The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Martinez vs Cotto is a weird fight.

Cotto never really convinced me at 154lb let alone being viable at 160lbs. Although he destroyed a very ordinary boxer in Delvin Rodriguez in his last fight, he got taken apart by Austin Trout, and Trout was able to take the Cotto punch very well. 

I don't see Cotto having the power to trouble Martinez, Martinez of course has been hit and downed by very big punchers like Pavlik and Chavez and was able to survive and ultimately win those fight. 

Martinez also has legit. knockout power at the weight, having stopped some very tough and durable middleweights in his time and put beatings on others who hasn't stopped (Chavez and Pavlik). I see Martinez having too much power and too much handspeed.

The only way I see Cotto winning is if Martinez really is completely crippled and gets injured during the fight or is completely shot to shit. Even semi-shot Martinez, at 60-70%, should have enough to beat up someone who is really just a fat welterweight. 

any way here is the next few weeks of boxing (on Boxnation anyway)

Some good fights coming up, looking forward to Martinez and Cotto but the big one is obviously Canello and Lara, that has the potential to be a cracker, Buglioni is fighting soon as well, that will be interesting after the way he got KTFO in his last fight, you've also got Rigondeaux coming up soon along with Fury v Chisora

Jon Lewis Dickinson

V

Ovill McKenzie

DavidPrice

V

YaroslavZavorotnyi

SergioMartinez

V

MiguelCotto

RobertGuerreroV

YoshihiroKamegai

Gary Russell Junior

V

Vasyl Lomachenko

Devon Alexander

V

Jesus Soto Karass

ErislandyLara

V

Saul Alvarez

Juan Manuel Lopez

V

Francisco Vargas

Johan Perez

V

Mauricio Herrera

Lara will beat Alverez imo. Also as alverez is goldenboy, pacman toprank that fight cant happen so not sure what roach is talking about. Pacman recently signed a new deal with toprank meaning the mayweather fight will defo never happen now.

Cant choose between martinez v cotto. Martinez looked washed up against murray but can cotto successfully move up in weight especially as he is also past his best.

One thing you have got to say for Alvarez is that he is taking the big fights now, I know there was a lot of people questioning him with his 40 fight record against bums but out of his last 4 fights 3 of them have been probably the biggest names he could go for.

Martinez Cotto tonight, I say Martinez absolutely wipes the floor with him, Cotto weighed in at 155lbs, Martinez at a tad under 159lbs (this fight is at catchweight of 159lbs). Martinez will rehydrate up to around 170lbs, he'll be too big, too powerful and too fast for Cotto.

Hasn't Martinez been banned from wearing a knee support or something like that? Sounds a bit petty if you ask me.

I'm backing Martinez as well, I didn't see it but I heard that Cotto somehow actually looked smaller than usual.

Nah Martinez has been allowed to wear it after the initial fuss.

Cotto is a fat welterweight, Martinez is a fully fledged middleweight (albeit a small middleweight), Cotto is going to get destroyed unless Martinez's knee blows out. 

Also I think Porter will give Brook hell, will be a good fight. 

Eubank Jr waltzing with another bum this evening but he's got his dad in the corner and he's absolutely hilarious - he climbed through the ropes at the end of the first, all tailoring, a peacock - he stood about eight feet from Junior, in the middle of the ring and just stared at him on his stool - for the full length of the break - Not. A. Word. Ding Rnd 2. Eubank Jr may or may not be any good, but his fights are great comedy.

I didn't realise he was fighting again tonight, they have gotta start looking at stepping him up soon, he was sparring with Froch before his groves fight and a video was leaked that showed him giving Froch quite a rough time, that's all a crock of shit but it's still interesting

career best from Cotto? quite possibly but then on the flip side he has just got in the ring with a full on cripple, I can't see why Martinez took the fight if he is in so much trouble with his knee, he knew beforehand that he would struggle that was why there was so much noise about him wearing his knee support.

He doesn't strike me as the sort of fighter who would do it just for the money either.

Martinez was shot to shit, the sort of athleticism he had 2-3 years ago is now gone, I guess Martinez was keen to cash out, but obviously has to retire as he has been crippled by his injuries. 

Cotto looked very good but won't do anything at the weight, he'll either have to move down or face execution against someone like Golovkin.

Martinez's balance wasn't there and he wasn't able to move freely as he used to, he also wasn't able to sit down on punches at all, his knees were just a mess. I think this was a Martinez cherry pick that back fired, he knew he'd make a nice purse from this and felt that Cotto would be too small for his knees to be much of an issue. He underestimated both Cotto's power and also the condition of his own body. It's quite sad to see a very good champion go out like this, in retrospect he should have retired after struggling immensely with Martin Murray (a fight were he also blew out his knee and broke his hand). He got the win (albeit controversial) in front of thousands of his adoring fans. 

This is just a frankly embarrassing way to go out. 

Ah well, I hope Cotto is serious about his stint and middleweight and looks to fight Golovkin, although I do expect him to drop down to 154 and fight Canelo.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Martinez was shot to shit, the sort of athleticism he had 2-3 years ago is now gone, I guess Martinez was keen to cash out, but obviously has to retire as he has been crippled by his injuries.

Cotto looked very good but won't do anything at the weight, he'll either have to move down or face execution against someone like Golovkin.

Martinez's balance wasn't there and he wasn't able to move freely as he used to, he also wasn't able to sit down on punches at all, his knees were just a mess. I think this was a Martinez cherry pick that back fired, he knew he'd make a nice purse from this and felt that Cotto would be too small for his knees to be much of an issue. He underestimated both Cotto's power and also the condition of his own body. It's quite sad to see a very good champion go out like this, in retrospect he should have retired after struggling immensely with Martin Murray (a fight were he also blew out his knee and broke his hand). He got the win (albeit controversial) in front of thousands of his adoring fans.

This is just a frankly embarrassing way to go out.

Ah well, I hope Cotto is serious about his stint and middleweight and looks to fight Golovkin, although I do expect him to drop down to 154 and fight Canelo.

Isnt cotto with toprank though?? If so then no way will he fight canelo so the only option is golovkin.

Although not confirmed, looks like the lara v canelo fight is off which im gutted about. With the split with richard schaffer and de la hoya, lara has left golden boy promotions and mayweather will no longer work with them.

Edited by donnie

Â