The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Lolz Kevin Mitchell, the chief Boxing writer for the Guardian, reckons Pacquiao won the fight?!?! I wouldn't even wipe my arse with that shite lefty crap paper but he has to be trolling surely?!

Mayweather to move up to fight Cotto for the middleweight title in his last fight is what I keep reading. I hope not. Zzzzzz

poor old Pacquiao was fighting injured, he hurt his shoulder 3 weeks ago and was fighting at 60% what a crock of shit, **** hell first off he claims he won and didn't say jack shit about carrying an injury then he was fighting him with one arm, make your mind up Pac Man.

it could only be more embarrasing if he claimed it was his toe

Is David Haye his advisor?

I know it's hard for the haters to swallow , but Mayweather is a genius , he 'll retire undefeated of thar I have no doubt whatsoever , you would struggle to hit him in a phone box . To see a fighter of manny's class be schooled in such a maner was astonishing . Imo he's the best defensive fighter ever .

Everyone going on about the hugging from Mayweather, there was less that 90 seconds of it through the whole fight.

I'm sick of hearing about it now, mayweather won, it wasn't pretty but it never is with mayweather he had never boxed to entertain he boxes to win no matter what people think of his style.

Manny lost, he has had a great career but he just couldn't get near Floyd, first he said he won then he blamed his injured shoulder, does that mean he in insinuating that he won it one handed??? Also if the shoulder was such a problem and they knew he had a torn muscle three weeks ago why go ahead with a fight of this magnitude which has cost so many people so much money? You choose to fight injured you can't complain if it hampers you in the fight

Job done they've made their money we've spent ours let's just get on with it and wait for Tyson Fury to get KTFO by someone

I know it's hard for the haters to swallow , but Mayweather is a genius , he 'll retire undefeated of thar I have no doubt whatsoever , you would struggle to hit him in a phone box . To see a fighter of manny's class be schooled in such a maner was astonishing . Imo he's the best defensive fighter ever .

I'd argue he is also one of the greatest fighters ever, if you look back through his fights the list of opponents is amazing. Only Castillo really got close and De La Hoya for 5 rounds but he has made everyone else look stupid in the ring. The 1st Maidana fight was a messy affair also and quite close, the thing I like about Mayweather is that his only rematches have been when it was close. The rematches never were, the guy is without doubt a genius. FWIW I think Manny has made himself look aright tit post fight

Mayweather is not too dissimilar to Wladimir Klitschko in the sense that they are both great at neutralising their opponents by deploying tactics such as clinching and holding on the inside, with Mayweather also knowing exactly when to 'run' and when to stand his ground - they fundamentally prevent opponents from getting their own work off (Andre Ward is great at this too).

I think Mayweather's resume is very good, and he's certainly the among best if not the best fighter of his generation (by that I mean the past 15 years), he's one of the best defenders in the modern era and best 'neutralisers' ever. So I guess you have to consider him an all time great but I'm not sure I'd place him in the top 10 to ever grace the sport, in fact I wouldn't place him on that list at all. 

I'm glad this fight is over and frankly I'm glad Mayweather is retiring soon as that will see the end of his odious fans who seem to be more of a fan of him than the sport itself.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I'd argue he is also one of the greatest fighters ever, if you look back through his fights the list of opponents is amazing. Only Castillo really got close and De La Hoya for 5 rounds but he has made everyone else look stupid in the ring. The 1st Maidana fight was a messy affair also and quite close, the thing I like about Mayweather is that his only rematches have been when it was close. The rematches never were, the guy is without doubt a genius. FWIW I think Manny has made himself look aright tit post fight

Castillo was very unlucky not to win that fight, he was IMO robbed of victory in the first but the rematch was a close but clear win to Mayweather. De La Hoya was totally past his prime but still took some rounds, I think a prime De La Hoya at welterweight would have probably beat him. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Mayweather is not too dissimilar to Wladimir Klitschko in the sense that they are both great at neutralising their opponents by deploying tactics such as clinching and holding on the inside, with Mayweather also knowing exactly when to 'run' and when to stand his ground - they fundamentally prevent opponents from getting their own work off (Andre Ward is great at this too).

I think Mayweather's resume is very good, and he's certainly the among best if not the best fighter of his generation (by that I mean the past 15 years), he's one of the best defenders in the modern era and best 'neutralisers' ever. So I guess you have to consider him an all time great but I'm not sure I'd place him in the top 10 to ever grace the sport, in fact I wouldn't place him on that list at all. 

I'm glad this fight is over and frankly I'm glad Mayweather is retiring soon as that will see the end of his odious fans who seem to be more of a fan of him than the sport itself.

The Man Utd fans of the boxing world

Castillo was very unlucky not to win that fight, he was IMO robbed of victory in the first but the rematch was a close but clear win to Mayweather. De La Hoya was totally past his prime but still took some rounds, I think a prime De La Hoya at welterweight would have probably beat him. 

I agree, I thought Castillo was unlucky 1st time round too. De La Hoya just ran out of gas in the middle rounds after a great start. Mayweather is not one of my favourite fighters however I do really appreciate his ring craft, for me he will go down as one of the all time greats but that's my opinion. I would rather watch fighters who go on the front foot all day long but what Mayweather has achieved and the ease with which he makes his opponents look ordinary is a very rare talent indeed. I would say he is a much more technical fighter than Wlad who uses his superior size and reach advantage most of the time. 

Ive lost any respect i had for Pacquaio now, coming up with new excuses everyday and he and his lunatic fans still claim he won.

Todays excuse is that The Nevada State Atheletic Commission sabotaged him.

Thats after saying he had a shoulder injury.

Gtfo and accept defeat like a man ffs

Wow, now the NSAC are thinking of sueing Pac lmao.

Pacquaio ticked 'no' on the NSAC questionaire on the question regarding injuries.

Pacquio is looking pathetic right now

Edited by YGabbana

Defensive fighters can be hugely entertaining to watch.  Pernell Whitaker was amazing. 

Floyd really isn't cut from that sort of cloth though. On top of an elite defence,  he's always looking to flat out neutralise his opponent by deploying spoiler tactics such as clinching and running. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's obviously highly effective, and other great boxers in the sport, such as Wladimir Klitschko deploy similar tactics (Wlad obviously clinches and holds rather than running). 

Defensive fighters can indeed be very entertaining, Sweet Pea was a amazing, so was James Toney and if you want to get really historical, then look at Willie Pep. The difference between these types of defenders and Floyd is that they were more willing to stay in the pocket longer, so IMO they made for much more entertaining fighters. Throwing lead rights and then immediately holding, or jabbing and running, doesn't, for me at least, make for particularly entertaining boxing. 

It's interesting that Floyd, being a very defensive boxer, has had no problems selling his 'brand' when you have someone like Rigondeaux, who (from what I've seen) is defensive but incredibly dangerous at the same time, who struggles to get a fight with people like Quigg and Frampton.

Mayweather is American and he speaks English.  It's a lot easier to sell your brand with those two things going for you.  There isn't much Rigondeaux can do about not being American but the guy should have learned to speak English by now. If you want to fight in the richest market in the world (USA) then being able to talk to the audience is key to your popularity. 

Mayweather is American and he speaks English.  It's a lot easier to sell your brand with those two things going for you.  There isn't much Rigondeaux can do about not being American but the guy should have learned to speak English by now. If you want to fight in the richest market in the world (USA) then being able to talk to the audience is key to your popularity. 

Pretty much. Unlike Rigondeaux he's been competing in the glamour division of the sport - welterweight really has been the division for the past 10 years, overtaking the heavyweight division for depth, quality and significance. 

On top of that, Floyd's social media team is excellent and have driven his brand to new levels with the whole 'TBE' malarkey.  

Rigo is an exceptional talent and although I'd pick him over Frampton, Rigo is getting on in age, he's 35 this year, and Frampton is the naturally bigger and stronger man. Rigo has been caught and dropped a decent amount of times so Frampton's power would make it interesting assuming he can get beyond Rigo's significantly greater reach and movement. I'd like to see that fight.

I think it'd resemble Rigo's fight with Donaire, the skills deficit will be apparent and Rigo will win most of the rounds, but Frampton would probably have a couple of decent moments where he lands big and possibly drops Rigo. In fact if I had to guess a scorecard I'd say something like 118-111 (Frampton with a knockdown).

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Rigo is an exceptional talent and although I'd pick him over Frampton, Rigo is getting on in age, he's 35 this year, and Frampton is the naturally bigger and stronger man. Rigo has been caught and dropped a decent amount of times so Frampton's power would make it interesting assuming he can get beyond Rigo's significantly greater reach and movement. I'd like to see that fight.

I think it'd resemble Rigo's fight with Donaire, the skills deficit will be apparent and Rigo will win most of the rounds, but Frampton would probably have a couple of decent moments where he lands big and possibly drops Rigo. In fact if I had to guess a scorecard I'd say something like 118-111 Frampton (with a knockdown).

Wow 118-111 really? Some prediction.

Rigo would win a UD.

Edited by YGabbana

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â