxing unfortunately.

Regarding the UK boxers in the Olympics, can someone educate me... I thought that funding via the lottery to the various sports was directly related to how they did at the Olympics.

For example if your particular sport, in this case boxing, archery or Judo, did poorly at the Olympics then consequently funding for these disciplines is reduced. If this is correct then it seems a bit perverse to be honest as with less money these disciplines will continue to struggle to achieve success. A real "catch 22 problem"

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â