The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Joshua really should pack it in - he's just being lined up to be someone's feeder before he's taken away - we'll see someone put beating Joshua on their record and count it as an achievement as part of build their own career.

Does how bad he is now reflect badly on Usyk?

Much of Usyk's reputation is based on beating Joshua twice and in retrospect, that's probably not that much of an achievement.

Only to casual fans. Usyk is the most technically gifted HW out there imo. Won gold at the world championships, Olympic gold, crusierweight champ in 15 fights as a pro and now holds 3 of the 4 HW titles whilst still being undefeated. Only fools question Usyk's pedigree. 

His only drawbacks are not having serious knockout power at HW or the range of bigger fighters. He excels everywhere else. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Only to casual fans. Usyk is the most technically gifted HW out there imo. Won gold at the world championships, Olympic gold, crusierweight champ in 15 fights as a pro and now holds 3 of the 4 HW titles whilst still being undefeated. Only fools question Usyk's pedigree.

He can only beat what's in front of him I suppose and I'm certainly not doubting his pedigree as a fighter - but there's an argument right now to say that the best heavyweight he's ever beaten is Derek Chisora.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He can only beat what's in front of him I suppose and I'm certainly not doubting his pedigree as a fighter - but there's an argument right now to say that the best heavyweight he's ever beaten is Derek Chisora.

As poor as Joshua looked last night he's still better than Chisora who has only ever been a gate keeper at world level. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

As poor as Joshua looked last night he's still better than Chisora who has only ever been a gate keeper at world level. 

I'd put it as a pretty even fight - Joshua is a triumph of marketing and management. I think he had a chance to go out on his shield in a really big fight a couple of years ago, but he's basically meat for up and comers now - Fury would walk over him, Wilder would despatch him in short order, Joyce would wear him out and Usyk would look like he was fighting him in slow motion - he's a mile away from the top order.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I'd put it as a pretty even fight - Joshua is a triumph of marketing and management. I think he had a chance to go out on his shield in a really big fight a couple of years ago, but he's basically meat for up and comers now - Fury would walk over him, Wilder would despatch him in short order, Joyce would wear him out and Usyk would look like he was fighting him in slow motion - he's a mile away from the top order.

More even than previously but Chisora's own punch resistance has been lessening in recent fights. Chisora has done nothing other than having a couple of mediocre wins against other gatekeepers. He's been marketed very well as 'War Chisora' but has never looked like winning a title. Everytime he's stepped up he's been schooled.

I also think people put too much credit on Wilder. Other than a big punch he's technically very poor, has dreadful footwork, doesn't fight backwards and other than Ortiz and Fury has fought tin cans all his career. Fury proved how easy Wilder could be dominated and dispatched and I don't think his punch resistance is all that either. 

I agree on the Joshua vs the others though and the reasoning. 

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

More even than previously but Chisora's own punch resistance has been lessening in recent fights. Chisora has done nothing other than having a couple of mediocre wins against other gatekeepers. He's been marketed very well as 'War Chisora' but has never looked like winning a title. Everytime he's stepped up he's been schooled.

I also think people put too much credit on Wilder. Other than a big punch he's technically very poor, has dreadful footwork, doesn't fight backwards and other than Ortiz and Fury has fought tin cans all his career. Fury proved how easy Wilder could be dominated and dispatched and I don't think his punch resistance is all that either. 

I agree on the Joshua vs the others though and the reasoning. 

It is incredible, how many times he has been allowed to step up over the years as well based on those mediocre performances. Saying that I immensely enjoyed his fight against Takam. He’s a very lucky fellow to have made the money he has off the back of his ability.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

It is incredible, how many times he has been allowed to step up over the years as well based on those mediocre performances. Saying that I immensely enjoyed his fight against Takam. He’s a very lucky fellow to have made the money he has off the back of his ability.

Spot on. He's beaten Pulev, Price and Takam and people think he's some sort of killer lol.  

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Spot on. He's beaten Pulev, Price and Takam and people think he's some sort of killer lol.  

What are even more impressive is the way. He has managed to get a lot of these fights on pay-per-view. Let’s be honest he’s made a career about not getting knocked out by Klitschko and turning up to press conferences/weigh ins with a scarf on his face and the following mostly inevitable “game” performance concluding with him lying on the canvas and birds tweeting in a circle round his canister 🤣

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Joshua really should pack it in - he's just being lined up to be someone's feeder before he's taken away - we'll see someone put beating Joshua on their record and count it as an achievement as part of build their own career.

Does how bad he is now reflect badly on Usyk?

Much of Usyk's reputation is based on beating Joshua twice and in retrospect, that's probably not that much of an achievement.

I agree, he's lost his love for the game. The eye of the tiger if you like. He just doesn't want to risk getting hit anymore. He was an animal until Klitchko. Its all about money and the brand now. Im just not remotly intrested.

• Like 2

Joshua and Hearn calling out a Fury fight this summer tells me all I need to know. It’s the end of the road, they know he’ll lose but it’s a big final payday. The fire has gone. 

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Joshua and Hearn calling out a Fury fight this summer tells me all I need to know. It’s the end of the road, they know he’ll lose but it’s a big final payday. The fire has gone. 

A million per cent. He is finished 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Genie said:

Yeah, that'll be his retirement fund, if it was ever needed, Hearn desperate for the last AJ pay day too no doubt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Ring magazine reporting that Spence - Crawford done for June 17th in Vegas. Announcement to be made on the night of Tank - Garcia. Please let this be true 🤞

Omg yes !!!

Thia ia  such a hard fight to call. Id go spence just on size. Who you backing Johnny?

Edited by Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Crawford, but ever so slightly. Great fight. 

This will be bettee than what uysk fury would have been

I love Crawford ans thata who i want to win. But got spence as favourite 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â