The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I had it 116-112 to Mayweather. Mayweather did a great job at neutralising most of Pacquiao's angular movement and very masterfully controlled the distance. Pacquiao had his moments and delivered the more hurtful punches, but Floyd's jab and straight right were on point and he introduced the left hook from around the 6th round and had that backing Pacquiao off. 

Pacquiao really didn't have enough fire in his belly for this one, he started off sluggish, picked it up but then ended the fight sluggishly, Mayweather won the last two rounds and that made the victory clear, I'm surprised Pacquiao didn't throw more caution to the wind and take more risks in those last two rounds. Pacquiao's successes in the fight came off of volume punching and he really should have done more of that in those rounds. 

Anyway, it was Mayweather's control of the distance that won it, he's the best in the business at doing it, masterclass.

What's next for Mayweather? Quite possibly Khan, but I'd like to see him fight Thurman as I think Thurman will guarantee action and a legit. threat. For Pacquiao? Well, he's had a great career and should probably call it a day unless he sees value in moving down to 140lbs.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Glad I didn't bother paying to watch that.

As much as Mayweather's record is very impressive and as a boxer he is top class when I watch boxing I want to see someone getting knocked out!

He has knocked only 2 people out in about 9 years - so not entertainment in my view!

Glad I didn't bother paying to watch that.

As much as Mayweather's record is very impressive and as a boxer he is top class when I watch boxing I want to see someone getting knocked out!

He has knocked only 2 people out in about 9 years - so not entertainment in my view!

That is where people differ, Mayweather was tenchically brilliant last night, whilst his fights are not always exciting you can always appreciate what he does.

I scored it 117 - 111 to Floyd, I thought the way he comanded the centre of the ring at times was brilliant, I don't think there was many people expecting him to fight in that way, my mate tried to tell me that he thought Manny won it because of his work rate, utter bollocks, he threw like a mad man when he had Floyd on the ropes but not one of his punches were getting through, I know he caught him a few times but it just wasn't anywhere near enough to justify an even close score card.

Oh and Manny made himself sound like a word removed afterwards as well 'I thought I did enough to win, he kept moving away from me, I was the more active fighter, he has no power and is no Margarito or Cotto' that actually surprised me, I would have expected him to be a bit more gratious in defeat.

Having said that in the earlier rounds Mayweather was spoiling quite a bit, every time Manny got close to him he was grabbing and holding on, he didn't do it nearly as much after the 4th round though.

It would be interesting to hear what Roach has to say about it, he has been shooting his mouth off constantly about this fight and banging on about his **** blueprint to beating Floyd, hopefully he will crawl back under his rock now.

• Like 1

Boring fight, as expected.

Manny hasn't been the same since Marquez knocked him out, the warning signs were there when he couldn't even finish off Algieri.

118 - 110 for me.

Floyd could fight again next week if he wanted.

poor old Pacquiao was fighting injured, he hurt his shoulder 3 weeks ago and was fighting at 60% what a crock of shit, **** hell first off he claims he won and didn't say jack shit about carrying an injury then he was fighting him with one arm, make your mind up Pac Man.

it could only be more embarrasing if he claimed it was his toe

poor old Pacquiao was fighting injured, he hurt his shoulder 3 weeks ago and was fighting at 60% what a crock of shit, **** hell first off he claims he won and didn't say jack shit about carrying an injury then he was fighting him with one arm, make your mind up Pac Man.

it could only be more embarrasing if he claimed it was his toe

It's possible but then few fighters go into fight night 100% and if it was so bad they should have just postponed the fight. Mayweather was making him gun shy and reset his feet which dragged down his activity levels and Pacquiao really just didn't seem willing to throw enough caution to the wind later on. I reckon that's due to a combination of a couple of factors - Floyd's tactics, Pacquiao's lack of fire and there was an element of him just cashing out. 

The fight definitely had shades of Leonard Duran 3 for me - highly tactical, largely uneventful, pretty boring and Pacquiao, like Duran in that fight, looked pretty lethargic, oh and both fighters of course being at the end of their careers.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Outboxed, outclassed. Pacquaio and his fanatic fans claiming he won its embarassing.

Happy the whole debate is put to bed now.

It's not though is it?  The fight should have happened years ago. People (myself included) said that going in. No matter what happens it won't dictate which fighter was the best of the first decade or so of the 21st century. For me that's still Manny Pacquiao. 

• Like 1

See for me that wasnt boring, i admire the skill and intelligence of Floyds performance. Its mainly people that hate floyd and wanted pac to win so badly that are saying it was boring.

Floyd controlled the fight and didnt allow pac to get near him

Mayweather said he injured his right and left shoulder but didn't complain about it, it is possible I just think that Pacquiao is being pretty ungracious in defeat, he didn't give Mayweather any credit after the fight and insisted that he won it and then straight after he says it is hard to fight him with one hand

• Like 1

Outboxed, outclassed. Pacquaio and his fanatic fans claiming he won its embarassing.

It's not though is it?  The fight should have happened years ago. People (myself included) said that going in. No matter what happens it won't dictate which fighter was the best of the first decade or so of the 21st century. For me that's still Manny Pacquiao. 

Its definitely not put to bed, I am glad that Floyd won but it is still impossible to say who would have won 5 years ago, I think a lot of people will say that looking at last nights performance they can't see how Manny could have done it, that's not the case though, they were both different fighters then.

I can't see the point in a rematch, it was a comprehensive shut out from Floyd, he has nothing to prove and I think that despite all of the hot air he has been blowing Pac knows that at this point in his career he has probably missed his chance to beat Mayweather

Its definitely not put to bed, I am glad that Floyd won but it is still impossible to say who would have won 5 years ago, I think a lot of people will say that looking at last nights performance they can't see how Manny could have done it, that's not the case though, they were both different fighters then.

Indeed.  I don't think Manny is the fighter at 147 as he was at 130-135, and I certainly don't think he is a full time boxer any more.  He's as much a politician these days and those demands on his time and his mileage (36 years of age, pro since 1995, 65 bouts) have taken their toll.  Glad he got paid, but losing this will do about as much to his legacy as getting sparked out by Hearns did for Roberto Duran's.  Not much. 

I can't see the point in a rematch, it was a comprehensive shut out from Floyd, he has nothing to prove and I think that despite all of the hot air he has been blowing Pac knows that at this point in his career he has probably missed his chance to beat Mayweather

There isn't much point in a sporting sense, but if this were about sport then they would have met sometime between say, 2007 and 2010.   There is plenty of $$$ to be had in a rematch, if the promoters think they can make it worth their while then they will.  I'm not sure it will capture the public imagination second time round to be honest.  

Edited by The_Rev

Nice to see Pacquiao taking the Hayemaker route and blaming an injury he sustained in training

I Didn't get the hatred towards mayweather from the crowd after the fight

I know people wanted Pacman to win as he was the "good guy" but they should have gave Floyd more credit he schooled Pacman all night long and made him look like a bum tbh it was never a close fight

It was a fight for the boxing purists out there i do not know what Pacman was thinking saying he won the fight at the end maybe he was suffering from concussion because of one of Floyd's check hooks

Its the whole fighting in September thing again though isn't it, will Khan be willing to put his religion on the back burner to take the fight? you know what Mayweather is like he will only fight him on his terms and it would appear that a September fight would put Mayweather 1 - 0 up straight away

Edited by leemond2008

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â