The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I've quite enjoyed the boxing tonight

Skeet's outing didn't really tell us much about him following the loss to Gavin but he beat what was in front of him and that's all you can do.

Eubank Jr is obsessed with the right uppercut but he looked good, the other fellow was tough as ****. Referee should have stopped it long before he did

Fury was...well Fury, he is a better boxer than singer

No real surprises in the Frampton fight either

Ward has only had two fights since he beat Froch in 2011.  He didn't fight at all in 2014. 

Froch might just vacate the title and try to organise something against Chavez Jr if Chavez Jr wins his fight next month. 

Edited by The_Rev

Theoretically, this would be Froch's best time to fight Ward, given how rusty he is, although I'm sure Ward would be keen to tune up. Froch has a decision to make, he was embarrassed recently by Hopkins, Chavez is a good fight and I'm sure would have a bit of needle in the build up, so I'm looking forward to...

MgLrgcP.jpg

NBC is doing Saturday night boxing now...can only be a good thing for the sport, and fans. Major free network...prime time broadcast. Pretty cool.

Indeed, the glory days of boxing were certainly not the PPV times, it was the network TV times where boxing had significantly greater reach. 

Two interesting and fun fights tonight:

Broner vs Molina

Thurman vs Guerrero

• Like 1

NBC is doing Saturday night boxing now...can only be a good thing for the sport, and fans. Major free network...prime time broadcast. Pretty cool.

Indeed, the glory days of boxing were certainly not the PPV times, it was the network TV times where boxing had significantly greater reach.

Two interesting and fun fights tonight:

Broner vs Molina

Thurman vs Guerrero

Was just about to post this..some good cards tonight, Thurman Guerrero will be over quick i think

Also talk of Khan V Cotto happening in June

I'm not sure what to think about the Thurman fight. I think Thurman's power is a tad overrated but his boxing skills a little underrated. Guerrero, if he's anything, is extremely tough, and he has a pretty good beard, is decent on the inside and does throw short punches. It's entirely possible that Thurman nails him early, and Guerrero is definitely past his prime and very open - he's having a lot of wars, against very average opponents like Kamagei. But I feel that it might be Guerrero causing a shock early, perhaps landing some good shots, perhaps rocking Thurman a little, before Thurman settles down to his boxing and begins to pull away with the cleaner, harder shots. We'll see.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Interestingly, Broner failed to make weight and according to Joe Goossen, spent 3 days in the sauna trying to sweat off the pounds, you have to wonder what sort of effect trying to got so much weight in a such a short space of time could have on Broner. Molina could be in the best position possible for the upset, he's crude but a genuine puncher, and Broner is a very flat footed boxer in general...

Theoretically, this would be Froch's best time to fight Ward, given how rusty he is, although I'm sure Ward would be keen to tune up. Froch has a decision to make, he was embarrassed recently by Hopkins, Chavez is a good fight and I'm sure would have a bit of needle in the build up, so I'm looking forward to...

MgLrgcP.jpg

Missed out Stinging Jab

He's always harping on about his "Stinging Jab"

So I guess 'big time' boxing's return to US Network TV was a little bit underwhelming.

Broner - Molina. Molina looked a little shot, didn't look willing to let his hands go other than in the 3rd and final rounds. Broner did well, used the jab very well and threw a lot of feints, which is partially to blame for Molina's lack of output, the feints confused him and forced him to reset his feet, so he was often not in the position to work his offence, which at best is limited anyway. I felt with Broner's weight issues that he might be a little bit weakened and vulnerable, but he took the punch well when it did land and just looked much stronger than Molina.

My card, 11-1 Broner.

Thurman - Guerrero. It was a pretty good fight, Thurman extremely impressive, showing the full range of his boxing ability, switching between boxing off the back foot very effectively with stepping forward and applying pressure. Guerrero had some OK moments early, where he got some nice counters in, Thurman pulled away but Guerrero really came back after the knockdown and put lots of pressure on the tiring Thurman, making it a lot more competitive.

Thurman did have a very nasty hematoma on his forehead, caused by a headbutt, and after the fight was rushed to hospital feeling unwell, so hopefully this wasn't too damaging for him, he'd be well advised to take a relatively long break, maybe only fight once more this year. Guerrero, if anything, is a tough SOB and will make it rough and tough for you. My card, 10-2 Thurman. 

Just a note on NBC. They have a lot of catching up to do from a production standpoint. The blow by blow commentator Marv Albert is well past his prime, he was calling lots of shots for Thurman that didn't even land (maybe the team were briefed to talk up Thurman beforehand) and really just wasn't that good. Ray Leonard, one of my all time favorites, is similarly past his prime as a commentator and I felt didn't do a great job. 

Other than that, they didn't allow the fighters to have their own entrance music, and the corner mics were censored for swearing, which I guess you have to expect from 'network' TV as opposed to PPV. 

But overall, as a product, it has quite a way to go.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

So I guess 'big time' boxing's return to US Network TV was a little bit underwhelming.

Broner - Molina. Molina looked a little shot, didn't look willing to let his hands go other than in the 3rd and final rounds. Broner did well, used the jab very well and threw a lot of feints, which is partially to blame for Molina's lack of output, the feints confused him and forced him to reset his feet, so he was often not in the position to work his offence, which at best is limited anyway. I felt with Broner's weight issues that he might be a little bit weakened and vulnerable, but he took the punch well when it did land and just looked much stronger than Molina.

My card, 11-1 Broner.

Thurman - Guerrero. It was a pretty good fight, Thurman extremely impressive, showing the full range of his boxing ability, switching between boxing off the back foot very effectively with stepping forward and applying pressure. Guerrero had some OK moments early, where he got some nice counters in, Thurman pulled away but Guerrero really came back after the knockdown and put lots of pressure on the tiring Thurman, making it a lot more competitive.

Thurman did have a very nasty hematoma on his forehead, caused by a headbutt, and after the fight was rushed to hospital feeling unwell, so hopefully this wasn't too damaging for him, he'd be well advised to take a relatively long break, maybe only fight once more this year. Guerrero, if anything, is a tough SOB and will make it rough and tough for you. My card, 10-2 Thurman.

Just a note on NBC. They have a lot of catching up to do from a production standpoint. The blow by blow commentator Marv Albert is well past his prime, he was calling lots of shots for Thurman that didn't even land (maybe the team were briefed to talk up Thurman beforehand) and really just wasn't that good. Ray Leonard, one of my all time favorites, is similarly past his prime as a commentator and I felt didn't do a great job.

Other than that, they didn't allow the fighters to have their own entrance music, and the corner mics were censored for swearing, which I guess you have to expect from 'network' TV as opposed to PPV.

The HBO commentators are the worst especially in Pacquaio fights, getting excited over punches that hit gloves/arms. I hope they arnt involved in the Mayweather Paquaio fight

I'd like to see Thurman take on Khan, I think that would be a cracking fight.

I ended up skipping a lot of the Broner - Molina fight, it was so one sided it was boring, Broner did look pretty good though.

The ghost is a tough bastard ain't he, I thought he was going to stay down when Thurman dropped him, that just isn't in his make up though is it.

As for NBC at first I thought it was quite refreshing seeing the fighters come down on their own, but the whole event just seemed to lack that razzmatazz that others have.

I don't think the crowd helped with the atmosphere though, even the commentators on boxnation spotted how lacklustre the crowd were.

Nice to hear that they are putting it on network tv but production wise that was behind channel 5's attempts

Is it next week when they announce who (that sky) has won the rights for mayweather v pac man

Edited by leemond2008

My card, 11-1 Broner.

The HBO commentators are the worst especially in Pacquaio fights, getting excited over punches that hit gloves/arms. I hope they arnt involved in the Mayweather Paquaio fight

They clearly will be as the fight will be hosted as a joint effort between Sho and HBO, like the Lewis Tyson fight 13 years ago. So you'll be getting a combination of Sho and HBO guys, most likely Jim Lampley, Al Bernstein and Roy Jones doing the commentary, with Jim Grey and Max Kellerman doing behind the scenes stuff and pre/post fight interviews, and James Brown and Paulie doing the pre fight show. 

I personally don't find the HBO commentary too bad, a bit annoying at times but then so are the Sho commentators. Mauro Ranallo is probably the worst play by play commentator I've ever heard, Jim Lampley, as much as a prick he is, is infinitely preferable simply cos he has a better voice. 

Let's face it, networks are always going to be biased toward their cash cows, or the fighters they feel can become cash cows, HBO do it with Pacquiao and Golovkin. Sho are more than happy to talk up Floyd, and their commentary in Canelo's fight with Trout and Lara were extremely biased (Canelo was Sho's man at the time). There was also obvious bias toward Broner in his fight with Maidana, again because Broner was at that point a big acquisition (from HBO) for them.

So ultimately I think a commentary team of Lampley, Roy Jones and Al Bernstein is just about right, as long as Ranallo and Kellerman aren't anywhere near commentary I'll be happy.

•  
  •  

it'll be hbo, and they'll make a fortune

Edited by maqroll

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â