The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Lomachenko puts on a master class to beat Gary Russell Jr for the vacant WBO title, making Lomachenko a world champ after 3 'official' professional fights. Lomanchenko is simply an excellent technician and took the much hyped Russell to school excellent stuff.

Guerrero vs Kamegai was really entertaining war from start to finish, I really don't know why Guerrero insists on going to war so often when he's a good boxer from the outside.

I guess he technically hasn't got there on merit in terms of working up the rankings in order to get a title shot but it's plain as day that his ability and maturity puts him right up there. He ran Salido very very close in his first title shot and I think that performance proves he belongs at the top end of the division.

It was an odd fight, Gary Russell Jr is considered a top talent, and although has 20 odd pro fights he only ever fought tomato cans, and the fight was for a vacated belt. 

I thought Loma showed great technique and ability throughout, he just needs to work on pacing fights better, he tends to give some rounds away through inactivity, perhaps he could do with improving his stamina so he doesn't have obvious lulls in activity. Besides that he appears already to be among the sports premier technicians. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Loma was absolutely incredible last night. Technically superb. Personally right now I think he beats Donaire, especially as Donaire is clearly not the fighter he was 2-3 years ago. I guess Rigondeux is the big match up the purists are craving for.

Crawford v gamboa next week. Cant wait! Crawford looked good against ricky burns (although I guess it wasnt hard not to) and ive always loved watching gamboa despite his obvious flaws and that he has bee inactive since being with '50 cent promotions'.

Ricky Burns fights Friday night on sky, although ive never heard of his opponent ive read he is decent and will prove an extremely tough comeback fight for burna. Might be worth having a few quid on his opponent if the reports ive read are true.

I'm still not sure anyone with 3 never mind 2 fights should get a shot at a belt.

They do in UFC and thats without the 450+ amateur fights like Lomanchenko has had.

I really don't give a shit about UFC.

I'm still not sure anyone with 3 never mind 2 fights should get a shot at a belt.

They do in UFC and thats without the 450+ amateur fights like Lomanchenko has had.
I really don't give a shit about UFC.

Lol yeah UFC is a load of BS to be honest. I tried to get into it but nah its awful to watch. It seems to attract a certain demographic of roid head idiots who think they are tough in their 'tap out' tshirts.

Yeah ive never rated him but a bit harsh to call him a paper champion. His world title win was against a legitimate world level opponent in rocky martinez and against all odds he managed to win on points in a fight of the year contender. His defences since then have been woeful though.

If you want a paper champion look no further then scott quiqq and jamie mcdonnell. Its a scandal that they can call themselves 'world champions' when they aint really.

Burns has always been terrible, stiff, robotic, upright, no defence, no power and predictable. The only thing he had was heart. Rocky Martinez really didn't have any wins on his record of note, Burns only once fought a top lightweight (Crawford) and he got beat very clearly. He showed no ambition to go abroad and fight the best because he had a cushy set up in Glasgow. 

What a fight and certainly a fight of the year contender. Didnt realise crawford was that good and even in defeat Gamboa's stock has risen despite his dodgy chin being exposed tonight. The best crowd amd atmosphere at an american event ive seen in a long time as well. Incredible entertainment.

The commentator gary logan said that crawford is the closest to thomas hearns he has ever seen. I was thinking that the whole fight. His jab is sensational and looks comfortable fighting in either southpaw or orthodox.

Intresting that after the fight 50 cent was missing from Gamboa's side...gamboa needs to get rid of him and join top rank or golden boy to become more active again.

Edited by donnie

Crawford is the goods, but seriously, he's nothing like Hearns, his power anywhere near that sort of level. 

Gamboa did well for the early rounds, but when they both squared off I knew Crawford would win and likely by stoppage he was too big for Gamboa both in terms of height and weight on the night. 

Gamboa's technical deficiencies where exposed, he has no defence, he's too stiff and upright and his chin is glass, but he did show his blistering handspeed and did hurt Crawford a couple of times, I think the key takeaway from a Gamboa standpoint is that he's too small for lightweight and needs to go to super feather and see what he can do there.

Crawford obviously now has a lot of stock and should look to move up to junior welterweight for bigger fights since there aren't any at lightweight, although I will still argue that Miguel Vazquez is the number 1 lightweight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

• 2 weeks later...

Alvarez v Lara on Saturday (well Sunday morning) I'm looking forward to it, should be a good fight so I'll be staying up for it.

I've got Alvarez as quite a strong favorite for this one

Has anyone seen the undercard for it?

here

The full undercard for the July 12 Showtime pay-per-view event headlined by Canelo Alvarez and Erislandy Lara has been announced, with notable names such as Juan Manuel Lopez, Abner Mares, and Mauricio Herrera part of the bill.

Lopez (34-3, 31 KO) will be taking on prospect Francisco Vargas (19-0-1, 13 KO). Vargas, 29, is actually only slightly younger than the 30-year-old Lopez, but obviously has far less miles on him than his Puerto Rican opponent. JuanMa is coming off of a big win over Daniel Ponce De Leon, which has given his career new life. Vargas last fought on March 8, beating Abner Cotto over 10 rounds.

Mares (26-1-1, 14 KO) will finally return from his first pro loss, a stunning first round knockout at the hands of Jhonny Gonzalez last August. The 28-year-old Mares, who has held titles at 118, 122, and 126 pounds, will face Puerto Rico's Jonathan Oquendo (24-3, 16 KO). The 30-year-old Oquendo is a solid fighter but more gatekeeper than contender, and this is a pretty standard "get-well" matchup for Mares, and could also be an exciting action fight.

Herrera (20-4, 7 KO) will get another Showtime opportunity following his debatable March loss to Danny Garcia in Puerto Rico. The 34-year-old veteran will be facing Johan Perez (19-1-1, 13 KO), who has won four straight since a technical decision loss to Pablo Cesar Cano, including victories over veteran Steve Forbes, Paul Spadafora, and upcoming Showtime main event B-side Yoshihiro Kamegai.

Also slated for action, likely on SHO Extreme, is WBO bantamweight titlist Tomoki Kameda (29-0, 18 KO), the youngest and perhaps best of the fighting Kameda clan. He'll be defending against Pungluang Sor Singyu (46-2, 31 KO) in what might actually be the best undercard fight of the night.

Didn't see the fight, saw the cards.  First thing I thought was one of the judges was bent.  Why do they make it so obvious?   Two very tight cards, oh, and one of them gives it to Canelo by 8 rounds. 

Â