The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Martinez was shot to shit, the sort of athleticism he had 2-3 years ago is now gone, I guess Martinez was keen to cash out, but obviously has to retire as he has been crippled by his injuries.

Cotto looked very good but won't do anything at the weight, he'll either have to move down or face execution against someone like Golovkin.

Martinez's balance wasn't there and he wasn't able to move freely as he used to, he also wasn't able to sit down on punches at all, his knees were just a mess. I think this was a Martinez cherry pick that back fired, he knew he'd make a nice purse from this and felt that Cotto would be too small for his knees to be much of an issue. He underestimated both Cotto's power and also the condition of his own body. It's quite sad to see a very good champion go out like this, in retrospect he should have retired after struggling immensely with Martin Murray (a fight were he also blew out his knee and broke his hand). He got the win (albeit controversial) in front of thousands of his adoring fans.

This is just a frankly embarrassing way to go out.

Ah well, I hope Cotto is serious about his stint and middleweight and looks to fight Golovkin, although I do expect him to drop down to 154 and fight Canelo.

Isnt cotto with toprank though?? If so then no way will he fight canelo so the only option is golovkin.

Although not confirmed, looks like the lara v canelo fight is off which im gutted about. With the split with richard schaffer and de la hoya, lara has left golden boy promotions and mayweather will no longer work with them.

I'm not 100% sure what Cotto's obligations are, last I understood he was a promotional free agent, I don't think he's really tied into Top Rank, he has fought on both Showtime and HBO over the past year and a half. Also Golden Boy is completely up in the air at this moment in time since Richard Schaefer, the real brains behind the company, has left as CEO and there's going to significant legal action going on between him and De La Hoya. 

Cotto - Canelo was going to happen, and would have, if Cotto had beaten Trout, but he lost that pretty convincingly. The way I see, the options on the table are Canelo (or the winner of Canelo vs Lara), Mayweather in a rematch (Mayweather would have a chance to win a middleweight belt so very appealing) and Golovkin (a fight I don't see Cotto taking on because it would be a squash match in favour of GGG). 

Cotto is probably the third biggest draw in the entire sport, so he can make things happen, if someone like Arum is an impediment to that I'm sure he'll just do it on his own, such is his clout. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Yep sensational KO, especially given Jackson (son of legendary puncher Julian Jackson), was beating Lee from pillar to post, and actually scored a good knock down in the first round.

154 doesn't seem to be a good weight for Lee, he looked drained, his movement wasn't there and his jab was sloppy, he also didn't seem to take the punch as well as he did at 160, obviously the power is there at 154 but I think he should consider moving back up. 

That punch was so fast it was the third replay before I even saw it.  :blink:

This punch by Julian Jackson is still the best one punch KO I've ever seen.  Herol Graham was no bum either. 

Graham was winning that fight at the time, he was boxing beautifully, but Jackson's power coupled with Graham's glass chin meant that he was always going to sleep. 

Jackson had outrageous power, a real knockout artist. 

The ref wouldn't even bother counting a KO like that these days, he would just roll the dude on his side and wave the fight off

Yes, I do like the ref standing over him counting to 10.

Brian rose fighting andrade for the world title Saturday. Rose has to be the second worst fighter ive seen from the UK to fight for a world title after Lee Purdy. He has that little chance that sky hasnt even bothered to promote it.

Provodnikov, the most exciting fighter in boxing, is the headline. Ive never heard of the guy he is fighting. Worth watching though just to see Provodnikov.

Edited by donnie

Agreed, it's annoying when they waive the count off early nowadays. 

Yeah because watching the bloke gibbering on the floor with potential brain damage is just so much more fun isnt it?!

• Like 2

Absolutely.  If a guy is unconscious then the doctor needs to get into the ring ASAP.  Not letting him in until some bloke has counted to ten is as dangerous as it is stupid. 

• Like 2

Agreed, it's annoying when they waive the count off early nowadays. 

Yeah because watching the bloke gibbering on the floor with potential brain damage is just so much more fun isnt it?!

If someone is on the floor with their eyes rolled back and not moving then fine but counts very often get waived off early when a fighter is still trying to get to his feet, that's what I find annoying. 

Brian rose fighting andrade for the world title Saturday. Rose has to be the second worst fighter ive seen from the UK to fight for a world title after Lee Purdy. He has that little chance that sky hasnt even bothered to promote it.

Provodnikov, the most exciting fighter in boxing, is the headline. Ive never heard of the guy he is fighting. Worth watching though just to see Provodnikov.

Yes Andrade is good and will put a beating on Rose. 

I agree viz. Provo, very exciting, very tough and powerful. Algieri doesn't have much power but is a decent well schooled boxer, I expect Provo to win, but if Algieri sticks a jab and moves well he will prolong the fight.

I'd love to see Provo fight Danny Garcia or Marquez this year.

Well, it looks like Algieri showed the jab and movement that I said would cause Provo problems, still, I never expected Algieri to win this . I'm gonna have to wait til later to watch but it sounded very dramatic. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Great fight, i personally had Provo by 2 rounds at the end, just because of the 10 - 7 first round

Other than that Algeri handled him really well, Provo wasn't very good though to be honest, he hunted him down for every second of the fight but didn't do anything when he got close making Algeri look better.

Seems like a good bloke but good luck defending that belt next time.

Poor performance from Provodnikov, shocked at his tactics considering he has freddie roach as his trainer but nah he never lost that fight.

Good performance from Aligeri and it was no way a 'robbery' but his attacks consisted of light punching flicks with no penetration beyond any of his punches other then the odd jab that got through. Fair play to him though especially fighting 11 rounds with one eye.

Rose got destroyed just as expected. I know andrade is 3 levels above him but dont get the mentality of someone like rose in getting a major shot at a world title just to get in there to make up the numbers and cover up without attempting to go for a win.

I just finished with the fight and enjoyed it. 

The only thing Provo did wrong was head hunt too much rather than go to the body consistently. Let's be honest, Provo is not and never has been a tactical fighter, he's a come forward brawler who mainly throws hooks. Show him and jab and lots of movement and he will struggle, the only surprise is that it was Algieri who had the goods to do that rather than someone more well known. 

It was very close and I think could have been scored for Provo, but Algieri really did show beautiful movement at times and was very, very busy. It's a great achievement for someone who only started boxing at 23 (having been a kickboxer before that). 

Provo will bounce back but really needs to be matched against someone who will stand and trade if he's to be really effective. I'd like to see him fight Marquez, I think that would be an excellent fight. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

n9i9mNm.png

What the hell happened to Chad Dawson?  The second picture is the weigh in ahead of his fight tonight, which appears to be in a pub car park or something.   He is fighting for just $12,000. It should have been $15k, but he has been fined 20% of his purse for failing to make the weight (light heavy). 

Â